Menu

Talkbox.mom reviews

Has anyone used this recently? I'm interested but it's so expensive. If I just bought their  phrase book (Use Spanish At Home) and printed and laminated our most used phrases and items would that be the same thing? Not sure when I'd have the time to do that though...

Edited by Momof4sweetkids
  • Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Stuff-Spanish-English/dp/0960614028/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1VCVR1DAXIO8E&keywords=kids+stuff+spanish+book&qid=1687284263&sprefix=kids+stuff+spanish+book%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-3 This is much cheaper and the same idea as their phrasebook. No audios though, although Spanish pronunciation is pretty straightforward compared to something like French. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, the TB.M phrase book is not the same as the boxes at all. The boxes do have a vocabulary theme (kitchen/snacks, etc) but there are also different grammatical structures used in each box. There’s a definite progression of difficulty through the program in the boxes (more grammatical structures, more words, faster audio, no English used on the last box). If you’re sold on the method, the boxes are the way to go. 

I have been through box 4 Spanish and box 6 French with my kids, then we fell off the wagon for quite awhile and I’m trying to decide if we will pick it back up. I think it’s a good method, the idea is good, the audio is sooo helpful with both listening and pronunciation practice, we learned a lot and when we use it consistently we do actually use the language in our day to day. My personal preference is for a method like this for younger kids, but I want more explicit grammar instruction for older kids. My biggest struggle with Tb.M  is that there’s no plan, no lessons, and the constant need to be motivated and make decisions on which phrases to learn just makes it difficult to be consistent for me. It can also feel stale/repetitive after awhile. 

if you’re looking for just some phrases to use & add to another program, we got more mileage from the homeschool phrases packet than the phrase book. Especially the coffee phrases. 🙂 

Sure! Yeah, the program doesn’t teach grammar by analysis, but there’s definitely intent behind the types of structures and sentences used in each box. For example, in box 1 you learn to say “I’m hungry” and “we’re hungry,” you learn a bunch of nouns in singular and plural, how to ask for things, etc. In box 2 there are a lot of action verbs—mostly imperatives—and prepositional phrases used with locations. Parts of box 3 are almost like a Gouin series…you learn to say several sets of sentences in the informal future, present progressive, and past tenses in the first person singular. Box 4 reviews a lot of the previous structures plus adds adjectives and numbers and negative commands and some more common verbs in the first person plural. Box 5 has more of the verb tense series and adds the second person singular to it. It seems to be trying to introduce the most frequently used concepts rather than following a more traditional sequence (such as all present tense forms first). 

8 minutes ago, lucyintheshadowlands said:

Sure! Yeah, the program doesn’t teach grammar by analysis, but there’s definitely intent behind the types of structures and sentences used in each box. For example, in box 1 you learn to say “I’m hungry” and “we’re hungry,” you learn a bunch of nouns in singular and plural, how to ask for things, etc. In box 2 there are a lot of action verbs—mostly imperatives—and prepositional phrases used with locations. Parts of box 3 are almost like a Gouin series…you learn to say several sets of sentences in the informal future, present progressive, and past tenses in the first person singular. Box 4 reviews a lot of the previous structures plus adds adjectives and numbers and negative commands and some more common verbs in the first person plural. Box 5 has more of the verb tense series and adds the second person singular to it. It seems to be trying to introduce the most frequently used concepts rather than following a more traditional sequence (such as all present tense forms first). 

Oh man, you're talking me into spending the money now!

On 6/20/2023 at 2:06 PM, wisdomandtreasures said:

https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Stuff-Spanish-English/dp/0960614028/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1VCVR1DAXIO8E&keywords=kids+stuff+spanish+book&qid=1687284263&sprefix=kids+stuff+spanish+book%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-3 This is much cheaper and the same idea as their phrasebook. No audios though, although Spanish pronunciation is pretty straightforward compared to something like French. 

Would google translator be good enough for the pronunciation?

2 hours ago, Nm. said:

Would google translator be good enough for the pronunciation?

Kind of. The only issue with google translator is while it pronounces each word correctly, It's not always good at how you would say an entire phrase or sentence. For example if you had it do an English sentence, it sounds monotone to us. Different languages do the sentence intonations differently. I don't know how different Spanish is to English in how they intonate their sentences.

• Like 1