Menu

For Fun: Baby names you liked but never used

alysee

15 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This was always the problem with Mark. I think the universe smiled on us by having only one female child because apparently he knew nearly every single shrew named any name I liked, and couldn't get beyond it. Laurel was the ONLY other female name he agreed to beyond our daughter's first and middle name. That was it. He couldn't even come up with a middle to go with it. If another girl had come along, I likely would have been forced to bonk him on the head at the hospital, and while he was unconscious, name her and sign the birth certificate paperwork. 😂

I know someone who begged her husband to use a certain name for her first 3 daughters.  He said no.  Then he went on a work trip when she was like 37 weeks pregnant over her objection saying “you always go late.  I will be back in plenty of time.”  When he found out she had the baby while he was overseas he said he didn’t have to ask what she put on the birth certificate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Charlotte. I really really wanted my middle DD to be named this in honor of my grandfather, Charles. After my third was born, my DH heard someone else use this name and said "Oh, I love that. That would have been nice."  Cue murder face from me. Oh well. Maybe I'll have a granddaughter named Charlotte.  🙂

5 hours ago, madteaparty said:

for a girl, I had many names I recommended people when they asked but my daughter was always going to be named what she is named, no matter what absolutely anyone else said. 😉 Other girl names I like are Elodie, Manon, Beatrice, Calliope, (Callie for short), Eugenie. 

(my sister who is a PT says I like old lady names 🤣)

I know a 15yo girl named Calliope (Callie).  So it's still out there.  🙂

Well. I wanted my second son to be Benjamin, but sil used it for her son about 6 months before my boy was born. Then I wanted to name him Joseph, but dh didn’t like that. I also like Isaac and dh doesn’t like that. I wanted to name #5 August, but once again, dh. lol

So for boys: Benjamin, Joseph, Isaac and August.

For girls Alice, Sylivia, Violet, Vivian, Hazel

6 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Charlotte, Emma, Elaina.

I lobbied hard for Samuel twice but DH once upon a time a million years ago knew someone named Sam that he didn’t like.

I have a Reuben. It is a family name. I only agreed to it if we called him Ben, because I had known 3 Reubens and didn't care for them. He now introduces himself as Reuben most of the time, so a lot of people call him that. I don't mind it now because I associate the name with him instead of childhood acquaintances.

We kind of have a name formula.  We started out with our first kid with OT name, NT name and then felt obligated to continue it until we got to our last baby and decided we could break our own rule.  This one is OT name, OT name. 

5 hours ago, Ailaena said:

Girl: Aoifa, saoirse, Illyria, Tatiana 

boy: Melquiades, mordecai, Jean-anything

I’m sure you can see how none of these ended up making the cut 😂

Youngest is Saoirse. We'll see if she hates it/us when she is older LOL 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Melody. DH pointed out that it would be frustrating for a non-musical child. Bethany was another strong possibility. 

Timothy. South Park killed that one, Brendan. DH pointed out that he'd have to constantly correct people who called him Brandon.

I ended up being Donna because my parents couldn't agree on whether to go with Deborah or Debra. 

I have three cousins and three SILs my age named Deborah. 

If we ever had a boy his name would have been James Jeffery after my father and my hubby. We pretty much used up all of our girl names. I tried to give each of my girls an unusual first name and then a more formal standard middle name so that they would have options when they were older. Three of the first names were unheard of at the time but are not so unusual now and two had previously been unusual but somehow became super popular around the time they were born and now are the equivelant of Debbie way back when.

10 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Melody. DH pointed out that it would be frustrating for a non-musical child. Brendan. DH pointed out that he'd have to constantly correct people who called him Brandon.

It's true. We have a young family member named Brandon who often gets called Brendan. And a dear friend of mine married a man named Brendan who gets called Brandon. 

20 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Charlotte, Emma, Elaina.

I lobbied hard for Samuel twice but DH once upon a time a million years ago knew someone named Sam that he didn’t like.

I had briefly considered Benjamin, but it also happened to be the name of dh's boss, whom he detested. Hard NO on that one. 😆

• Like 1

I would have used Matilde for another girl and Tobias for another boy. I love the names Imogen and Xiomara but I wouldn't have used either because they would be a nightmare to pronounce in either English or Spanish. If I ever get a fur baby, I will absolutely use them, even if it's a boy.

On 6/9/2023 at 8:16 AM, alysee said:

Since I've come to the realization that 6 kids is enough for me I have been thinking about names we liked but never used for any of our kids. I would love to hear your names you never used for your kids.

Boys: Mason, Graham and Liam

Girls: Ivy, Charlotte and Poppy

I have two girls, and both have names from your list. 🙂 

Liked but didn’t use:

boys - Emmett, Oliver

girls - Evangeline, Eden, Laurel

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

Am I the only one who is gratified when her actual kids' names show up on others' lists of could've-been names? 👏🏼

No!

We have six boys in a row, so there are no more unused boy names hahaha.

We only ever agreed on one girl name, and that is our eldest and only girl.  So Katherine, Elizabeth, Julia, Abigail and probably a few more like Alice, Emily, and Joanna never got to be used.  Hi, I have a thing for classic, timeless names of Greek, Latin, or Hebrew origin. . . 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

Am I the only one who is gratified when her actual kids' names show up on others' lists of could've-been names? 👏🏼

It’s better than when catty women are ridiculing names and calling them things like “stripper names “. I was at the park once with my daughter who has one of the names they loudly ridiculed. (And no, I don’t think that there is anything remotely “stripper” about her name.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, happypamama said:

No!

We have six boys in a row, so there are no more unused boy names hahaha.

We only ever agreed on one girl name, and that is our eldest and only girl.  So Katherine, Elizabeth, Julia, Abigail and probably a few more like Alice, Emily, and Joanna never got to be used.  Hi, I have a thing for classic, timeless names of Greek, Latin, or Hebrew origin. . . 

I guess we're past the age of adding to our family, so now I feel like it's a pat on the back. 🤣

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

I know someone who recently named a child Florence, which seems to me like a very old-fashioned name.  I would suspect that she is named after someone dear.

That is the kind of name making a big comeback around here.  It’s a great name!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 3:20 PM, Condessa said:

Abigail and Esther.  I’ve had a few vivid dreams where I have twin girls named this and called Nabby and Nessy by their older siblings.

We have sisters in our troop with those names (not twins but only 1 year apart so very close)