Menu

Looking for math suggestions for dyslexic son (add, processing and working memory issues)

My 11 year old (on Saturday) son has been doing Singapore math since the beginning. It has been a really good fit in some ways, but this year (grade 5 math) has been a real struggle and I'm seeing that the more mastery approach of Singapore might be hard for him in that he is forgetting the concepts and then when we get to a Review he is SURE we didn't go over it. His mental math and conceptual understanding of the basics is good, but he seems a bit mentally overloaded. I've added in Daily Math Practice by Evan Moore which helps some, but am wondering if there is a math that would be some of the same strengths as Singapore Primary math but with more continual review built in. He is in tutoring for reading for the summer. I"m hoping that will allow more independence in understanding problems without my reading them, but do think the review issue will still be there.

I am also running into issues with my 3rd grader as well, but feel like for her it is more of math anxiety rather than inability. Though she is STUCK on long division. She is young for her grade and advanced in LA areas but has weakness in social/emotional areas.

My rising 7th grader finished Singapore 6 and did well with it, even in some years using IP and CWP so this is new for me. I know part of it is that I am less hands on with the younger ones than I was with the oldest.

I'd love thoughts

I'm going to argue that forgetting is ok.  Especially in a homeschool setting, as long as you are there to notice gaps and fill them as needed.  You'll notice when you do it that he probably picks it up more quickly the second (and third and fourth and...) time around.  It is also useful to see what didn't stick.

That said, two specific things we did to review:

• Do a few problems from the review pages rather than doing them all at once.
  • Run a supplemental workbook (Challenging Word Problems or one of the others) a half or whole level behind.