Menu

Old Copy of Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook?

Kris

Does anyone have an older copy of this book? I have the tenth and eleventh editions, and the recipe I'm looking for isn't in them.

The rolled sugar cookie recipe used to have a variation for drop sugar cookies. One of my books has a separate Drop Cookie recipe, but it has brown sugar in it, so I know it's not what I'm looking for.

Anyone have this? Or know what I'm talking about?

ETA: You know, the book with the red check table cloth on the cover. :-)

I can't find publication information in mine:confused: but I bought it in 1970 (I know 'cuz I wrote the date on the front page).

For "Drop Sugar Cookies," it says this:

Prepare Sugar Cookies (page 149) but omit ½ cup flour. Add 1 cup raisins or ½ cup broken nuts and ½ cup diced citron. Drop from teaspoon onto cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 48.

It doesn't say anything about topping it with a candied cherry.

The sugar cookie recipe is just a "regular" sugar cookie recipe. Do you need that?

Did you google?

:blushing:

*sigh* No, I did not. Thank you for taking pity on me. Can I say I was disoriented, being up so early in the morning, and use that as an excuse?

Thank you, ladies -- that's the one. My mom made those for Christmas every year, too, but the recipe *she* had didn't mention the cherries, so I always thought she "invented" that part. Ah HA! :lol:

ETA: Oops! Guess it wasn't *that* early. Never mind.

Well, I made my cookies last night. This is just too funny --

I didn't have shortening, so I substituted butter. I didn't have the candied cherries to put on top, but I did have the "fruit cake mix" -- and I love that stuff! Don't know why -- it really feels like sweet plastic -- but fruit cakes sent to *this* house don't get re-gifted, and they don't last long enough to use them for doorstops. :D

Anyway, I knew they'd be a little different, but they were *very* different! Going back over the recipe, I found that I had used baking SODA instead of baking POWDER. I could have *sworn* it said baking SODA! I checked it two or three times, but it didn't read "powder" until the fourth time. :lol: And I made them too big. It's supposed to make 48 cookies -- I didn't even get two dozen out of them.

Anyway, they were different, but they were still great! And they're gone!

I'd like to say I used my vast culinary knowledge and mad skills to create a great new -- "secret" ?? :D -- family recipe! In reality? As they say, eventually, even the blind rat finds the cheese. :lol:

Thanks so much for the help, Ladies. These cookies are awesome, despite my best efforts to totally mess them up.

:smilielol5:

\

Thanks so much for the help, Ladies. These cookies are awesome, despite my best efforts to totally mess them up.

I made JOC's molasses drop cookies. I had no cake flour, no ground clove, and only blackstrap molasses. I triple sifted and removed a teas for each cup, I used Penzey's Baking Spice (ohhh, I love that stuff) and mixed the BS mol half and half with light Karo.

Stupendous! Like little spice cakes. They, too, are gone.

I made JOC's molasses drop cookies. I had no cake flour, no ground clove, and only blackstrap molasses. I triple sifted and removed a teas for each cup, I used Penzey's Baking Spice (ohhh, I love that stuff) and mixed the BS mol half and half with light Karo.

Stupendous! Like little spice cakes. They, too, are gone.

Oooo! That sounds yummy! I'll have to try that -- but first I'm going to see how these mutant muffins turn out. :lol:

Ummm...which recipe is it?

Can someone write it down?

I am assuming that JOC = "Joy of Cooking" and, unfortunately, I don't have that book. I *did* Google :D but I didn't find one that said it was specifically from that book. So I did try! :001_smile:

I am assuming that JOC = "Joy of Cooking" and, unfortunately, I don't have that book. I *did* Google :D but I didn't find one that said it was specifically from that book. So I did try! :001_smile:

I wanted the recipe you baked...didn't you write above, "That is the one"? I just don't see a recipe in the thread...

I wanted the recipe you baked...didn't you write above, "That is the one"? I just don't see a recipe in the thread...

OH! Doh! Sorry! :lol:

Here it is:

Sugar Cookies

2/3 cup shortening

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

4 teaspoons milk

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar, orange peel, and vanilla. Add egg; beat till light and fluffy. Stir in milk. Sift together dry ingredients; blend in creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Chill 1 hour.

On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch. Cut in desired shapes with cutters. Bake on greased cooky sheet at 375º about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from pan. Cool on rack. Decorate. Makes 2 dozen.

You can also use this recipe as a drop cookie. Here is the directions:

Use recipe for Sugar Cookies but omit 1/2 cup flour. Add 1 cup seedless raisins or 1/2 cup broken nuts, and 1/2 cup diced citron. Drop from spoon onto cookie sheet. Top with candied cherries. Bake at 375º for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 4 dozen.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also didn't have the grated orange peel to put in them, either. So the ones I made really aren't much like the Drop Cookies in this recipe, I guess! :lol:

Sing it, sister!

I actually don't mind making the dough. The rolling bothers me cuz I struggle with making the cookies the same thickness.

I know what you mean! Each successive "rolling" always seems to come out different, which I guess wouldn't be such a big deal if I remembered to stand at the oven and watch them bake. Fortunately, you can cover much of those over-browned edges with more icing. :D