Menu

June and July K-2 Chat

BusyMom5

2 hours ago, Green Bean said:

My schoolroom is pretty empty since I cleaned it out last week. I have so many empty magazine holders now waiting for new stuff. 

I'm attempting to clean out and organize our homeschool/art/handicrafts/boardgame room. If it was in the budget, I'd pay someone to come help me. Organization is not a skill set of mine! But I'm trying. Bought a bunch of the cheap sterilize containers at Walmart for handicrafts and asked dh to add some shelving to the wall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Green Bean said:

I sorts decided on his new stuff. TGTB is fun for a summer fling, but not for "real" school for my guy.

😂 I just wish I hadn’t printed so much out. 

Edited by Nm.
  • Thanks 1

I set up 3 lower bookcase  shelves with Montessori style work and A Year of Playing Skillfully stuff for the little ones to do during with "quiet time".

Currently

2 Lauri alphabet puzzles

Rice and butterflies ECT sensory bin

Animal track and constellation cards

Animal track memory game 

Montessori red and blue rods

A few leftover workbooks and art project book

Animal lacing cards

Playdoe set up in a bin....green and brown playdoe in the fridge

I'm trying this for baby is coming soon and I thought it would be good for school time this fall. The idea is to change out 1 or 3 things each week and totally redo it 1X a month. I'll match the A Year of Playing Skillfully themes and add in my Montessori stuff. I'm excited to use what I have!

I'm going to have to train the 2 yr old alot with this but the 4 yr old did a good job today;) 2 yr old was napping.

Also big sis looked at the Year of Playing Skillfully calendar and decided pretend camping sounded fun she and little sis now have an elaborate set up outside;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Momof4sweetkids said:

I'm attempting to clean out and organize our homeschool/art/handicrafts/boardgame room. If it was in the budget, I'd pay someone to come help me. Organization is not a skill set of mine! But I'm trying. Bought a bunch of the cheap sterilize containers at Walmart for handicrafts and asked dh to add some shelving to the wall.

Yes to cleaning and organizing.... I've been working on the whole house a room or floor at a time since April.....the kids chalk it up to nesting for baby, but it isn't really. I just got motivated. The school room, our bedroom, the attic, and the upstairs bathroom got the biggest makeovers;) I haven't had to buy much....just move and organize and think about what I really wanted each space to look like instead of using each space to store furniture and stuff.... Well the attic got a floor and it is storing stuff but that is its job;)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, countrymum said:

Yes to cleaning and organizing.... I've been working on the whole house a room or floor at a time since April.....the kids chalk it up to nesting for baby, but it isn't really. I just got motivated. The school room, our bedroom, the attic, and the upstairs bathroom got the biggest makeovers;) I haven't had to buy much....just move and organize and think about what I really wanted each space to look like instead of using each space to store furniture and stuff.... Well the attic got a floor and it is storing stuff but that is its job;)

When's baby due? 

On 6/20/2023 at 12:08 PM, Green Bean said:

Got anything fun going on for the younger set?

DD5 is so fun to teach. She loves all the hands on activities and makes books out of everything. We've started a little of her Kindergarten stuff (I just can't help myself). It's been fun since DS6 has a few summer camps that she isn't qualified for. I have so many cutesy things for grandma and grandpa. 

DD5 also loves walking around in the garden and foraging. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momof4sweetkids said:

When's baby due? 

It's past due now;) I shouldn't be surprised....my babies like to stay in. I'm amusing myself by organizing all the school books, laminating posters, tearing apart new and sorting out old AAS/ AAR cards..... it's easier to do now I guess but I'm not very enthusiastic about it.

Edited by countrymum
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been so busy zi forgot to start a July Chat!  Oh well, I'll try to change the title to this one to include July, too 🙃

We started our school year right after the 4th,  so 3 weeks in!  Still trying to figure out a routine.  My little is getting schooled mostly in the afternoon or weekends bc I'm so busy with big kids.  Last year I got to around AAR2 lesson 20.  I started back at lesson 1 to review, and we've been working through LoE B, too.  If I were to suggest one thing for AAR to change,  it's Teaching the long vowel sound at the end of a syllable with 2-syllable words like moment, but then sometimes not, like Robin.  We've been counting consonants and trying to read the words, but she gets very frustrated.   LoE doesn't teach this until later.  We finally got through the Robot story, and I think from here forward she will find the lessons a lot easier.  

So- currently LoE B in the 67, AAR2 Lesson 15, Moffat Girls Spelling going into week 4.  

I spent some time this morning looking through some early readers and found some she should be able to read on her own now!  

Math- Saxon 1, lesson 25.  I'm going to need to get another program to supplement or maybe print some MM?  

Other stuff- I've got plans, but never seem to have time!  

• Like 1

• BusyMom5 changed the title to June and July K-2 Chat

We haven't started our school yet. I thought we might sort of school over the summer, but we didn't. Instead I've had some productive chats with my children over what they would like school to look like next year. I know I'm speaking to a 6 and 5 year old, but they have some good thoughts. (I'm taking them with a grain of salt.)

Their suggestions are going to change up my planning game a little. They requested smaller chunks of lessons with smaller breaks in between so they could digest the information. Eldest wants to do a math problem together everyday before he does the others himself. Youngest wants a break between the math lecture and the worksheet.  Youngest wants to start tracking her work. They both want to work at the dining table as opposed to the kid table they have. Eldest wants some of his reading to be done silently. (FYI this is a weeded out list my children did make some outlandish suggestions. 5 year old thought eating candy while doing her school work would help her.) 

I have to figure how to accommodate these requests. 

• Like 1

We are just driving home from our official summer vacation with Dad. I have a lot of peripheral stuff going on the next 2 weeks that is stressing me a bit, and then I want another few days to clear my mind and have my ducks in a row. So I am tentatively planning to start August 17. Older kid is in 2 co-op classes, which begin in Sept and Oct, so we have something of a rolling start. 

7 hours ago, Clarita said:

We haven't started our school yet. I thought we might sort of school over the summer, but we didn't. Instead I've had some productive chats with my children over what they would like school to look like next year. I know I'm speaking to a 6 and 5 year old, but they have some good thoughts. (I'm taking them with a grain of salt.)

Their suggestions are going to change up my planning game a little. They requested smaller chunks of lessons with smaller breaks in between so they could digest the information. Eldest wants to do a math problem together everyday before he does the others himself. Youngest wants a break between the math lecture and the worksheet.  Youngest wants to start tracking her work. They both want to work at the dining table as opposed to the kid table they have. Eldest wants some of his reading to be done silently. (FYI this is a weeded out list my children did make some outlandish suggestions. 5 year old thought eating candy while doing her school work would help her.) 

I have to figure how to accommodate these requests. 

Little Man earns gummy bears for some of his. It does help.

We've been back at it since 3 July. It has NOT gone well at. all.. I've chucked my original plan and started over which is not my favorite, but LM is very particular and has always been this way. GROAN! Good thing I bought everything used and my local store buys stuff back nicely. Still, it feels so hard.

My older kids are rolling along fine. They are beyond the age this thread is for, though. 🙂

• Like 1

We just got a game called Adsumudi for my DD5 (halfway through MM1) and she loves it and it's fun for me to play too. She even learned the basics of multiplication to be able to beat me more easily. 

Starting gymnastics in two weeks or so, so that's exciting.

I found out I'll be leading the littles in our co-op for read aloud and craft so I'm looking up ideas for that. If you have any great crafts for 3-7 year olds, I'll take them!

I'm also trying to find car-schooling ideas for when our activities start up. I'm looking at these: Learning Wrap-ups Subtraction Self Correcting Math Problem Keys https://a.co/d/2VUUbbN

School starts tomorrow at our house! I think the boys are very ready, although they would never admit it. Ds6 asked if we could read a lesson of OPGTR the other day. I think he would like to get through that book quickly (we'll finish this year probably Christmas-ish). We're half way through R&S2-hopefully something was retained during the summer. I hate stopping in the middle of a math book. We will also be starting our wiring program this year (Writing Strands) and Greek. I think he will enjoy both. I'm excited and nervous about tomorrow. Nervous that all my planning won't matter and it won't go well. I know there's always kinks to work through, especially week 1, but I always hope...

14 hours ago, Momof4sweetkids said:

We just got a game called Adsumudi for my DD5 (halfway through MM1) and she loves it and it's fun for me to play too. She even learned the basics of multiplication to be able to beat me more easily. 

Starting gymnastics in two weeks or so, so that's exciting.

I found out I'll be leading the littles in our co-op for read aloud and craft so I'm looking up ideas for that. If you have any great crafts for 3-7 year olds, I'll take them!

I'm also trying to find car-schooling ideas for when our activities start up. I'm looking at these: Learning Wrap-ups Subtraction Self Correcting Math Problem Keys https://a.co/d/2VUUbbN

FIAR or MP Enrichment guides are your friend.

https://fiveinarow.com/

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/art-and-music/

Veritas Press's Kindergarten Favorites, More Favorites, First Favorites Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 books might also be helpful. Their site is a bear to use, though!

Edited by Green Bean

On 7/22/2023 at 10:55 PM, Momof4sweetkids said:

crafts for 3-7 year olds

Sounds fun. Not an actual project, just thoughts: I’d pick a different biome each week such as caves, desert, ocean, river ( like those one square foot books) ... and do art for a few animals in each biome each week. To organize I’d pick a handful of animals for each and see what looked appropriate on a google search to gather materials for (based on what is available.) I’d probably do 3 stations (easier with helpers - adults or older kids). I’d start class talking about what each biome is and get input from the kids about what might live there....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on light school, which with planting the fall garden, harvesting, hanging garlic, playing, activities ... and the oldest going to camps... it is really super light school.

I just made new chore sheets for the kids. Trying a new point system... 

My kids really want to do their school work upstairs in our living space this year instead of my office downstairs (first floor is all workspace) I don't blame them, thinking we will try it one or two days a week when my workload is heaviest. I already am up and down the stairs constantly! The oldest is 13 so it might work... 

On 7/23/2023 at 12:05 PM, Green Bean said:

FIAR or MP Enrichment guides are your friend.

https://fiveinarow.com/

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/art-and-music/

Veritas Press's Kindergarten Favorites, More Favorites, First Favorites Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 books might also be helpful. Their site is a bear to use, though!

Thanks! Just put FIAR on hold at the library!

• Like 1

I'm also now stressing out a bit, because we are wanting a lot of extracurriculars for our kids and I'm overwhelmed. 

It sounds reasonable in our heads to want our kids to learn Chinese, one active thing, and music. One active thing is really two because I have two kids, one is absolutely passionate about baseball, the other child is not into activities involving running and balls. Ice hockey is out because other child also does not like contact sports.   

• Like 1

We had a credit for an online class so I gave my guy a few options and he picked the class on how to tie your shoes!?! He was adamant that it was the class he wanted. It helped! He did start shutting down and got frustrated, but the teacher helped keep him going and he did make it through the class and got a decent tie at the end. He was ready to learn it as he kept practicing (with help). A week or so later he’s made great progress and can do it most every time, he’s slow, but it works for his fingers. YAY! 

On 7/26/2023 at 9:22 PM, Clarita said:

reasonable in our heads

Yup, I hate how that works out. It all sounds great until we start filling out the calendar! There’s also the adage, the busier you are the more you get done. It’s worked before and I look back wondering how in the world we ever did all that, other times I’ve felt completely overwhelmed so I have no idea where the balance is - still trying to find it...

• Like 1

Week 1 complete! I started us out slow-we ended the week doing about 2/3 of the full load. Week 1 went great. Here's hoping that, when we add the other third of school in, it continues to go as smoothly. DH (a public school teacher) is still off for the summer so can occasionally help with the baby. When he goes back I'm on my own...😬

• Like 2

Also, I can not believe how much ds6 has grown mentally over the summer! His reading is so good-he's reading books probably a full year before his brothers read them. And geography has taken off too -he's got his continents down now and we're working on countries now. I'm sure it helped that he got really interested in Google maps this summer (that's 2/3 of my big kids that have enjoyed that. Can you tell we don't do video games here? Haha!) It's just fun that things I tried to explain in spring, and for which I received a blank stare, I now receive a, "oooooh!"

• Like 2

We started back today. I think 2nd grade ds is enjoying having routine again as he hasn't complained at all, unlike his older siblings. He jumped back in where he stopped in Beast Academy 2 and had to be told to stop after an hour, loved some Mystery Science, did ok in spelling, read Zoey and Sassafras happily once I agreed to sit and listen to him read, helped little brother practice the abc song, and is currently embellishing his handwriting page even though he's fine for the day.

• Like 2