Menu

Student/Teacher Guides for K12's The Human Odyssey

Jhwk21

I have seen people mention the student and teacher guides for K12's The Human Odyssey books (Vol 1-2), but many of them have said that they own them but didn't end up using them. I was hoping to get some insight as to why so many people seem to not use them.

If you own them but didn't use them, why not? If you did use them, what did you think of them?

I have the texts and plan to use them starting this coming year, but I can't find any samples of the student/teacher guides to determine if I want to buy them or not. Thanks for any insight!

Edited by Jhwk21

Yeah. I bought them but never used them. A lot of busywork, IMHO.  (Loved the actual textbooks, though).

I had them write some research paper and/or do futher reading on subjects that interested them as output/enrichment, rather than tests, quizzes, and 'projects'.  We'd also watch documentaries or movies that aligned with the reading. 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

Just unnecessary.

We read the text, read additional library books to add depth to areas of interest. We discussed what we read. My student wrote some for history, a beginning research paper, summaries, beginning essays etc. We watched documentaries and movies and did a timeline.

No projects for my project-hating kid! No busywork. I don’t need their discussion questions. Our discussions were robust.

We used Human Odyssey as a spine for 5th-8th, spreading 3 volumes over 4 years.  

• Like 4

It is set up to use with the online course, so I spent a bit of time weeding through what parts would be useful for us. I liked the maps and writing prompts especially, we used some of them but after a short while reading a discussing the text was as much as I could get from my boys. I have loved vol 1, we will finish this week. I could send you a pdf of some sample pages if you like

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dudley said:

It is set up to use with the online course, so I spent a bit of time weeding through what parts would be useful for us. I liked the maps and writing prompts especially, we used some of them but after a short while reading a discussing the text was as much as I could get from my boys. I have loved vol 1, we will finish this week. I could send you a pdf of some sample pages if you like

That would be great! But only if it's not too much trouble for you. Thank you!