Menu

May gardens

prairiewindmomma

12 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

😂

Mark saw the bunny foo foo in the yard last night. He is absolutely furious at that little thing for eating all the leaves off his fledgling blueberry bush. He is out for blood! But it is very cute, just adorable, and very young, no mamma in sight. I love bunnies. However, the little menace will end up going after my green bean bed (Mark bought new plants because he decided he didn't want to risk planting seeds and getting no germination in this soil). I am putting out some 24" high fencing perimeter around the bed, and lining it with rocks and cardboard around the base in the hopes of warding off the little urchin.

I hope you bought a very tiny weave and not the stuff labled "rabbit guard".  The holes are far too big in the "rabbit guard" to keep out babies.  The cute little babies squeeze through my fence regularly and holes are only 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I hope you bought a very tiny weave and not the stuff labled "rabbit guard".  The holes are far too big in the "rabbit guard" to keep out babies.  The cute little babies squeeze through my fence regularly and holes are only 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch.

Very tiny weave, because I had a huge roll of of it and did multiple layers, staggered, so the openings are at most 1/2" and it is a serious maze to try to penetrate. Then again, never underestimate a bunny and their love of human gardens even though they have plenty of other things to eat.

• Like 2

Ok so. Basically everything is done blooming or dead. Annuals are insanely priced right now. 

I am having people over this weekend for a garden event that has been planned for a year. I guess they will get to admire a lot of dirt.

• Sad 5

12 minutes ago, SHP said:

Ok so. Basically everything is done blooming or dead. Annuals are insanely priced right now. 

I am having people over this weekend for a garden event that has been planned for a year. I guess they will get to admire a lot of dirt.

I am so sorry!!! That stinks.

• Like 2

I've got the start of a hop garden now!!! If these first two vines do well, I may branch out next year.

I orinially planted these to provide some shade and privacy (a cozy feeling) for my new pergola. At $30 a pot, I didn't want to start out too ambitious! 😉 

20230529_103033.jpg

20230529_103046.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I've got the start of a hop garden now!!! If these first two vines do well, I may branch out next year.

I orinially planted these to provide some shade and privacy (a cozy feeling) for my new pergola. At $30 a pot, I didn't want to start out too ambitious! 😉 

20230529_103033.jpg

20230529_103046.jpg

Gorgeous! Love it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

Gorgeous! Love it!

Thanks! My next big job is to take out all the patio stones and bricks to re-lay them properly and a lot more flat. I just threw them all in to see if they'd fit, then I covered them with outdoor carpeting. Now I'm using the carpet elsewhere and I need to go back and do the patio like a "real landscape artist." 🤣

• Like 3

Two huge neglected beds that I'm redoing are totally infested with chiggers! I am doing all the things to prevent getting bitten but they are still getting me. So itchy!!! I sleep with all the anti-itch potions on my bed stand.

I might need to get a haz mat suit. 😁

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have been shoveling mulch. I still have about 3 cubic yards to go. The blisters on my hand that broke keep rebreaking open and bleeding. It’s gross.

Not that it would help with blisters (good fitting gloves may help prevent blisters going forward), but I find a garden fork works way better than a shovel with mulch. Way less resistance when trying to get hold of a scoop of mulch. Yes, there is a little "leakage" but it's not as much as one might think.

Three cubic yards is a LOT! You must have a giant garden. At least mulch is way lighter than soil or river rock! 😉 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have been shoveling mulch. I still have about 3 cubic yards to go. The blisters on my hand that broke keep rebreaking open and bleeding. It’s gross.

Oh I feel you!  I got 4 cubic yards of soil delivered yesterday for my new raised beds.  The only problem is that it is 90 degrees outside AND my foot is sprained with a chip in the bone so I have to wear a walking boot so I can barely make it from the pile in the front yard to the beds in the backyard AND one of my helpers got pulled to sit with my elderly relatives who are having medical issues.  

So bit by bit we are getting it moved but it's taking so much longer than I hoped.  

To add to my woes, the pipe to the outside faucet burst last night so even if I wanted to plant, I have no way to run water.  Plumber said a lot of people are having the same issue (assuming they froze inside the house during the winter but until you try to use outside water for the first time, you don't know) so it's going to be a week or more before he can get to us.

I hope your hands heal quickly!  I can't imagine trying to shovel while dealing with that.

• Sad 5

On 5/29/2023 at 10:05 AM, wintermom said:

Thanks! My next big job is to take out all the patio stones and bricks to re-lay them properly and a lot more flat. I just threw them all in to see if they'd fit, then I covered them with outdoor carpeting. Now I'm using the carpet elsewhere and I need to go back and do the patio like a "real landscape artist." 🤣

I wosh you luck! I gave up, returned the stones, moved the foundation and shaped thick concrete "stones" on packed dirt and filled in dirt around them so I could plant Irish and Scottish Moss. It is wrong? Yes. Do I care? No. My sanity comes first. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SHP said:

I wosh you luck! I gave up, returned the stones, moved the foundation and shaped thick concrete "stones" on packed dirt and filled in dirt around them so I could plant Irish and Scottish Moss. It is wrong? Yes. Do I care? No. My sanity comes first. 

I did something even easier - I bought an outdoor carpet to place over the existing patio stones so I don't have to move them at all! 😅

• Like 1

I called my grandmother yesterday. She is 94 and has been gardening since she could walk. 😉

She told me she just planted okra seeds for THE THIRD TIME. That made me feel better lol. It must be a bad year for okra. (I had mentioned upthread that none of my okra came up.)

• Like 1