Menu

Biscuits and Gravy s/o of cooking challenge thread

saraha

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Basically, ham cut into small pieces, in a white cream sauce.

First you make a roux . . . .(boy that has been drilled into me . . . it's a basic of all white sauces)
1/4 C butter

1/4 C flour   

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp powdered mustard

melt butter in large sauce pan, moderate heat, add flour, pepper, mustard, mix well.

slowly add milk and cream

1 C milk - stir with a whisk so there are no lumps.

1/2 C light cream  (we often used evap milk.)

stir until thickened.

add 

1 1/2 C diced ham

1/2 tsp salt.

So it’s a bechemel with ham stirred in? 

18 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

basically.  with a bit of powdered mustard as well as salt and pepper.

Going to try this this weekend. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

basically.  with a bit of powdered mustard as well as salt and pepper.

32 minutes ago, saraha said:

Would you make it again?

Yeah.

I might play around with some recipes for homemade lower salt sausage and whole wheat biscuits so that I can serve it to Pop and feel good about it.   I have serious anxiety about food (this probably doesn't surprise anyone here).  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BandH said:

Yeah.

I might play around with some recipes for homemade lower salt sausage and whole wheat biscuits so that I can serve it to Pop and feel good about it.   I have serious anxiety about food (this probably doesn't surprise anyone here).  

I bet he would appreciate that

4 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I tried one last time this morning.  This time I used a whole chub.  It’s ok.  

3B7D52B0-0580-4419-818B-8D60BD664A7C.jpeg

Did you add salt and pepper? Pepper is important. Also, the spicy breakfast gravy makes a much more flavorful gravy. It doesn’t taste particularly ‘spicy’ it’s just more/better flavor because it’s seasoned more. 

• Like 1

Honestly, some of these look a little bland. The sausage should get a nice crisp to it (a little black/dark brown is OK) before you add the other stuff and the pan 'crust' should tinge the gravy brown a bit. I think the mistake most people make is not cooking the sausage long enough or with enough heat to achieve a good fond. Otherwise it's just a bland as all get out bechamel with some sausage in it...BOH-RING.

Honestly the sausage was the part I didn’t like.  It tasted too much like sausage, lol.    I think I just don’t like sausage anymore.   I haven’t tried a turkey sausage chub, and that may taste better.  But honestly,  I don’t think I’ll make it again.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Honestly, some of these look a little bland. The sausage should get a nice crisp to it (a little black/dark brown is OK) before you add the other stuff and the pan 'crust' should tinge the gravy brown a bit. I think the mistake most people make is not cooking the sausage long enough or with enough heat to achieve a good fond. Otherwise it's just a bland as all get out bechamel with some sausage in it...BOH-RING.

This is the way.