Menu

All through the ages

Nm.

I know there was a post not long ago where it was mentioned.  How’s this resource working out for you?  I like the idea of a gigantic booklist in one place.  But I want honest feedback about how much you actually remember to use it.

When my kids were younger (and I was going off the 1st edition of TWTM before there were so many packaged curriculum choices), I used it a ton.  I planned my year around it.  By the time I was going through the history cycle again with my youngest, many of the books were either out of print or had been culled from my library and not replaced with anything comparable.  When we were studying the Vikings, there was maybe 6 inches of shelf space devoted to children's books on the Vikings, but about 1 foot of shelf space devoted to the Minnesota Vikings (and we don't live in Minnesota.)  I wrote a lengthy rant about how library collection curation had switched from educating and edifying the public to a popularity contest.  

• Like 3

Ahh I had to google to find out what you meant.  Not a sports fan 😂.  From the sample -colonial times - it appears my library system has many of them… however colonial times I would expect to find a bunch, so I’m guessing it’s not a good representation of other topics.

I used it frequently when my kids were younger. Some books are OOP or not in my library, but we were able to get many by ILL. It was a good resource. I am done homeschooling, it will be among the books I’m keeping.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

We owned it for several years, then sold it on.  It was helpful at the time for picking books for certain time periods or geographical areas, but we ended up changing how we homeschooled (ie buying curricula with book packages) and we moved on.  Part of our problem was that our library got rid of a lot of the old and wonderful books (like Rosemary Sutcliff's stuff!) and as books became more expensive, we had to become more choosy about what we bought, even in the used market.

ETA: We found the SOTW activity guide book suggestions much more helpful for the K-6 crowd than All Through the Ages.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1