Menu

What level Saxon did you use after Abeka Math 1-4ish?

alpinegrace

Hi everyone! Out of curiosity, if you have used Abeka math at younger grades (1st-4th) and then moved into Saxon, what grade did your child leave Abeka and what level Saxon did you start them in? I have heard many parents say that their child tested in higher levels  of Saxon after Abeka, but then there is a decision as to whether they really should go that high. How did you feel the switch went? Thanks!!

Thank you for the replies! I’ll give the placement test to be safe, but I wasn’t planning on bumping her into a higher level. I’m basically debating whether to use Abeka’s 4th grade math or Saxon 5/4. I think DD will dislike Saxon though because the lessons are long and black and white. I could definitely see her complaining about that. Her older sister uses it fine, but she needs all the practice and review it brings. It might be overkill for this kid who enjoys math. And Abeka just redid their 4th grade math and I’m probably thinking oooh shiny haha, BUT I’ve also heard that their math tends to slow down in 4th grade and I don’t care for that so much for this kid. I was curious to compare the kids who’ve used Abeka in 3rd grade vs 4th grade and then where they went into Saxon to see if it really does slow down. 

16 hours ago, alpinegrace said:

but I wasn’t planning on bumping her into a higher level

Isn't 6/5 5th grade, which would come after 4? Putting him in 5/4 if he can pass the 6/5 placement test seems counterintuitive, especially given that you're concerned about Abeka slowing down.

If your kid doesn't need as much practice but you're looking for something similarly independent, you could also look at Math Mammoth

1 hour ago, Malam said:

Isn't 6/5 5th grade, which would come after 4? Putting him in 5/4 if he can pass the 6/5 placement test seems counterintuitive, especially given that you're concerned about Abeka slowing down.

If your kid doesn't need as much practice but you're looking for something similarly independent, you could also look at Math Mammoth

Yes, 6/5 is usually used at 5th grade from what I’ve heard, (though my 6th grader will be using that next year.. the older sister who doesn’t care for math so much), but this is for an incoming 4th grader. So it seems a jump to go into 6/5, even though I’ve heard kids will place into that after Abeka’s 3rd grade.

I’ve never looked into Math Mammoth before, so I’ll have to give it a peek. Thanks!