Menu

Re: some schools eliminating honors classes

https://reason.com/2023/02/21/to-increase-equity-this-california-high-school-is-eliminating-honors-courses/

So some CA schools decided no honors for equity reason. I know they tried to take Algebra out of middle schools as well but I think that stopped for now. Is this happening just in my state? Are you seeing this elsewhere?

I think this is going to be good for homeschooling and all sorts of after-schooling here because I can’t imagine parents happy. I am already seeing a lot of tutoring centers pop up even in my rural area. Sadly only those kids with real resources will find alternatives. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

https://reason.com/2023/02/21/to-increase-equity-this-california-high-school-is-eliminating-honors-courses/

So some CA schools decided no honors for equity reason. I know they tried to take Algebra out of middle schools as well but I think that stopped for now. Is this happening just in my state? Are you seeing this elsewhere?

I think this is going to be good for homeschooling and all sorts of after-schooling here because I can’t imagine parents happy. I am already seeing a lot of tutoring centers pop up even in my rural area. Sadly only those kids with real resources will find alternatives. 

Yep, again the kids with money win. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

So some CA schools decided no honors for equity reason.. 

Haven’t read the article but won’t eliminating honors classes just make kids in those schools go for AP classes to boost their GPA?  Unless the schools eliminate AP classes as well. That would benefit people who have the means to pay for outside classes or who can after school their own kids. 

• Like 1

Just now, Arcadia said:

Haven’t read the article but won’t eliminating honors classes just make kids in those schools go for AP classes to boost their GPA?  Unless the schools eliminate AP classes as well. That would benefit people who have the means to pay for outside classes or who can after school their own kids. 

APs in our district are super controlled. You can only take Human Geo as freshman etc…. So they simply won’t let you register. 

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

APs in our district are super controlled. You can only take Human Geo as freshman etc…. So they simply won’t let you register. 

Same here except none as freshman so kids typically end up with 9 to 11 APs since they can take 4 or 5 for junior and senior year.

• Like 1

The public high school around the corner from us dropped honors classes a few years ago.  They’ve recently added back “honors option” were everyone is in the same classroom, but you can earn honors credit by doing additional assignments.  That’s how it worked at my high school when I was a teenager.  (We were a Title 1 school with very affluent white kids, and low-income black kids.  Separate honors classes would 100% have segregated the classes by race.) It’s a reasonable compromise.  Taking away honors altogether is just punitive for advanced kids.  Forget the extra GPA points, avoiding boredom is a real issue.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

The public high school around the corner from us dropped honors classes a few years ago.  They’ve recently added back “honors option” were everyone is in the same classroom, but you can earn honors credit by doing additional assignments.  That’s how it worked at my high school when I was a teenager.  (We were a Title 1 school with very affluent white kids, and low-income black kids.  Separate honors classes would 100% have segregated the classes by race.) It’s a reasonable compromise.  Taking away honors altogether is just punitive for advanced kids.  Forget the extra GPA points, avoiding boredom is a real issue.

I guess that could work if you kept the honors course as is and just required less input from non honors students, but I can’t imagine it working in our district. Non honors courses are completely different. They don’t even read the same books. The level is very remedial. If you combined the classes, you would need to really dumb down the input as well, not just differentiate the output. 
There is no testing requirement here to be in honors classes. If you weren’t failing the previous year, the classes are open to everybody.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I guess that could work if you kept the honors course as is and just required less input from non honors students, but I can’t imagine it working in our district. Non honors courses are completely different. They don’t even read the same books. The level is very remedial. If you combined the classes, you would need to really dumb down the input as well, not just differentiate the output. 
There is no testing requirement here to be in honors classes. If you weren’t failing the previous year, the classes are open to everybody.

I’m not saying it works perfectly, but it’s better than no honors classes at all.  There are ways to differentiate input, for example, at my high school regular students read the abridged Les Miserables and honors students were supposed to read the unabridged.  (Never actually finished that one…)  Both my high school and my current local high school primarily serve an affluent, well educated community, so the regular classes aren’t really remedial.

As a student I was frustrated by the honors options, because I wanted an honors classroom experience.  As an adult I realize how segregated my high school would have been with tracking.  I understand why they did what they did. (We did have separate classes for honors math, and they were 100% white.)

I guess the theory is if they track all kids together the advanced kids could bring up the regular or remedial kids. I think sometimes the piece that's missing is in order to really make that happen is the class has to cater towards above average and have support for all the students who aren't at that level. Then of course starting from Kindergarten/1st grade as oppose to start trying to correct course in high school.

The real issue is the regular classes are taught to slightly below average students. The support for students who aren't at level sometimes seem either non-existent (hard to come by) or be methodologies based on politics/ego rather than what might actually work for a student.  

• Like 2