Menu

April K-2nd Grade Chat

BusyMom5

I thought I'd start a monthly chat thread for those of us who have little ones in this age group. What are you looking at?  What is going well?  Have you found any great resources?  What are you struggling with? What fun things are you doing?

I have several older kids, and a Kindergartener who is rocking All About Reading, and I'm starting to plan for next school year- 1st Grade.  There are a lot of newer curricula and resources that I didn't know about when my older kids were little!  I am hoping a chat group will help us network and get to know each other and encourage each other 😉

Phonics- currently using a mix of AAR2 and LoE B.  I have a hard time picking a favorite program.  I think my DD likes LOE straightforward approach, the games, and the worksheets with Bingo, Tic-Tac-Toe.  The problem is that there aren't enough stories to read to reinforce, and no word lists for me to draw from, so I'm using LOE as more of a phonogram introduction and playing with sounds and AAR is what we do for reading practice.  We are finishing up reviews of LOE Lessons 50-60.  In AAR2 I'm around Lesson 15.  I'm not a fan of the way they teach words with the long vowel sound in the middle like frozen.  It's a harder concept we keep reviewing.  She's rocking silent e makes the vowel say it's name!  We tend to spend about an hour playing games from both programs and reading.  I think her reading is going very well!  For handwriting we are slowly finishing the HWT lowercase book- my kids a lefty and just recently was ready to really start forming letters correctly.  We are probably a bit behind in that regard, but no worries. I recently found a place with FREE handwriting worksheets, along with other free resources:

https://underthehome.org/

Math- We are finishing the new Primary mathematics Kindergarten B book, just another week or two left!  I also bought the Mastery extra practice book, so we might do that next.  I have enjoyed this and felt like it was the exact right thing for my DD.  I'm finishing up MWC K, too-   We weren't fans and right now I don't see myself getting level 1 (feel free to change my mind).  I have the Learning Resources Math Island game and she loves it!  We play several times a week.  She is using counting beads for the larger ones, but I already see her memorizing certain ones.  

Science and History- so far we are not really doing those as subjects.  We have started plants and she's been making as science journal (like Zoey and Sassafras).  She doesn't know it, but I also got a caterpillar growing kit that arrives on Monday!

• Like 4

I just bought Abeka phonics and math. My 5yo was hating Phonics Pathways because of how boring it was. She is an easy eager learner so I wanted her to continue her progression. For math, she seems to be a natural too finishing multiple pages of JUMP math that I decided to try Abeka Math too. We have been Reading Usborne books as she shows an interest. 

Edited by alysee
Spelling

We rock in AAR too my eldest is doing AAR level 3. Even though I think he reads beyond that level he still enjoys it and it's solidifying the whys behind the words he knows. Youngest 4 just started kind of being able to read CVC words, but I'm going to get her more fluent before moving her to AAR (I think AAR moves really quickly if you are learning along with it). She is chomping at the bit for AAR. She is using the 4 Weeks to Reading books, total misnomer, but it comes with a bunch of beginning phonics readers.  

We just started English Lessons Through Literature A, we are doing 1 lesson per week. Super slow because my kids are too young for it technically, but it's one of the few things that motivate my son to put pencil to paper. Then my younger 4 year old absolutely loves copy work, 100% not ready for it but she asks for it constantly. 

Youngest is doing MWC K we don't do all the activities, but the workbook is nice and gentle and it does give me a framework for what math things I can do with her. Next year we'll move to Singapore Math, she just doesn't need all the practice and review of MWC. Eldest has a love/hate relationship with BA1. On the one hand requests BA math everyday, on the other hand complains when the math problems are hard.

Science: We tried to do SCI (based on BFSU). It felt like a bit too much and a bit too serious. So, I paired the BFSU topics with Mystery Science videos. The Mystery Science sequenced lessons aren't enough we blow through those in 3 months.  

History: We really liked reading through Our Star Spangled Story from Notgrass. We just read the history book and occasionally do an activity. 

I love this chat idea!

Phonics-My DD would have taught herself to read but we've been going through AAR for the phonics knowledge. She's on AAR4. I noticed she doesn't apply the syllable knowledge to new, longer words outside of AAR though.

My 3 year old asks for school so we are going through See, Hear, Do for letter sounds and it's very cute!

I want a Yoto player so they can do audiobooks on their own but haven't been able to justify the cost yet.

Math-1 page of MM1 each school day and then lots of card and board games. We did MWC K before starting MM.

Handwriting-I want to switch over to copywork but DD prefers the TGTB handwriting workbooks. Sometimes I'll have her copy her Awana verse. I found a free printable spelling dictionary and now she likes to write stories since she can spell words without asking me.

No science or history yet. In theory I'd like to do Apologia once DD2 is old enough to follow along.

30 minutes ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

I want to switch over to copywork but DD prefers the TGTB handwriting workbooks.

I see people doing copywork plus handwriting book, and I'm unsure about the benefits of that vs. we just do copywork. I want to switch over to just copywork for DS. Undecided whether to do handwriting workbook with DD.  

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

I see people doing copywork plus handwriting book, and I'm unsure about the benefits of that vs. we just do copywork. I want to switch over to just copywork for DS. Undecided whether to do handwriting workbook with DD.  

I have used McRuffy handwriting for years.  Its a handful of words and a sentence or two each day.  In lower elementary I often use it to show grammar concepts,  too.  My DD (age 5) isn't quite ready for it yet, we are currently still working on forming letters correctly in HWT.  Once I feel like she has that figured out, I'll add a bit of copywork. I guess if letter formation is correct, switch to copywork.  If you still need to practice individual letters or words with a specific letter, a handwriting workbook might be better.  

• Like 2

My younger boy is finishing first grade. He has already rolled into second grade math (CLE) and is about to wrap up his last science unit and his reading program. He just got a How to Draw Cats book and is drawing different types and writing short stories or facts about them each week, and he loves this. I am finding he is very into classical music as I introduce compositions to them each month. He also asked me to teach him cursive, so we have started playing with that.

I have everything ordered for next year except for the CTC Mind Bender book 3. I just remembered Under the Home exists and I need to sit down and sort through what lessons I want to add in next year. I don't care to do everything they offer in any subject, but will likely sort through the humanities subjects for more add-ins. 

On 4/8/2023 at 2:53 PM, Clarita said:

So, I paired the BFSU topics with Mystery Science videos. The Mystery Science sequenced lessons aren't enough we blow through those in 3 months.

We’ve been using BFSU with Mystery Science too. I also like to add in picture books, like the Let’s Read and Find Out series. I think the combination works well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nichola said:

We really like All About Reading. I have one kid who has finished Level 4, one who just started Level 2, and another doing Pre-Reading. I suspect my middle kid may have mild dyslexia, and I’ve been pleased with how AAR has helped with reading skills. 

Have you all looked at the new All About Spelling books with colorful pages and activity books? I’m using the regular AAS books for my two older kids, and while it works, it is somewhat dry. I’m considering getting the new Level 1 activity book just to check it out.

I have been looking at the new AAS, but its very pricey for a spelling program.  For 1st grade I recently bought the Moffat Girls 1st Grade Spelling packet on TPT and I thought it looked fun.  I can't tell from the videos how the AAS workbook would be.  My DD is a fall birthday, technically she would just be entering K if we did public school, and her handwriting ability reflects that. She still needs to trace letters or look at them for reference and she needs plenty of space and the 3 lines to properly write them.  For now I think I'm going to wait until I see more reviews from people who buy it and use it instead of a few pilot testers.   

I will print out the Spelling Rule Posters if they make them available!  I thought they looked very cute!  

I tried AAS years ago with my older kids and they hated it, so it wasn't on my list.  I do like Soaring with Spelling and have used all 8 levels with various kids.   The Moffat Girls one is very similar, but looked a little more fun.

I plan to stick to the old AAS.  It is very open and go, I only use the manual and dry erase board.  It’s over in 3 minutes.  I’m terrible with AAR- I only use the flash cards, fluency pages & reader, not the activity pages/physical tiles.  Occasionally we use the letter tile app.  At this point we have even dropped flash cards for both children since it’s all sticking fine now. 

Edited by Lovinglife123

I stopped using the tiles too. I find them so annoying. We do use most of the activity pages. One of my friends told me to really use my imagination and tell a whole story around the activities and then they did become kind of fun. Even my younger child gets involved in the activities. 

• Like 1

I have a 5yr old who missed our state's K cut off by a few weeks, so we're doing preK/K light and will do official K next year but I think we'll keep on with what we're doing.

For phonics, I really didn't want an involved program at this age so AAS and LOE were out although I like their approaches. I chose Happy Cheetah, but it has issues. The pros- It is short and easy- which I love. The cons- it's too sight word oriented for me so we also do 1 page or lesson (whichever's shorter) in Alphaphonics. I also have rearranged the flash cards (sorry, game cards, LOL)  for Happy Cheetah into groups according to syllable rules/blends/vowel teams, etc, so we work through the words phonetically instead of by story. Luckily, we did AAS with my older kids, so I feel competent to explain phonics myself. We also have some BOB type books he reads and we do read alouds he picks from the library or home.

For math- we do Math Mammoth which is easy and boring, Dreambox, and some sort of challenge puzzles. We're doing a BA puzzles book now but we've done a few other things too. I'm planning to keep with this plan next year b/c I already own most of it.

Science- I have some Young Scientists' kits that we work through slowly. It's ok. I'm reminded why I ditched it with the older kids but it's much easier with one child and it's nice to have something with very little planning needed. It'll take us a while to work through the kits I already have.

Other- Exploring the World Through Story, A. I really like this because it's so open and go and gentle. I'll probably get the next level when we get through it but we usually only do 1-2 a week so it'll be a while.

I'm not sure if I want to go to the Happy Cheetah next level. I mostly like the way I've adapted it, but neither of us loves it. On the other hand, I don't want to do or pay for a big system again. I don't need the whole AAS or LOE package. Do you all know of a nice phonics programs for the early reader stage that is quick and easy? Happy Cheetah has handwriting, spelling, phonics (light), readers, and early grammar and punctuation familiarity packed into 2 pages at most a day. It's going to take 6mos to work through Alphaphonics at our pace but I know Alphaphonics alone isn't enough.

I know it sounds like my preK/K kid is doing a lot but we don't do it all every day. We spend about 1-2 hrs depending on how many breaks we take. I have a check list of things to do and he picks what we do that day. Anything not done is done the next day or the day after and we won't repeat anything until everything has been checked off and we start over. 

• Like 1

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading is quick and easy, but it's pretty boring by itself. So I would highly suggest supplementing with some readers just to make lessons a little more engaging. 

All About Learning also has a free resources section which has some printables of the games they use so you can use some of those for fun. I know WTM says lessons don't have to be fun but it certainly helps to get through the days. 

I have to say that I love RightStart math. My current 1st grader did a in Kindergarten but was not ready for b I didn't think last fall so I did math with confidence 1 with him this year. In the last month it has seemed way to slow so next year we are going back to RightStart. 

Little sis will slowly do level A for K4 in the fall. She is ready, but I'm not going to push to finish it. 

I think all my kids will be in the middle of math books when we break for summer....I think I'm getting better at going at their pace. I find this annoying, but they all needed a bit of extra drill and practice this year....

Don't be a slave to curriculum and tweak to fit...there is no perfect one.... No matter how old the student is;) I've really internalized that this year. Also your teaching style and preference is as if not more important than what the child likes. If you teach it well to your student it will likely work!

I love the idea of a chat! Ds6 has a fall birthday, so I'm doing 1st grade with him, but not worried if he's more K level in some things. He is doing really well with reading (we're using OPG). He is very motivated (seeing his older 2 brokers helps) which I am thankful for, because since dd was born a few months ago it has been very hard to do school with him. He just finished reading an easy star wars reader he got from the library. 

We're off school this week, but last week we did kind of a pre break break where I taught the kids different skills. His was tying a shoe. He kept wanting to practice all week. That kid is an enthusiastic learner right now. I'm struggling to find the time to sit down with him every day, but trying to give myself grace.

• Like 2

Dd6 complains I don’t do enough school with her… she’s reading chapter books and doing her math mammoth.. it’s enough but she sees her siblings doing more and thinks she’s behind or something 😂.  She could use some handwriting, I have HWT stored away for next year (their second grade level).  Maybe I’ll grab tgtb handwriting to finish out the year.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Dd6 complains I don’t do enough school with her… she’s reading chapter books and doing her math mammoth.. it’s enough but she sees her siblings doing more and thinks she’s behind or something 😂.  She could use some handwriting, I have HWT stored away for next year (their second grade level).  Maybe I’ll grab tgtb handwriting to finish out the year.

I got the TGTB handwriting in pdf form so she can go through it as many times as Dd wants. Something about the little bit of coloring or mazes makes it so fun to her!

• Like 1

Today was a mixed bag.  We have 1 or 2 days of math left, depending on how much she does each day.  She did it quickly and happily. She finished the HWT lowercase book!  Yay!  I will probably print out a few things to try.  I know she still needs tracing.  

Reading lesson is where we fell short.  I tried, but she took one look at the Broken Robot story and decided it was too many words.  I talked about addresses and letters, but she was set that the lesson was too hard.  She read about half of it, and did a great job, but she says the words are too scrunched.  Oh well!  We played a few games instead. 

Does anyone have suggestions for other books that coordinate with AAR?  Or worksheets?  

My mom wants to make her a set of center-type activities if I just tell her which ones from TPT. We don't mind to purchase a set if its good. This would be activities for her to do while I'm with big kids- not just worksheets.  

Skills I'm looking for would be adding endings to words, sight words for later 1st or 2nd grade, very basic grammar, Bossy R, and other later vowel teams, irregular plurals.

If you have any good ideas, drop a link!  

@BusyMom5dd6 is about the same place in AAR2.  She has read through most of the emerging reader set from Heart of Dakota.  Also Amelia Bedelia, Mindy Molly Mandy, abeka readers, cam jensen, cork and fuzz, golly sisters.  “I can Read” level 2-3 

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Keeping-My-Kinders-Busy

I like her stuff for a change of pace. I found it's better for me to buy the small pack of things I need rather than buying the bundles. When I buy the bundles I only end up using a few pieces. 

In terms of words being too small I got my kid a magnifying glass to use when he made the complaint. It and buddy reading brought him over the hump of "small" words.

• Like 1

@BusyMom5

I like the American Language Series readers. You can get them at rainbow resource. They follow a similar phonogram progression as AAR and the stories are short. I've used various ones of the books often. You could pick out one at her level. Also AAR has extra book suggestions somewhere on their website.

All about learning press has lots of printable games on their website too. 

For other independent type stuff, I like Montessori. I have printable pink blue and green phonics sets I got from a British teacher off TPT. I have also bought some "real" Montessori stuff. I love the sandpaper letters and numbers, the movable alphabet and rug, the multiplication board with all the x tables on it to fill in. They have grammar stuff too....

• Like 1

My 6 year old first grader has two big siblings and one little, so he gets a lot of what I'm hoping is salutary neglect.  He does Beast Academy, almost done with level one, and it's really a bit too easy, but it'll get harder. He is a little over half way through AAR4 but really doesn't need it and reads everything easily. If we don't finish it, he'll suddenly feel a desperate need to do so in a few months, so I'm trying to do a last push through. He's in AAS1, but most days he's able to hide out and run out the clock on that one. Next year it'll be a more regular part of his day. He tends to duck out of group history lessons, but they are aimed above him. Next year oldest is splitting of and we're cycling back to Ancient History. Then I'll be aiming it much more at him. He does science (Mystery Science) and First Language Lessons with 4 year old brother, which makes it more fun for him and lets him take the role of teacher/mentor, which is good for him.

I've been looking a little at the new AAS. I don't think I'll spring for it as we already own 1-7, plus I like the more streamlined, mature feel of AAS. I think if I had a struggling reader, though, it would be great to use a more colorful AAS to reinforce AAR in a more relaxed way. We've used it largely to build up handwriting stamina, as well as to reinforce spelling, punctuation, etc.

8 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Today was a mixed bag.  We have 1 or 2 days of math left, depending on how much she does each day.  She did it quickly and happily. She finished the HWT lowercase book!  Yay!  I will probably print out a few things to try.  I know she still needs tracing.  

Reading lesson is where we fell short.  I tried, but she took one look at the Broken Robot story and decided it was too many words.  I talked about addresses and letters, but she was set that the lesson was too hard.  She read about half of it, and did a great job, but she says the words are too scrunched.  Oh well!  We played a few games instead. 

Does anyone have suggestions for other books that coordinate with AAR?  Or worksheets?  

My mom wants to make her a set of center-type activities if I just tell her which ones from TPT. We don't mind to purchase a set if its good. This would be activities for her to do while I'm with big kids- not just worksheets.  

Skills I'm looking for would be adding endings to words, sight words for later 1st or 2nd grade, very basic grammar, Bossy R, and other later vowel teams, irregular plurals.

If you have any good ideas, drop a link!  

I think Broken Robot is about the point where I started trading off reading every other page with Dd since the stories got longer and she wasn't really interested in them 

DD loved Princess in Black during level 2, or maybe just after? They are cheesy but cute.

• Like 1

My 4-yr-old:

-- She was set to finish Phonics Pathways by the end of the month, but she keeps getting tripped up on ph as /f/ so we're backtracking in OPG. If we continue with OPG, she'll finish that by the end of May. Then I plan for her to finish the last fourth of AAR. She is also currently in Explode the Code! book 6 (used for spiraling review) and Merrill Reader "Lift Off." After that, we're starting MCT Poodle and then Island.

-- For math, I first tried Mathematical Reasoning K (not explicit enough for her) and then Singapore Essentials A (the "Sets" chapter annoyed her). So, instead, she's going to do CLE Kindergarten 2 and Saxon K, before I move her into Saxon 1.

-- Pre-writing is currently a Kumon "how to draw" book. In January, once she's 5.5, I'm going to start New American Cursive with her.

My 6-yr-old:

-- Phonics is Rod & Staff, 2 days per lesson. He should be finished with all 6 units by Christmas, especially now that we just stopped with the spelling lessons (which would add an extra day to each lesson). For spiraling review, we also do Explode the Code! (he's finishing up Book 4.5) and Merrill Reader ("Get Set").

-- After MUCH trial-and-error -- and trying literally every single first grade math program out there (no easy feat living as an expat!) -- we're now using Saxon 1 and loving it. Our upcoming lessons cover the exact same concepts as so-called conceptual math programs (ha ha, ask me how I know), but in tangible, explicit, bite-sized pieces. He went from actively avoiding math to now requesting it as his first class of the day. I can't speak highly enough of Saxon.

-- Pre-writing is currently CLE preschool workbooks. Once he finishes CLE Kindergarten 1, I'm putting him into Getty-Dubay Italic (kindergarten). 

For both:

-- We visit the botanical gardens weekly. We're also making our way through the Burgess Book of Animals.

-- Planning to do Nancy Larson Science (k).

-- Every night I do 30-45 minutes of read-alouds. We had finished the complete "Winnie the Pooh" and "Charlotte's Web." We're currently reading "Trumpet of the Swan" and we'll do "Stewart Little" after.

• Like 1

DD6 For now I swapped out AAR with phonics pathways.  She’s in AAR2 but it is much too slow.  A page a day of phonics pathways should work better for her.  She can get it out and read it to me while tending siblings instead of waiting for me.  I’ll let her read the readers and perhaps revisit AAR with level 4 when she’s older and has a larger vocabulary 😆.  I already own phonics pathways & reading pathways.

She’s reading Christian liberty press nature reader 1 (one of the older versions) and Milly-Molly-Mandy (cute very old stories that were republished, never heard of them before seeing it in MFW manual).  An abeka reader (older version- 2.1).

for handwriting- decided to let her finish up Channie’s handwriting I bought and used with DS9 last year.  It’s the first grade sight word one.  Perfect fit.

math mammoth 2pg + xtra math app- still going great.

First Language Lessons- old combined version- she’s doing great memorizing the poems.  We don’t do every lesson. 

heart of Dakota little hearts- mainly just science and history and the stories (burgess).  She’s reading the science text which is brief, infrequent and goes along with the Bible story.  Sometimes the activities.  We had a hard time getting water to condensate on the outside of a glass this week😂 

We read Andy and the Circus once for five in a row.  Read manual and don’t see anything that she’d appreciate at this point.  Might read once more and see if there’s anything to talk about.  She’s a little young for industrial age.  

We’ve been outside a lot, first nice week in awhile.  Lessons have been very brief.

DS3… pretty sure we didn’t do much this week except outside, walking to library and parks.

Edited by Lovinglife123

7 hours ago, Eisakka said:

trying literally every single first grade math program out there (no easy feat living as an expat!) -- we're now using Saxon 1 and loving it. Our upcoming lessons cover the exact same concepts as so-called conceptual math programs (ha ha, ask me how I know)

Can you list them all?

15 hours ago, Eisakka said:

My 4-yr-old:

-- She was set to finish Phonics Pathways by the end of the month, but she keeps getting tripped up on ph as /f/ so we're backtracking in OPG. If we continue with OPG, she'll finish that by the end of May. Then I plan for her to finish the last fourth of AAR. She is also currently in Explode the Code! book 6 (used for spiraling review) and Merrill Reader "Lift Off." After that, we're starting MCT Poodle and then Island.

-- For math, I first tried Mathematical Reasoning K (not explicit enough for her) and then Singapore Essentials A (the "Sets" chapter annoyed her). So, instead, she's going to do CLE Kindergarten 2 and Saxon K, before I move her into Saxon 1.

-- Pre-writing is currently a Kumon "how to draw" book. In January, once she's 5.5, I'm going to start New American Cursive with her.

My 6-yr-old:

-- Phonics is Rod & Staff, 2 days per lesson. He should be finished with all 6 units by Christmas, especially now that we just stopped with the spelling lessons (which would add an extra day to each lesson). For spiraling review, we also do Explode the Code! (he's finishing up Book 4.5) and Merrill Reader ("Get Set").

-- After MUCH trial-and-error -- and trying literally every single first grade math program out there (no easy feat living as an expat!) -- we're now using Saxon 1 and loving it. Our upcoming lessons cover the exact same concepts as so-called conceptual math programs (ha ha, ask me how I know), but in tangible, explicit, bite-sized pieces. He went from actively avoiding math to now requesting it as his first class of the day. I can't speak highly enough of Saxon.

-- Pre-writing is currently CLE preschool workbooks. Once he finishes CLE Kindergarten 1, I'm putting him into Getty-Dubay Italic (kindergarten). 

For both:

-- We visit the botanical gardens weekly. We're also making our way through the Burgess Book of Animals.

-- Planning to do Nancy Larson Science (k).

-- Every night I do 30-45 minutes of read-alouds. We had finished the complete "Winnie the Pooh" and "Charlotte's Web." We're currently reading "Trumpet of the Swan" and we'll do "Stewart Little" after.

I love Saxon math and have used every level up to Advanced Math with my older  kids. My big kids are in 7/6 and Algebra 2 right now, and my older 2 are through college math and think Saxon prepared them well enough.   Ive got Saxon 1 here, just waiting to start next school year.  I love the hands on activities and the daily review.  It really cements the basics IMO. 

I'm considering NL Science.  I bought it once and loaned it out, never to see it again :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

I've been looking at history and science curriculums for next year. I think I'd do Beautiful Feet Books Around The World and Science in the Beginning or Apologia. But then I wonder if I should wait another year or two? We get Let's Read and Find Out science from the library, no history though.

I have all of those.  DD6 likes the nature one (which you didn’t mention) from beautiful feet and around the world.  I just have too much!!!  Science in the beginning- the text was too dry so I haven’t used it.

Edited by Lovinglife123

5 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I have all of those.  DD6 likes the nature one (which you didn’t mention) from beautiful feet and around the world.  I just have too much!!!  Science in the beginning- the text was too dry so I haven’t used it.

That's interesting about Science in the Beginning. I was also looking at Apologia. I wish I could rent them from the library or something first. Maybe the nature BFB would be a good start to science.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:33 AM, EKS said:

Someone should tell me how to unquote an accidental quote;)

7 hours ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

That's interesting about Science in the Beginning. I was also looking at Apologia. I wish I could rent them from the library or something first. Maybe the nature BFB would be a good start to science.

I really like science in the beginning. I am thinking of using it with 2 kids in 3rd and 6th grade in a year....I wouldn't really use it with a 1st grader unless she just tagged along.

I am planning to use outdoor secrets from Simply Charlotte again next year for my little ones in 2nd and prek. I think 2nd is a bit old for it (k or 1st is best IMHO) but he loves insects, his nature journal, amphibians, reptiles ect and is learning about plants and animals all the time with no curriculum....

Edited by countrymum
  • Like 1

I still have Science in the Beginning.  Just waiting for the right age group for it (maybe when my 1st/4th graders are 3rd/6th, my oldest could do general science in 8th).  It’s text heavy, but the experiments are great.  I like the nature study from BF more now than I did before.  I am not trying to get either of them done in one year so that has helped.  I never read Apologia out loud to them (well I’ve tried but usually quit before the first lesson is over).  I’ve used it as an independent read for about 3rd and up.  I’m guessing 1st would still be too young- it’s heavy on text and lots of vocabulary thrown in.  Five in a row has been a pretty good fit for k-3.  If I used it solo I would use the science and history a lot more.  The first two volumes were my favorite.  Now I need to explore outdoor secrets 😉

EtA- okay outdoor secrets looks perfect.  I much prefer the simple layout.  Maybe switch to that one and use BF books as a supplement.

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Thanks 1

How is everyone's week going?  We didn't do much school this week, but DD did read The Bake Sale, so we are baking 🧁  I sort of paused AAR2, and we did a lot from LoE this week.  I think she's enjoying it more right now- on lesson 65!  In math she did a few Saxon 1 pages- she wants to start ;)  Handwriting- ugh!  

For those looking to plan science,  my favorite series is Usborne Beginner Science with internet links.  I have lots of them, and my kids all enjoyed me reading to them or reading for themselves.  I recently got the Young Beginners and the vocabulary is a little easier.  There are many sentences my little one can read on her own.  I usually just do unit studies at this age.  

I really need to get planning school for next fall for my big kids!  Hoping they finish all but math by the end of next week bc May is already packed full of stuff.  

The week started off not great. Monday basically all school got thrown out because we really need a lesson in how to calmly ask for a break and/or tell mommy today math feels hard. (For reference we were barely 1 problem in and the next day DS blew through 6 of the same problems.) Tuesday was DD4's turn to lose it. For reference she doesn't actually have stuff she even needs to complete, I just ask that she isn't physically assaulting the family members who are doing school (she didn't like the story we were reading, but also refused to leave the area). She did proceed to ask for copywork and then wrote NO NO NO all over the page which is pretty impressive because she is just learning to read.   

By today though after I felt we did enough school, both children asked for more school. We actually finished all the items I planned this week too, so it was sort of a "well what do you want to do..." I do not understand how people schedule and plan for a whole year, perhaps if my kids were different. 

I do need to think about what I want next year to look like for DD4 because, she'll be officially enrolled in our homeschool charter thing. If I know what I want I can probably get her stuff 2 weeks from now at the next school meeting.

Well we had our first boy this week so I'll count questions during diaper changes as science lessons on male anatomy 😂

Dd likes this so it will be her math during recovery. Color by Number Addition and Subtraction Mermaids and Unicorns: Math Coloring Book https://a.co/d/a8t2ddq

She's almost read all of the Rainbow Magic Fairies series for fun so I need to find something that will keep her reading.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Clarita said:

She did proceed to ask for copywork and then wrote NO NO NO all over the page which is pretty impressive because she is just learning to read. 

😂😂😂. I'm sorry-definitely one of those things that is super frustrating in the moment but hilarious 10 min later. Glad your week improved.

We have 3 more official weeks of school. Ds6 is a ways into his 2nd grade math book, so we're only doing math when we feel like it. Reading is going well. We usually do an I-read-a-line-he-reads-a-line thing, but a couple times this week he wanted to read the whole thing. This week in his copywork he wrote on some smaller lined paper and his handwriting was pretty impressive (better than ds11...)-still need to work on differentiating between capitals and lower case. My geography goal this year was for him to be able to identify continents-he can't seem to remember them yet. I'm only reviewing with him a couple times a week, so probably just need to increase that to every day. I'm so much more relaxed with kid #3 -hopefully I can keep that attitude with his future schooling. Next year he'll be adding a couple more subjects, so we'll see how eager he continues to be.

• Like 1

My youngest is 7:
Typing is the newest thing for him. He loves it, especially the backspace button (100% accuracy at 5wpm!)

He's doing MCT which is great, along with a little in the McGuffey readers and primary language lessons. I just loved those books with my oldest so I couldn't not use them at all 🙂

For math we are all over the place. Singapore, zaccaro and a little beast academy. I’m trying to figure out the deeper thing as he’s creative with math and ahead. He got the chess bug from big sis so that’s been fun.

He loves art, so i need to figure that one out better. All the classes my oldest took disappeared. 

History and Science for next year are going to be entirely interest led. Right now we use SOTW and will continue those, but with just the text/audio. He did classes with an amazing outschool space teacher (I learned a ton!) and now we are kinda using blossom and root which is okay, though it would've been better last year... he likes the drawing part.

I seem to get more unschooly with each YDD is 4 and will miss the cutoff for kindergarten so I guess she is really Pre-K. 

We have Happy Phonics and she plays the games. She just about has her letter sounds down so I need go get the next few games ready to start blending and cvc words.

We have preschool math at home and Family Math and play a few games a week.

We aren't doing any writing. Her fine motor skills are a little behind so we are doing lots of crafts and activites to strengthen her hands. Their is a 6 month wait to be evaluated for OT. So we will probably get called about the time I decide she is fine.

• Like 1

I'll hop in! I have two in this age range: one 4 year old technically preK and one 2nd grade.

PreK - this child doesn't want to do anything I ask her to, and I've mostly been gently trying and letting it go if she doesn't want to. 

This week, we continued working on a Moffat Girls TpT unit that goes through the alphabet in 7 weeks.

I rotate through some of the activities included as well as crafts and q tip letter painting sheets, and play dough or float letter cards, etc.

She already knows her letters and their sounds pretty well, so this is just review. I tried cvc words a month or so ago and she wasn't interested in blending yet. We will try again in the fall.

For math, we are just working on subitizing 1-10. I'm using HWT number cards with c rods, ten frames, dominos, dice, etc.

At least once a week, we play board games, like Lakeshore Learning Pop and Learn or Tiny Polka Dot.

2nd grade:

We are close to finishing AAR 3. I'm unsure if I'll do 4 - he reads everything now.

We are still juggling singapore math standard edition and beast academy level 2. I'll likely move on to singapre math 3A in the fall while still finishing some of beast 2nd grade, then start adding in 3rd. I also use Wisom Wonder Project videos to help teach the singapore lessons even though I could teach them myself - just a time saving measure with 3 others to keep on top of in the house.

We finished Evan moor daily science workbook a few weeks ago. I had been pairing it with mystery science and let's read and find out for deeper topic exploration. Now we are working through a-maze-ing mirrors from homeschool science tools, and that should finish out the year.

We are all still listening to Story Of Civilization Ancients in the car and pulling additional materials as the mood strikes. This week we made an etruscan arch using a kit from taksa toys.