Menu

Just installed quartz countertops and it’s chipping!

Indigo Blue

Literally chipping! I don’t know how it’s happening. The guy is coming out to look at it. I’m sad because I’m so happy with the way it looks. They may have to reinstall. He’s being very agreeable, thank goodness. I thought quartz would be a good choice. This is so strange. I’m thinking I may choose granite if they reinstall. 

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Literally chipping! I don’t know how it’s happening. The guy is coming out to look at it. I’m sad because I’m so happy with the way it looks. They may have to reinstall. He’s being very agreeable, thank goodness. I thought quartz would be a good choice. This is so strange. I’m thinking I may choose granite if they reinstall. 

They are not a solid surface - quartz counters are made of components, mixed to together, then onto a slab to harden.

OIP.DOyXKSHiXespWmjjtrRaAwHaKR?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

It sounds like there was a manufacturing defect.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Dh says manufacturing defect…..there was probably dirt in the mold.  He says it can be repaired in place good as new but I am with you— I would want it replaced. 

Thanks, Scarlett. I’m afraid to have it repaired because the whole entirety of it just seems chalky and the surface easily rubbed off. The top in my other bath is a different color. It isn’t doing that and seems more solid. I’m afraid of the white counter. Dh will drop shaving accessories and if it chips that easily and feels brittle, that top will become full of nicks and chips  over time. So, I want a new and different top to avoid this. I’m so glad they seem willing to work with us on replacing it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Definitely replaced. My quartz counters in the kitchen are over four years old with nary a chip. They are Silestone, which we bought from Lowe's.

I had a silestone sink. . . . Heat will crack it. yeah - I couldn't drain my pasta into the sink . . .   (the manufacturer replaced the sink - I chose stainless).

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I had a silestone sink. . . . Heat will crack it. yeah - I couldn't drain my pasta into the sink . . .   (the manufacturer replaced the sink - I chose stainless).

It did not occur to me to get a Silestone sink; I didn't even know it was a possibility. 🙂

Edited by Ellie

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Why would anyone sell a sink made out of something that heat sensitive????? Nuts. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I purchased my Silestone quartz countertop in 2007. From the very start it began chipping on the edges mainly especially near the dishwasher. Why? Because sometimes when one is loading the dishwasher, a plate or pan may bang the edge of the counter and quartz chips so easily. And since mine is white and in a finish they called leather (matte), it is VERY noticeable. I have begun to actually hate this countertop because it looks so ugly and repairing it is SO expensive and they won't guarantee the color will match. I'm better off buying a new countertop.