Menu

Pinterest wants my birth date

Teaching3bears

In fact, she won’t let me in without it.  I don’t want her to have it.  I don’t want her to lump me in with 50-somethings only.  I don’t want only fashion for 50-somethings and decor 50-somethings.  I already feel like I am seeing the same pictures over and over.  What says the hive?  I could lie and say I was born in 2023.  

• Like 1

I always use a fake birthdate, as well as a fake name, in all social media, including the gmail accounts I use for registration on most sites. I generally use the same relative's birthday instead of mine, so it's easier to remember if I have to verify my (fake) identity.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

In fact, she won’t let me in without it.  I don’t want her to have it.  I don’t want her to lump me in with 50-somethings only.  I don’t want only fashion for 50-somethings and decor 50-somethings.  I already feel like I am seeing the same pictures over and over.  What says the hive?  I could lie and say I was born in 2023.  

I have an alternative profile for all sites that are nosey and want information that isn't necessary for them to have. I have no guilt about using some other info. You shouldn't either.

• Like 3

I vote fake date. I would say though make sure pinterest isn't that important to you. My friend provided FB with fake stuff and got her account revoked. She never did anything remotely bad just had one of those blatantly fake names because she didn't want them to have her real stuff. 

• Sad 1

I used a fake birth date. I think I put 1923 as year of birth. I have never been lumped with stuff for old people. But rather are sent things based on other things I have looked at

Come to think of it I mainly use it to look at 40s clothing fashion for inspiration for sewing....... . Hmm. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I used a fake birth date. I think I put 1923 as year of birth. I have never been lumped with stuff for old people. But rather are sent things based on other things I have looked at

Come to think of it I mainly use it to look at 40s clothing fashion for inspiration for sewing....... . Hmm. 

They think they have your profile all figured out…how wrong they are! 😄

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

I used a fake birthday, too, but Pinterest shows you more of what you look at. They will try to guess where you might be nudged sometimes, based on your history, but mostly they just show you more and more of what you look at. 

I find the bolded to be true, which annoys me.  I have a variety of people/boards on pinterest I follow because I like the variety!  If I do happen to search for something then all I get are related pins.   I miss the old format when it was just the people you followed.  I understand the occasional add too, they gotta pay the bills.  But I really do miss the old format.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I wonder if they realize how many of us use fake dates. Whatever they are trying to conclude by collecting the dates is skewed beyond all usefulness. 

Some of it is just covering themselves legally--there are laws against collection of information on kids, so they need evidence that they are trying to keep kids (under 14 usually I think?) off.

• Like 1