Menu

Kindergartner struggling with MWC K

AmieV821

I am doing math with confidence K with my 5 year old.  She will be 6 in May. We are stopped at Unit 4 checkpoint.  She cannot recognize numbers 0-10 on a ten frame without counting them.  She cannot recognize numerals 0-10, tally marks etc.  we have done exactly every activity that the book has spelled out.  We’ve paused in the book and done the practice activities the book has suggested daily for a couple weeks now. It’s still not clicking at all.  Any suggestions on what to do next? I’m wondering if I just pause totally on math and give it time? She’s getting irritated by repeating the same activities under the “needs more practice” section over and over.  Unit 5 moves into addition and I really don’t think she’s ready. 

How did she do with counting coins? Nickels and pennies. 

Randomly in the day I might flash my fingers up and have her tell me what number she sees. Let her count if she wants. Also let her flash you fingers and you can tell her what number you see. You may use the term 5 and 2 more is 7. Or start from 5 and count up from there like 5, 6, 7.

I think you may want to look into Ronit Bird and dyscalculia.  Not being able to recognize number symbols is a little concerning at this age, and it sounds like she may need extra help right here in the beginning to help you discern future needs. 
Ronit Bird, Touch Math, even Math U See, which uses colors, may be in your best interest to seek out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

I think you may want to look into Ronit Bird and dyscalculia.  Not being able to recognize number symbols is a little concerning at this age, and it sounds like she may need extra help right here in the beginning to help you discern future needs. 
Ronit Bird, Touch Math, even Math U See, which uses colors, may be in your best interest to seek out

Stop doing the "needs more practice" activities. Yes I absolutely agree with HomeAgain and even if she doesn't really have dyscalculia some of these activities and different approaches to things may help her over this hurdle. 

You can also proceed slowly into the adding unit (if it takes time to seek out other resources) but be prepared to stop if it's too frustrating. Sometimes seeing the adding helps with seeing how you are suppose to just know the numbers from the 10-frame.  

My son struggled with all that in K as well. I stopped using MWC K and used RightStart A from the beginning. It totally clicked for him. We then did MWC 1 and are almost done. He needed the slower 1st grade. I am planning RightStart B into C for fall....he seems to get it all now. I have all of RightStart from my older kids.

• 2 weeks later...

The not recognizing numerals would bother me, but I think the other 2 are perfectly fine for Kindergarten.   I have a Kindergartener and we have not focused on tally marks or tens frames, even though I've been using them when illustrating concepts.  My suggestions:

1.  Make up some matching games with numerals and the tens frames.  I've scene printable ones on TPT.  

2.  Get some posters or other visuals to keep up in the room and review them often.  I think there were some Pete the Cat ones that had the numbers and the matching 10s frame.  

3.  Print and laminate the pages from. MWC that has the numbers on it.  Trace it daily with a dry erase marker.   

4.  Start with numbers to 5, then add one at a time until she has all 10.  

5.  Play number games, count stuff around the house, cook, count stuff in books you read, etc.  Make it part of your day.  

My personal checklist for Kindergarten:

Writing numerals 0-9 correctly (we are still working on 2, 3, 7, and 9- she writes them backwards and this is normal)

Recognizing numbers to 20

Recognizing teens are 10 plus ___

Adding numbers to 10 (4+2)

Counting to 100

Counting by 10s to 100

Counting on from a number (7-  8, 9, 10)

Counting on from a 10 (20- 21, 22, 23)

Days if the Week

Months of the year

Daily calendar 

Concept of adding

Concept of subtracting 

I have MWC K, and I wasn't a fan.  I preferred the new Primary Mathematics books, you might check those out.  You might also look at Saxon as it goes slower with a lot of manipulatives and spiral review.  We are almost finished with the PM and I pulled out the MWC workbook again and shez doing it, but not a big fan.   I really try to keep math fun at this age, playful with manipulatives.   

• Like 2

She recognizes numbers… just not subsitizing?  I wouldn’t worry too much if that’s the case.  If you show her the number 1 she can’t say the number?

Edited by Lovinglife123

• 2 weeks later...

You could get some board and card games to switch it up. My daughter learned to read numerals by playing skipbp (modified to only go to 7 at first and gradually increased) and Uno. She also likes the very hungry catepillar board game and I've been thinking of getting tiny polka dot. My daughter couldn't subitize as well as MWC K said she should be able to at checkpoints but after addition, she was able to eventually see the 5 on the left and 3 on the right to know it was 8.