Menu

Keeping a new glass stovetop clean

scbusf

I am not a best cleaner but I've never had trouble with the two glass top stoves I've had over the years. Maybe it was the brand you had or something? Anyway, I just squirt on a cleaner made for glass top stoves, give it a smear, let it sit for about five minutes, and then wipe/scrub it off with a rag. I do it about once a week and just wipe with a damp rag otherwise. For stubborn things, I take a plain razor blade and gently scrape at an angle. That works really well.

I mistreat my stove badly, using cast iron and even sliding it around. It has never scratched and still looks great when I do clean it.

Editing to add, I use the cleaner that Pawz4me linked to. I just get it at the grocery. I've tried baking soda but the cleaner works a bit better.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 1

Bon Ami or Soft Scrub along with dish soap (sometimes combined is better, sometimes one at a time). Having a good nylon scrubby is essential--I usually like the homemade ones I find at festivals and such the best, but nylon produce bags work well too. Norwex has a square microfiber/scrubby that would probably be great--we bought it for shower walls, and by then, we didn't have our glass topped stove anymore.

I use Weiman, as well, using both the the daily cleaner and the heavy duty cleaner depending on the dirtiness of the top. The key is to stay on top of it and never use the stove if there is any dirt already on it. My DH will leave grime behind after he uses the stove which means I have to clean it before I use it. Also the razor blade tip from above is a life saver for any really stubborn spots.

• Like 4

Razor and (just about any) glass top stove cleaner.

I do tend to let gentle AP cleaner sit for a while before attempting to scrape, and I do find the stove cleaner needs a lot of elbow grease. My current 7 month old stove doesn’t look out-of-the-box perfect, but very good. The 1-2yo stove at the old house looks good, just not AS good.  We are rough on them.

20 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I use Weiman, as well, using both the the daily cleaner and the heavy duty cleaner depending on the dirtiness of the top. The key is to stay on top of it and never use the stove if there is any dirt already on it. My DH will leave grime behind after he uses the stove which means I have to clean it before I use it. Also the razor blade tip from above is a life saver for any really stubborn spots.

I use our stove when there is stuff already on it as long as it's small and not a big, baked on spill. I will give it a quick wipe if there are crumbs or something, but if there are drops already baked on here and there and I want to cook right then, oh well. The razor always gets it easily when I get to cleaning. I use the razor almost every time I clean since I don't like scrubbing hard, lol.

I've read that baked on sugary stuff can cause pitting etc, and I do try and be a bit better at getting that up before using again, but not always, and so far so good. 

I loved my 20 yo glass top stove, (and the 28 yo one in my old house). They were super easy to clean. My 2yo new one, is horrible. It has a very slight texture to it and it makes everything stick and stay stuck. It has had spots I can’t get clean from the first week I got it. It is so hard to clean , I gave thought about selling it. I have tried every trick out there and  nothing works. I miss my old ones so much. 

I am not an especially fastidious cleaner and the rest of the users of my kitchen are (ahem) substantially less fastidious even than I, and we're on year ~15 of ours without particular problem.  I clean up overboiled pots or other actual yuck promptly; use regular Windex to stay on top of it; and if some actual mishap occurs I do the Welmans treatment pp have noted.

I HATE cleaning coiled electric rings and while I theoretically appreciate the theoretical reasons why gas is better for more serious cooks than I am... I would never consider any other type of stovetop for my own not terribly ambitious cooking needs.

#SlackersUnited

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tap said:

I loved my 20 yo glass top stove, (and the 28 yo one in my old house). They were super easy to clean. My 2yo new one, is horrible. It has a very slight texture to it and it makes everything stick and stay stuck. It has had spots I can’t get clean from the first week I got it. It is so hard to clean , I gave thought about selling it. I have tried every trick out there and  nothing works. I miss my old ones so much. 

I had one like this in a previous house. It was hard to clean! I used a small scrub brush - let the cleaner soak it, then scrub and wipe. I had to decide I preferred clean over a matter surface. 

For my current one, I use a plastic scraper and dish-soapy water as others described, and barkeeps friend for tough stuff. 

One tip - sugar is the worst. I always try to wipe up any spills containing sugar right away or I’ll be battling it later. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I had one like this in a previous house. It was hard to clean! I used a small scrub brush - let the cleaner soak it, then scrub and wipe. I had to decide I preferred clean over a matter surface. 

For my current one, I use a plastic scraper and dish-soapy water as others described, and barkeeps friend for tough stuff. 

One tip - sugar is the worst. I always try to wipe up any spills containing sugar right away or I’ll be battling it later. 

I have tried keeping a damp paste of Bar Keepers Friend on it for an hour! Scrapers, scrubbies, and  brushes. Vinegar soaks with snd without Dawn. Baking soda with and without dawn. Various glass top cleaners. Commercial glass cleaner. Orange oil. Various degreaser style cleaners . CLR. Oven cleaner. It is definitely burnt on-top of the glass ( not etched in) but also not budging.

Just a regular cleaning takes serious muscle on this top. It is horrible. My other ones were super easy to keep clean. I really think it is the texture.

Edited by Tap
  • Sad 1

I think the razor is more helpful than anything else. I use the razor and a wet rag, that is usually all that is needed. If things are washed quickly it usually doesn't take much. My stove is 15 yrs old and still looks good on top, not perfect but pretty darn good. The door hasn't faired as well but it is between the glass and the door and I'm unable to clean it all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tap said:

I have tried keeping a damp paste of Bar Keepers Friend on it for an hour! Scrapers, scrubbies, and  brushes. Vinegar soaks with snd without Dawn. Baking soda with and without dawn. Various glass top cleaners. Commercial glass cleaner. Various degreaser style cleaners . CLR. Oven cleaner. It is definitely burnt on-top of the glass ( not etched in) but also not budging.

Just a regular cleaning takes serious muscle on this top. It is horrible. My other ones were super easy to keep clean. I really think it is the texture.

Bummer! What a time suck!

58 minutes ago, Tap said:

I think this was my issue. Our old one had a slight texture. Plus, I’m not the greatest cleaner - so miss a couple of days and that’s it. 

2 hours ago, scbusf said:

No matter what I tried, I couldn't keep my last glass stovetop clean. I said I wouldn't get another one, but here we are with a brand new one. What's the secret for keeping it clean?????

I agree!!! I could never keep mine clean either. Impossible. I think the people who have spotless ones rarely use it. I use mine every single day. Finally switched back to gas. 

34 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I agree!!! I could never keep mine clean either. Impossible. I think the people who have spotless ones rarely use it. I use mine every single day. Finally switched back to gas. 

We use ours daily, except sometimes not on weekends. We also tend to use it as a work surface when making sandwiches and things like that. It's super easy to clean. Although perhaps we've been very lucky in the two we've had? They are/were perfectly smooth, no texture at all. I can imagine that a textured surface would be very difficult to clean.

I just use a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution to clean mine.  The other cooks in my house never clean the stove, so there’s always something on it.  I just spray and wipe with a paper towel.  If it’s dried on really bad I let the spot soak a few minutes.  

I would go broke if I only used the official stove cleaners.

So, what do you folks with spotless stoves do when the pasta water or potato water or whatever boils over? I try to wipe it when I see it happen, but it’s HOT and there’s a full pot of boiling stuff. Do you immediately move it to a different burner? Sometimes there are three burners going so limited space to move it to. By the time the burner cools down enough to wipe it, stuff is burned on. (Btw, mine was not textured. It was perfectly smooth glass.)

22 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

So, what do you folks with spotless stoves do when the pasta water or potato water or whatever boils over? I try to wipe it when I see it happen, but it’s HOT and there’s a full pot of boiling stuff. Do you immediately move it to a different burner? Sometimes there are three burners going so limited space to move it to. By the time the burner cools down enough to wipe it, stuff is burned on. (Btw, mine was not textured. It was perfectly smooth glass.)

With our old stove I’d wait until the burner cooled and then use the Weiman kit. I never had a problem cleaning boil over residue. It took a couple of minutes but it wasn’t hard at all. Our new stove is induction, so I can pick up the pot, clean the burner quickly, replace the pot and continue cooking. With a quick swipe like that I still have to spend another minute or two when I’m doing the final cleanup. But I almost always do that anyway. 

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

a) not spotless

b) boiled-over pot protocol = briefly remove pot and turn burner off, sort of smoosh around a thick sponge to get most of the volume off, splash a bit of cold water to cool it down fast (it evaporates on contact), sort of smoosh around a thick fistful of paper towel doused with Windex, turn the burner back on and return pot.  The entire protocol takes < 60 seconds. It doesn't get absolutely everything off but it precludes anything from burning on and thereby necessitating the Welmans.  I doubt I call on the Welmans more than 2-3x/ year (and when I do it's because Some Other Family Member has failed to follow protocol).

c) again: no one who has ever lived in this household has ever, not even once, been accused of being "fastidious"

Ah, yes, texture would ruin everything. Who comes up with a cooktop like that? Boo on them. I have a perfectly smooth white fridge now and it is so easy to keep clean. I'm going to be so sad when it dies because most out there have that slight texture you have to scrub. I'm not a fan of stainless steel either so I'm just hoping this one goes forever.

For boil overs in progress I'll try and swipe the worst with a wet rag, but some is always left. No problem, the razor gets it once everything is done cooking and it's cooled off. I don't switch burners.

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Scrape it off with razor blade when cool. 

3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Same here. I have a three  year old GE smooth glass top and it's such a pain to clean. The fact that we're having to use various cleaners, kits and razor blades to clean up something as normal as pasta water is such a disappointment. My old coil stovetop was so easy to clean compared to this. 

I have a black glass stove top and it's very easy to clean. I just use water and liquid dish soap. My mom had a white glass top and it stained all the time and was a pain to try and keep clean. 

There definitely seems to be a difference between types of glass stove tops. 

2 hours ago, Pippen said:

Same here. I have a three  year old GE smooth glass top and it's such a pain to clean. The fact that we're having to use various cleaners, kits and razor blades to clean up something as normal as pasta water is such a disappointment. My old coil stovetop was so easy to clean compared to this. 

My new one is GE also.  I think they seriously messed up the top on the newer ones. My boyfriend's GE is like my old ones. Just regular shiny glass that is so easy to clean. I spray a bit of Dawn on it, use a regular scrubby washcloth and it all washes away. If something is burnt on, a glass scraper and a swirl with some glass top cleaner. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

I have a black glass stove top and it's very easy to clean. I just use water and liquid dish soap. My mom had a white glass top and it stained all the time and was a pain to try and keep clean. 

There definitely seems to be a difference between types of glass stove tops. 

Now that's interesting. Both of mine have been black.

8 hours ago, Tap said:

My new one is GE also.  I think they seriously messed up the top on the newer ones. My boyfriend's GE is like my old ones. Just regular shiny glass that is so easy to clean. I spray a bit of Dawn on it, use a regular scrubby washcloth and it all washes away. If something is burnt on, a glass scraper and a swirl with some glass top cleaner. 

My MIL has an older one and it's similarly easy to clean. I was shocked when a bit of pasta water sprayed out and none of the products worked (including the cleaning product packaged with the range.). The industry has done such a disservice to customers promoting these hard to clean , easy to scratch stovetops as the norm. 

11 hours ago, Pippen said:

I am not sure what you mean by kits, but a razor blade scraper with a little water is all it ever took for me to zip off burned on food.  Then a regular clean up/wipe up with a soap cloth.  I could clean it completely in like 60 seconds.  
Edited to add— I just realized you are saying you have the new textured kind….I have no experience with that.  Sounds like a big ugh. 

Edited by Scarlett

This post is very timely for me! I just got a new glass top stove and have been working hard to keep it clean. Last week, I was out of town for work and dh and dd were cooking. Pan was on the stove and the burner was too hot, so when dh added oil, it caught on fire! They took care of it, but it messed up the glass top. When I came home, I noticed and it looked to me like pasta water had boiled over. Dh told me tried a razor blade and the Weiman cleaner, but neither worked. I tried the weiman cleaner myself and then when that didn’t work, I created a paste write baking soda and vinegar. I let it sit and then I really scrubbed. I actually got a lot of it off, but it was so much work and the stove isn’t completely clean. Any other suggestions??

Edited by Just Kate

1 minute ago, Just Kate said:

This post is very timely for me! I just got a new glass top stove and have been working hard to keep it clean. Last week, I was out of town for work and dh and dd were cooking. Pan was on the stove and the burner was too hot and when dh added oil, it caught on fire! They took care of it, but it messed up the glass top. When I came home, I noticed and it looked like pasta water had boiled over. Dh told me tried a razor blade and the Weiman cleaner, but it didn’t work. I tried the weiman cleaner myself and then when that didn’t work, I created a paste write baking soda and vinegar. I let it sit and then I really scrubbed. I actually got a lot of it off, but it was work and the stove isn’t completely clean. Any other suggestions??

Is yours the smooth or textured?

1 hour ago, Just Kate said:

Smooth - but the burnt on whatever (not sure exactly what it is) just doesn’t want to come off. 

It sounds like it is damaged. If you can’t feel anything when you run your hand over it then it likely won’t come off.  It has been almost 4 years since I had a smooth top but I think I am remembering that I had a spot like that as well.