Menu

I need a hug.

itsheresomewhere

I need a hug.  A company today came out and sprayed my yard with weed killer.  They were meant to go to another house on the next street.  My beautiful plants, strawberry plants, cherry tree ( just planted last year), blueberry and blackberry bushes, lettuce, dandelions all gone.  My speciality lilies probably dead or harmed.  My seeds in the garden left fro this year after last years garden- dead.  My roses- probably dead. My herbs- dead.  My garlic- looking like dead.  My vast collection of mint-  dead. I found out hours later when I got home. I hope my specialty tulips and other spring bulbs will survive as they are coming up now but probably not.  They left me the receipt of how much they used so I am not hopeful as it was a lot for a yard my size. I have taken pictures of the damage before anyone asks. And I have been outside washing down plants attempting to save them after getting the hose out of the shed from winter storage.  

I have already been in touch with the company and are working out compensation but that won’t fix all the years of work.  Some plants can’t be replace, some you are on waitlist for years. I know that there is must worse things going on so no need to tell me that.  I just need a hug. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Sad 90

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Thank you everyone.  I am going between devastated and livid.  The loss over these plants hurts.  The funny thing is the house they were meant to go to buys berries and veggies off of me.  So they have come over to say how sorry they were and what can they do to help. It wasn’t their fault. 

That's sweet of them.

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

Oh, that's horrible! Make sure you work out *fair* compensation for the losses. that's truly awful. I'm so, so sorry. Sending big hugs! 

I am horrified on your behalf--we would be in a similar boat if someone sprayed our yard--most of what we have are things that we got inexpensively due to patience and a lot of care and "alternative" sales from garden clubs, etc. It would cost at least 5x that amount to replace it all.

Be sure you work out the price of your labor on top of replacement costs. I would seriously consider including the cost of this year's crop in the amount as well. That's a LOT of expensive fruit and veg gone. If we lost DH's fig trees, that's literally at least 100 figs from just his most productive fig tree. They aren't cheap. 

I would be physically ill if this were my yard. I am so sorry.

• Like 9

Just now, itsheresomewhere said:

So far the total is depressing.   

I'm sure that it is; we also garden, some, and I cannot imagine. We've lost various trees for various reasons (young ones), and that's a hit, but a small one. Mature trees, and such an extensive fruit/veggie/berry garden has to be tremendous. And like you say, even a fair monetary compensation doesn't cover the years of work, especially on the trees and getting them to fruit-bearing stages, etc. 

• Like 2

Rethinking a bit...some nurseries offer consults for installing these things, plus selling the plants, etc. I wonder if you could use one to help estimate the replacement cost--if it was presented on the nursery's letterhead, all the better for getting the company's attention. 

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I’m so sorry. I would run room air purifiers at full power for all the rooms facing your yard just in case. 

The smell is strong.  I have them going.  I guess I am grateful that I ran out of time to hang the laundry outside before I left today.  They got the front and back yard so all rooms have an air purifier going. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Sad 13

I’m so sorry. That’s beyond awful; I would be heartbroken.

Since the company is communicating with you, did they say if there’s any way to potentially mitigate the damage to some plants? Like, for example, cutting foliage off, or rose canes down, before the herbicide is fully absorbed? I’m assuming it’s been several hours, so maybe not, but treatment even tomorrow might be able to save some things. Many years ago I had a commercial pesticide applicator’s license, in connection with my work in a nursery, and I know some herbicides were absorbed slowly, especially if the weather is still cool where you are. I’m far from up to date, but some chance of saving plants would be better than none. For things like the mints, I’d try cutting them to the ground asap. Anything herbaceous, in fact. Anything that would sprout back, I’d whack back hard. There’s nothing to lose at this point, and some might survive.

Again, I’m so sorry. 

• Like 8

Just now, Eos said:

What were they thinking?  This gorgeous well-tended yard needs to go?  Weed-killer??

Well they got the house numbers right but reading the street name was beyond them.  And I guess looking at the yard didn’t give a clue.  Now it is still winter so my backyard looks somewhat dead but really the front yard with all the bulbs coming up and bushes shaped should have given a clue.  Much less reading the street name that was right there. 

• Sad 15

19 minutes ago, KSera said:

Oh, that’s horrible. I am so sorry that happened. You’re right, there’s not really an adequate way they can compensate you 😞  I hope some things make it through that you didn’t expect would. 

Oh no! How awful!

I’d have an expert landscaper/arborist/native landscaper come out and put a value on what was lost. That company needs to pay you A LOT, likely more than they realize. 

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, Eos said:

I'm not someone who thinks lawsuits are always the answer, but what they offer you and what your yard, years of work, and future expectancy are worth may be very different.

I would agree.  Also consider the future profits that you are foregoing since you can no longer sell those fruits and veggies.  I would also consider if there needs to be any remediation done to the soil to make it safe to plant edibles again.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Innisfree said:

I’m so sorry. That’s beyond awful; I would be heartbroken.

Since the company is communicating with you, did they say if there’s any way to potentially mitigate the damage to some plants? Like, for example, cutting foliage off, or rose canes down, before the herbicide is fully absorbed? I’m assuming it’s been several hours, so maybe not, but treatment even tomorrow might be able to save some things. Many years ago I had a commercial pesticide applicator’s license, in connection with my work in a nursery, and I know some herbicides were absorbed slowly, especially if the weather is still cool where you are. I’m far from up to date, but some chance of saving plants would be better than none. For things like the mints, I’d try cutting them to the ground asap. Anything herbaceous, in fact. Anything that would sprout back, I’d whack back hard. There’s nothing to lose at this point, and some might survive.

Again, I’m so sorry. 

It had been on for several hours before I discovered it in the sun. I looked up this one as they left the name and it lasts up to 3-4 months.  I might try cutting some of the roses as it is we are getting ice/snow this weekend so no matter what they probably will die either from trimming or the chemicals.  

So far they have offered monetary damage along with an offer to replace my front yard.  But how much monetary for the plants we will see.  Heads will roll and I am not going down without a fight.  The first person I talked to learned that after she kind of said I should be grateful for free lawn care… That wasn’t a smart move lady. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 15

I would be devastated and beyond angry! I would definitely consult with some local nurseries to get an estimate of the cost of replacing everything at a level equivalent to what you had (like larger trees & bushes, not just saplings in 1 gallon pots), and I would include the cost of labor to replant it all and do any soil mitigation if that's necessary. The value of what they destroyed is worth far more than the cost of a few seeds/seedlings/saplings, and I would bring in a lawyer if necessary in order to ensure I got the maximum compensation for their incredibly negligent actions.

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I would agree.  Also consider the future profits that you are foregoing since you can no longer sell those fruits and veggies.  I would also consider if there needs to be any remediation done to the soil to make it safe to plant edibles again.

That is one I am trying to figure out the exact amount. The profit loss is something that will stink.  I sell my extras at a reasonable cost as we have a lot of seniors who can’t afford much food.  I am know for it and the seniors and families have always appreciated it.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Just now, itsheresomewhere said:

The first person I talked to learned that after she kind of said I should be grateful for free lawn care… That wasn’t a smart move lady. 

😲That's a terrible thing to say! Weed killer is not free lawn care. 

I'm not sure they could compensate enough. One of my back fence neighbors sprayed their yard, after they moved there is a significant increase in pollinators in the neighborhood. So some of what you lost isn't just plants. I would be FURIOUS at that remark.

• Like 10

Just now, Clarita said:

😲That's a terrible thing to say! Weed killer is not free lawn care. 

I'm not sure they could compensate enough. One of my back fence neighbors sprayed their yard, after they moved there is a significant increase in pollinators in the neighborhood. So some of what you lost isn't just plants. I would be FURIOUS at that remark.

Furious would be an understatement of what I was when she said that.  

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

That is one I am trying to figure out the exact amount. The profit loss is something that will stink.  I sell my extras at a reasonable cost as we have a lot of seniors who can’t afford much food.  I am know for it and the seniors and families have always appreciated it.  

Those seniors and families may be willing to write a brief letter on your behalf, stating that they were your paying customers for X number of years. 

• Like 11

Do you know exactly what they sprayed? Was it a weed killer or pre-emergent? Most of those chemicals are pretty selective, so more may be spared than you would think. 

We used to have our bermuda lawn treated regularly, and we never lost a shrub, rose, peony, tree, etc. 

I'm not minimizing what happened at all--it's horrendous! I'm just hoping it's not as bad as it could be. The only non selective weed killer I know of is Round Up, but no lawn care companies that I know ever use that because it would kill the lawn, too. 

Actually, I've accidentally sprayed round up on daffodils--many years ago in my stupid youth lol--. They came back the next year.

Gosh. I really hope it's not all gone. That's just tragic. 😞

Edited by popmom

5 minutes ago, popmom said:

Do you know exactly what they sprayed? Was it a weed killer or pre-emergent? Most of those chemicals are pretty selective, so more may be spared that you would think. 

We used to have our bermuda lawn treated regularly, and we never lost a shrub, rose, peony, tree, etc. 

I'm not minimizing what happened at all--it's horrendous! I'm just hoping it's not as bad as it could be. The only non selective weed killer I know of is Round Up, but no lawn care companies that I know ever use that because it would kill the lawn, too. 

Actually, I've accidentally sprayed round up on daffodils--many years ago in my stupid youth lol--. They came back the next year.

Gosh. I really hope it's not all gone. That's just tragic. 😞

I know what they used.  I did get information from the manufacturer and it is not good.  Especially the amount applied for the size of my yard. You can see the damage so far to what has leaves out already.  Even the boxwoods are showing damage. 

• Sad 19

Oh my gosh, that is *horrible*! I would be murderously incensed. I think I would need more than a hug; I would need a straight jacket. 

I could not be more horrified this happened. 

• Like 4

I think you need to demand that they not just reimburse you for plants, but pay for a landscaping company to install a comparable garden. If they refuse, then sue them. You shouldn’t be doing the physical labor to make this right. Seriously, get estimates for the work and send them an itemized bill. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Oh my gosh, that is *horrible*! I would be murderously incensed. I think I would need more than a hug; I would need a straight jacket. 

I could not be more horrified this happened. 

My neighbors might think a straight jacket is best as I was outside sobbing will washing my plants while it was in the 40s.   

• Sad 13

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

So far they have offered monetary damage along with an offer to replace my front yard.  But how much monetary for the plants we will see.  Heads will roll and I am not going down without a fight.  The first person I talked to learned that after she kind of said I should be grateful for free lawn care… That wasn’t a smart move lady. 

Whoa! I would document that with date, time, and if you know names, who you talked to. That's horrible!!!

My DH is having a fit on your behalf and said you should also keep track of the time you've spent trying to salvage plants and all the time it will take to rip stuff out, not just doing the replacing.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think you need to demand that they not just reimburse you for plants, but pay for a landscaping company to install a comparable garden. If they refuse, then sue them. You shouldn’t be doing the physical labor to make this right. Seriously, get estimates for the work and send them an itemized bill. 

Thanks.  I am trying to gather all the plant costs and figure out my labor rate as I know I could never hire someone to do it.  

• Like 1