Menu

s/o -how long does it take to get relief from a cortisone injection?

Kassia

I have had shots for a neuroma in my left foot multiple times over the years.

The first time I got a cortisone shot, I never got good relief. I had to have a second shot. My neuroma at that point was really severe. I now know to get help fast if it starts causing issues, and I've had much better outcomes since then. 

The other times, it starts to help pretty quickly (days?) for me though it seems to take about a week to get full help. 

I hope you see good results quickly. Foot pain can be so limiting. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Thanks 1

I had a shot in my foot for capsulitis and it made the pain much worse. It took days to get relief from the *additional* pain of the injection. Then the tissue in the area started to atrophy and shrivel, and it took half a year to restore.

I will never again have a cortisone injection. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, regentrude said:

I had a shot in my foot for capsulitis and it made the pain much worse. It took days to get relief from the *additional* pain of the injection. Then the tissue in the area started to atrophy and shrivel, and it took half a year to restore.

I will never again have a cortisone injection. 

I've always been wary of them because I know they can do harm.  I refused the shot at a previous appointment but it's actually diagnostic as well as therapeutic (response vs. lack of response might give the surgeon a better idea of what is causing the pain) so I agreed with hesitation.  

@regentrude how do you know the tissue atrophied and shriveled?  I know the shots can cause damage but I was just wondering how you know that happened.

Thank you to everyone for the responses and good wishes!  

11 hours ago, Kassia said:

@regentrude how do you know the tissue atrophied and shriveled?  I know the shots can cause damage but I was just wondering how you know that happened.

Because I could see it. The treated foot looked all skinny and bony compared to the other foot as the soft tissue in the vicinity of the injection had shriveled up.

• Thanks 1

My doctor told me that I should start feeling relief right away. In some cases I did and in others I never had any relief at all. I've had them in my shoulder, hip and foot. The ones in my hip were usually the most effective ones. The ones in my foot and shoulder never worked. I hope you find some relief soon. Foot pain makes everything more miserable.

• Thanks 1