Menu

What is your signature dish?

saraha

44 minutes ago, dsmith said:

So the Gold Star Chili seasoning is a Cincinnati chili? Oh, I have to try this!! I love Cincinnati chili and this sound nice and easy! I probably won't find the seasoning in NJ, but Amazon has it.

Did you discover your love for Cincinnati chili at skyline, gold star or empress? OR is there another chili parlour I don’t know about?!?

1 hour ago, TarynB said:

Would you be willing to share your recipe here? My college son would love these, I think, and I'm going to visit him soon. 🥰

Sure! Sorry for the giant text, I cut and pasted it from a doc and I can’t figure out how to change it 😄 I’ve made with both creamy and chunky peanut butter with good results. I think you could probably use regular rolled oats too, but I like the texture old-fashioned gives. 

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies 

• 1 C butter (2 sticks)

• 1 C brown sugar

• ¾ C white sugar

• 1 C peanut butter

• 2 eggs (3 if doubling)

• 2 tsp baking soda

• 1 tsp salt

• 1 ½ C flour

• 1 ½ C old fashioned oatmeal

• 2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream butter, sugar, eggs, and peanut butter together. Add in dry ingredients and then chocolate chips and bake at 350 for 10-12 min.

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Sure! Sorry for the giant text, I cut and pasted it from a doc and I can’t figure out how to change it 😄 I’ve made with both creamy and chunky peanut butter with good results. I think you could probably use regular rolled oats too, but I like the texture old-fashioned gives. 

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies 

• 1 C butter (2 sticks)

• 1 C brown sugar

• ¾ C white sugar

• 1 C peanut butter

• 2 eggs (3 if doubling)

• 2 tsp baking soda

• 1 tsp salt

• 1 ½ C flour

• 1 ½ C old fashioned oatmeal

• 2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream butter, sugar, eggs, and peanut butter together. Add in dry ingredients and then chocolate chips and bake at 350 for 10-12 min.

@Forget-Me-Not thank you so, so much! I'm excited to make these! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, saraha said:

Did you discover your love for Cincinnati chili at skyline, gold star or empress? OR is there another chili parlour I don’t know about?!?

There was a Skyline right next to our hotel. I did try Gold Star once, but since the Skyline was right there I only remember eating that. It's been on my list of things to make at home but I never remember to actually make it.☺️

• Like 1

So is there gonna be a place to share recipes for all these yummy-sounding dishes??  

Mine are bean dip (recipe stolen from my sister, who was the famous cook in the family till she went gluten-free 🥴); Swedish meatball recipe from high school Home Ec; chicken vindaloo.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dsmith said:

There was a Skyline right next to our hotel. I did try Gold Star once, but since the Skyline was right there I only remember eating that. It's been on my list of things to make at home but I never remember to actually make it.☺️

If you are a skyline fan, I don’t think they sell the seasoning packets but they do sell the chili in a can… around here your either team skyline or team gold star😆

eta: I just looked at the seasoning packets on Amazon and they are ridiculous! Just send me your address, I’ll mail you some if you can’t find it! You too @pinball!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Mac&cheese, and mashed potatoes.
Or Swedish flipping meatballs, lol.

I have a recipe for "refrigerator mashed potatoes," which can be made a week ahead of time, refrigerated, and then reheated as needed. I will take this to a potluck if I am familiar with the group and know that no one else will bring potatoes but there NEEDS TO BE potatoes. 🙂

• Like 2

Probably either channa masala or something involving seasoned black beans.

When my kids request food, it's the Indian stuff.

When I am feeding my husband's gaming buddies, the most popular thing is a taco bar setup with the seasoned black beans, rice and an assortment of fixings. 

Because we're a veg/vegan household with a variety of intense likes/dislikes and some intolerances, I've spent a lot of time over the years adapting recipes to fit our needs. When my older kiddo moved out, they took with them a small collection of their favorite recipes. I know my pumpkin muffins are one of the things they make every year for Friendsgiving. So, the traditions continue. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Ellie said:

Maybe banana pudding, which is much more popular here in the South than it was in California. 🙂 I use the recipe I found on the Eagle brand Sweetened Condensed Milk can.

I am sorry you have not crossed paths with my CA-born husband to see his banana pudding-induced euphoria. 😉 He's a sugar hound, and he loves pudding and fruit.

I don't know what my signature dish is. What I take places or make for people has varied with my own food intolerance ups and downs. I tend to make relatively plain food, but it goes over well (sometimes people realize they like it precisely because it's plainer than some other version of the same thing, particularly if I make potato salad).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My kids’ favorite would be guacamole which I made almost daily for their school lunches for many years. They also like a kimchi recipe that is made with a lot of ginger. We eat a lot of kimchi.

For my husband, it would be chilis rellenos. It’s just blackened poblano peppers stuffed with manchego cheese and topped with chipotle salsa. I usually serve it with a fried zucchini/onion/corn/poblano pepper dish, one of Rick Bayless’s recipes.

My favorite recipe is a keto gingerbread with lemon frosting. I eat that almost every day.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I am sorry you have not crossed paths with my CA-born husband to see his banana pudding-induced euphoria. 😉 He's a sugar hound, and he loves pudding and fruit.

Here's the recipe. As long as you follow directions, and never, ever use off-brand/store-brand ingredients, it will never fail you. 🙂

As a personal thing, I usually use a glass bowl (it's actually a Princess House salad bowl), and I line the sides with the vanilla wafers in each layer (extras are plopped in the middle). It looks lovely that way. 🙂

Once we went to a potluck where someone had made, IDK, a banana tart, I guess; it was tasty, but nothing, not one bit, like a banana pudding. I brought banana pudding to the next get-together, and she said, Oh, look, something like mine. Mr. Ellie and I shared glances with each other, knowing that she was off by a mile, but we just smiled and carried on. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, saraha said:

Is the stew in a chicken broth?

No, it's this sort of melange of meatballs, chopped swiss chard, chopped carrots and onions, and chickpeas.  Just a little liquid and then some lemon juice.  Here is the original recipe, which I've tweaked a bit over time.  

• Thanks 1

I make roasted red pepper spaghetti sauce because I'm allergic to tomatoes and everyone loves it. They are surprised there aren't any tomatoes in it if they didn't know before hand. I use it to make lasagna without tomatoes too.

I make tomato free ketchup and BBQ sauce as well. Dh says the ketchup tastes like cocktail sauce. Lol.

Dh really likes when I make cheeseburger Mac from scratch. I prefer chili Mac from scratch. Ds10 likes my taco meat with homemade seasoning, black beans and green chilies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeachGal said:

My kids’ favorite would be guacamole which I made almost daily for their school lunches for many years. They also like a kimchi recipe that is made with a lot of ginger. We eat a lot of kimchi.

For my husband, it would be chilis rellenos. It’s just blackened poblano peppers stuffed with manchego cheese and topped with chipotle salsa. I usually serve it with a fried zucchini/onion/corn/poblano pepper dish, one of Rick Bayless’s recipes.

My favorite recipe is a keto gingerbread with lemon frosting. I eat that almost every day.

I am so impressed that you actually make Bayless Mexican food.  I have that cookbook and every time I pick it up, I find chained recipes galore and nothing that I am willing to make.  I'm sure they are all wonderful, but dang.  Finding an avocado leaf to char for a particular recipe would just about do me in, let alone all the recipes that call for other recipes as ingredients.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I am so impressed that you actually make Bayless Mexican food.  I have that cookbook and every time I pick it up, I find chained recipes galore and nothing that I am willing to make.  I'm sure they are all wonderful, but dang.  Finding an avocado leaf to char for a particular recipe would just about do me in, let alone all the recipes that call for other recipes as ingredients.

Ha! No, I don’t make any of his recipes that are too complicated or call for exotic ingredients. The zucchini recipe uses nothing too exotic and is easy to make. I will freeze the cubed zucchini and sliced onions in quart bags so that they are ready to go. Usually after a trip to Costco where I get the zukes. In his book it’s called Zucchini with Roasted Peppers, Corn and Cream. It’s good on lettuce as well. Two thumbs up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Ha! No, I don’t make any of his recipes that are too complicated or call for exotic ingredients. The zucchini recipe uses nothing too exotic and is easy to make. I will freeze the cubed zucchini and sliced onions in quart bags so that they are ready to go. Usually after a trip to Costco where I get the zukes. In his book it’s called Zucchini with Roasted Peppers, Corn and Cream. It’s good on lettuce as well. Two thumbs up.

See, DH and I both dislike zucchini unless it is raw or almost raw, but I will keep that recipe in mind as a fast easy one if we ever need some variety.  I love that cookbook as an art book, but wow.  Literally the only thing I have ever made in it is the refried beans.  Of course, they are To. Die. For.

I have different dishes for different people 🤣 My daughter likes my fried rice, my son likes chicken and dumplings, and my husband likes linguine with clams. One friend thinks my signature dish is scones and another feels it is crab dip. The crab dip friend’s husband recently decided my vegetarian muffaletta is the best thing ever. For dance events I generally bring homemade hummus. For some reason nobody I know makes homemade hummus with chickpeas cooked from dried. They rave that mine is so good, but it’s really basic. The cooked dried chickpeas just taste that much better than canned. Oh, my sister has some real nostalgia for my tuna salad because I used to make it for our lunch in the summertime when we were growing up. 

• Like 3