Menu

Nice t-shirts to wear under cardigan or casual blazer?

Just Kate

I am trying to clean my closet out and get rid of clothes I no longer wear, don’t fit, and/or I just don’t like. I’ve found I have several cheap t-shirts that I originally bought to wear for layering. I would love to buy some that are nicer quality and might actually hold their shape. Do you have any favorites?

My favorites right now are Eddie Bauer and L.L.Bean.  The Bean ones tend to be slightly thicker and a more polished cotton, but also have more variety in shape than EB (I swear I can get the same shirt in 5 different necklines, arm lengths, and finishings at Bean).  My EB ones tend to be cheaper and stretchier, making them favorites for traveling and going under sweaters.  The best part about both, though, is that I will never have to worry about my bra showing right through. They are both a decent weight for wearing alone or under something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is going to sound weird, but I needed some cheap t shirts last summer so bought some mens v neck t shirts from Walmart, and I love them! I wore them all summer and then all winter under cardigans, jackets etc. wasn’t expecting that, but I liked the v neck but not as low cut as a womens

• Like 3

I've lately fallen in love with merino wool & wool blends, which is admittedly very $$ for a t-shirt, but holy heck I love them anyway. 

The ones I get are from Wool&  (https://wooland.com/)  -- I have & love the Stella, the Morgan, and the Ari; haven't tried the Sloan, Cara, or Melanie yet (Cara is next on my list, as I'd really like a higher neck one). They are pricey, but the ability to go several wears between washing, the temperature regulating properties, and the fact that one shirt can go from workout wear to office/dressy wear is just really impressive to me. 

They do have a "stock up and save" thing on some of them, if you get more than 1 of the same type.  (the Stella with the linen blend is amazing, too). 

Anyway, super pricey, I know, but.....

• Like 1

These have a nice shape and are super soft https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=4464950320001&vid=1&tid=gppl000062&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=CjwKCAiA9NGfBhBvEiwAq5vSy3SCJV_sXDiv3ik9m_du0xTXxRZcP-0enbh7tMmrcznjSE5r-MJpsRoC4ywQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds. They do run small--even though I'm only 5'3 I ordered them in long so there's enough tummy coverage. 

Athleta makes some nice t shirts too, and they last forever. https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=444072072&vid=1#pdp-page-content

• Like 1

My current favorites are the Caslon brand, which are sold (exclusively?) at Nordstrom.  They hold up really well, and are nicely fitted and reasonably priced.  The short sleeved models cover most of my upper arm.

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/caslon-ballet-neck-cotton-modal-knit-elbow-sleeve-tee-regular-petite/4102790?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FAll Results&color=413

Edited by DoraBora

11 hours ago, Selkie said:

My favorites are Life Is Good solid color tees. They’re a nice medium weight.

I love Life is Good tees. I get the heavyweight cotton ones with a v-neck. After many uses, the v-neck starts to sag. I think that is probably because they are all cotton? I've tried various things I found online to smooth them out and get them to be like-new, but that hasn't worked. I don't have any of their other necklines. But these do not pill and they are color fast - unless you splash bleach on yourself. 

I also have both LL Bean and Landsend tees. Both are very good quality too.