Menu

Is there a universe in which I can say Baklava is kinda healthy?

Ginevra

33 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Yes!  I'm basically housebound these days on account of a Terrorist Puppy, and am longing for human contact. It's like lockdown all over again, except much much messier.

What is a terrorist puppy? Is like a land shark puppy?

i think pictures are in order

• Like 1

I believe Baklava has nutritional qualities. I'm in the camp (it may be a camp of one without credentials) of food can be healthy for your body and food can be healthy for the soul and that's important too. We should not neglect food that is healthy for the soul, because we need to take care of our emotional health as well as our physical health.

At least that's what I would say if someone were to give me grief over eating Baklava.  

Unless I was unclear there is ZERO reason for anyone to believe that I have any real expertise in the medical or nutritional field.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, freesia said:

Wait! That’s everywhere, right?

Hey, grab your chips, pick up @Quill in MD, then me (I’ll make the Baklava) in NY and we’ll head for @Pam in CT! I think you’re only about 14 hours from CT.  

Y’all are in the frozen northland. It’s trying to be spring here. Let’s all go to someplace warm and sunny to enjoy our baklava. Pam will need a big-deal dog sitter for the puppy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

If you're buying it from some nice refugee ladies (or gents,) supporting a small, local business then it is positively virtuous.

I have never made it. We buy it from the various local bakeries: Greek, Turkish, Lebanese, Kurdish, Egyptian… We live in a very baklava-prolific area. 😎🎉

All small, family owned businesses. 

Eta: We’ve never bought from several stores at once and taste-tested. My kids would LOVE that! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, freesia said:

Wait! That’s everywhere, right?

Hey, grab your chips, pick up @Quill in MD, then me (I’ll make the Baklava) in NY and we’ll head for @Pam in CT! I think you’re only about 14 hours from CT.  

I drove to CT once. My friend there told me exactly which hour to leave by so I would not hit Insane NYC traffic. I failed to leave by then. Added two traffic-filled hours to a 9-hour drive. #superdumb.  Also, this was prior to GPS and I had paper Mapquest printouts that my friend’s dh had edited in red pen! So I’m heading for the bridge spaghetti outside of NY and I’m *reading* directions. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Well, the pistachios in baklava are good for me nutrition wise 🙂 I do like all kinds but prefer the pistachio ones. 

I just watched a YT of a sweet lady making it with pistachios. I think that’s my recipe, right there. I don’t think I’ve had pistachio baklava before but that seems like a good way. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Y’all are in the frozen northland. It’s trying to be spring here. Let’s all go to someplace warm and sunny to enjoy our baklava. Pam will need a big-deal dog sitter for the puppy! 

Or.... I could BRING HIM....

re MD to CT

3 hours ago, Quill said:

I drove to CT once. My friend there told me exactly which hour to leave by so I would not hit Insane NYC traffic. I failed to leave by then. Added two traffic-filled hours to a 9-hour drive. #superdumb.  Also, this was prior to GPS and I had paper Mapquest printouts that my friend’s dh had edited in red pen! So I’m heading for the bridge spaghetti outside of NY and I’m *reading* directions. 

Yeah, this is one of those segments that (even today with GPS systems) you REALLY can't rely on "what appears to be the shortest distance in mileage" and you REALLY have to overlay a lived knowledge of traffic flows.  I think you're fairly western MD?  If so your friend should have advised to head up to 81 through PA all the way to 84 and hang a right, and thereby veering 50 miles west of the NYC spaghetti.  (We call this "the High Road" and take it to pretty much anywhere south that isn't literally on the coast. It's a lot more miles and -- trust me on this -- a lot less time.)

If we're headed to somewhere like Baltimore or WDC we have to stay on the coast but we **definitely** time it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I still remember the very first time I ever had it. It was in downtown St. Augustine, off in a little side alley. You couldn't even see it from the main thorough fare. I was there on a field trip and the mom supervising my group knew of the little amazing place. After that, I never went to St. Augustine without going down that side alley for the best treat in the world.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I think I could have understood Edmund's actions a whole lot better if it had been baklava instead of Turkish Delight.

My brother who lives in Turkey brought us a box of various kinds of Turkish delight. And it was the biggest disappointment. Not what I’d pictured at all.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

These were the fancy gourmet kind. And they were alright but nothing that would make me plot with a witch over.

“*This* is your dilemma! Edmund! Come on!” 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Or.... I could BRING HIM....

re MD to CT

Yeah, this is one of those segments that (even today with GPS systems) you REALLY can't rely on "what appears to be the shortest distance in mileage" and you REALLY have to overlay a lived knowledge of traffic flows.  I think you're fairly western MD?  If so your friend should have advised to head up to 81 through PA all the way to 84 and hang a right, and thereby veering 50 miles west of the NYC spaghetti.  (We call this "the High Road" and take it to pretty much anywhere south that isn't literally on the coast. It's a lot more miles and -- trust me on this -- a lot less time.)

If we're headed to somewhere like Baltimore or WDC we have to stay on the coast but we **definitely** time it.

I’m fairly central, though I have heard of people going by way of 81 to make it more manageable. If I made that drive more often, I’m sure I would try a couple of different ideas. 

• Like 1

I’ve been spoiled and can’t really eat baklava anymore after my dh worked with a man who grew up in Turkey as the son of a baker.  He loved baklava but didn’t know how to make it for fewer than a hundred people, so every few weeks, he brought a huge platter of it to work.  That stuff was possibly the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten, but now every other baklava tastes flat and just not worthwhile.  I’m pretty sure if I ever get to heaven that baklava will be there.  

• Like 7

17 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

If you are bringing yummy food come to my place! It's 83 degrees here!

17 hours ago, freesia said:

We could have @Pam in CTdrive and head for @ktgrok in Florida instead. 

Ha, great minds think alike. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

It is sweet, so that to me is what makes it a little gem of a dessert, a small portion is satisfying. Commercial versions I’ve tried (like at Greek restaurants) are super sweet, but my son makes it less so, and still cuts it into small pieces. It’s really a labor of love to make.  

That’s how I like it too: little pieces, not super sweet. 

• Like 3