Menu

6th grader possibly heading to B&M school for the first time in 7th or 8th — thoughts?

6th grade DD has always homeschooled. DS just graduated, we homeschooled K - 12, so we have no experience with B&M schools.

Our family is making an agonizingly slow decision regarding an international move. We are taking time to information-gather while we wait on other people to firm up their plans. (Our potential move is such that we could start the process tomorrow or next year, it’s really up to our comfort level.) Lots of things we are considering, but foremost is DD’s school experience. And I’ll say it up front: DH and I are both on the fence about this, and our kids are the main stumbling block. We are not convinced this is the best option for either of them, so all the info gathering may be in vain.

Homeschooling is not an option where would be moving. DD would be moving to an international school, most likely a British school, and it looks like we would make the move next winter, though we may be able to push it off till the end of the academic year and get her through 7th at home.

She does not want to go to school, and would prefer to homeschool. Sigh. We would, too, but can see some good opportunities for her if we go this route. 

Any recommendations for the transition or for planning to make that transition? 

We are a BYL family and she’s done that since we grade 1, she’s a strong writer, we use TT for math (not her favorite subject). She was taking French, but switching to German. While I think she’s getting a good education, I’m not sure what we might need to beef up, or if we are on course for her to head into an international school. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

DS12 went to school this year for the first time (7th grade).  The things that helped him the most were these:

developing a solid routine

learning to read a rubric/attention to detail

heavy emphasis on executive functioning skills and tailoring the day around their development

"stress free" hacks: Putting a cup of pencils on his desk at home and having him make sure he had 3 pencils in his backpack every day, getting a binder with a file folder at the beginning so he could shove papers in for the moment then organize at home, putting his snack budget on autopay...little things that make his life easier with minimal effort this year.

His work is perfectly adequate this year for a transition.  The more we keep a routine, the easier it is for him to be successful.  Anytime we find there's a crack we either directly email the teacher where he's struggling or tweak the routine at home.  Like, we noticed he was consistently being unprepared for one class.  Just one.  I clarified in an email what the criteria was and what he was missing.  Turns out he was messing with his mechanical pencils, jamming them, and didn't have them working for a class that needed them.  Which is why we went to regular pencils & making sure he had 3.  I relayed that info to the teacher and asked her to reach out if there was anything else that came up during the year.  So far, so good, but keeping open communication with all his teachers has been such a boost to making sure he transitioned well.

• Thanks 1