Menu

Algebra 1 Options for a Math Minded Student

Any recommendations for a math minded 8th grader who has already completed the first semester of Algebra 1 (Honors Math at Local JR High). He has done mostly Singapore Math in his elementry years and did well with it. In 7th grade he took Pre-Algebra through virtual class/tutor and did very well with it. In 8th grade he asked to try the local Jr High but during the semeter break asked if he could return home (had an A last semester in Algebra 1).

I had purchased the AOPS Into to Algebra books during the summer break between 7th and 8th but he isn't loving their curriculum format and today looked up some practice sheets to do based on where they were working in his jr high school. I'm not a huge fan of Saxon Math (I did that growing up in the 80's & 90's as a home educated child). Student wants to stay up challenging in this math skills. I'm rather lost at this point in helping him. 

We have used Video Text successfully with both my mathy and non-mathy kids. The first few units might be review for him though.

Lots of good math students don't enjoy the AoPS methodology, it's definitely not for everyone. My oldest loved it but the rest of mine begged not to have to do it lol!

If you have a background/ability/confidence/desire which would make you able to teach directly from a textbook you could look at Jacob's or Lial's or Forester's. They are all good reliable algebra texts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We used Dolciani's Pre-Algebra and Algebra I coming out of Singapore Math (we used Math in Focus through Course 1, which is 6th grade). As ScoutTN noted, they are out of print, so you would have to buy used copies. I am not sure how easy/hard those are to find nowadays.

I wanted to recommend this site for free videos. I really love his teaching style and it has helped me learn ahead of my kids. https://www.profrobbob.com/algebra

The pinned math thread that ScoutTN mentioned is here:  

• Like 2

Singapore  dimensions 6-8 is really good. I didn’t realize how good it was until we switched to DO.  If he is familiar with Singapore, you could consider Dimensions.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

My favorites are Jacob’s, Foersters, and Dolciani. They are all equal quality but a little different in presentation. I don’t think there is much point to considering Singapore Dimensions because he is far enough along that I don’t think it would be worth starting.

Edited by Janeway
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning update. Thank you to everyone for the options and thoughts. I had typed up a post a few weeks back but apparently didn't submit it before leaving the sight. 🤦‍♀️ We decided to return to HighSchoolMathLive.com with the At My Pace option. It was not an option I knew about before posting my questions. It is already going well for my student and for myself. 🙂

I am very appreciative of the help I always get here on WTMF and hope someday I can return the information favors. 🙂

• Thanks 1