Menu

Kindergarten Planning 2023

Clarita

I don't have things solidified, but I'll start the thread anyway. 

HWOT: Kick Start Kindergarten

Math: Singapore Math K (Earlybird Kindergarten)

Reading: AAR level 1 (if she's ready). 

Writing/Language Arts: Bravewriter Quill or tagalong Dart depends on whether older brother is ready for Dart or not.

Science: Mystery Science

History: ?? 

Bible: ?? 

• Like 1

I can't figure out if my current 4.5yo is gifted or just advanced because she has 4 other siblings but she's currently zoomed through everything that I had planned for her entire year so we are moving her along. 

Handwriting Without Tears

Phonics Pathways - she's motivated to learn to read so she doesn't care if it isn't "fun". I think she'll be able to get halfway through this current year so next year we will just keep plugging along. 

JUMP Math K/Grade 1

Exploring Nature With Children

• Like 2

12 hours ago, alysee said:

I dont know why I thought exploring Nature with  children was what I was going to use because this kid hates getting dirty, hates anything crawling. I will probably make my own literature unit studies like Five in a Row.

Maybe just read the books without the interacting with nature aspect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For my 5 year old:

Math: Saxon 2

Phonics: Finish up AAR 1 and move into AAR 2

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser Handwriting 1

Spelling: slowly introduce AAS 1, but I'm not forcing it at this point. 

Science: Elemental Science--Intro to Science

Social Studies: 180 Days of Geography for Kindergarten by Shell Education. Also learning about the different states in the US using resources from our library. 

• Like 2

My last kindy 😞

Math: Math With Confidence (finish K and start 1)

Phonics: Logic of English Foundations B; I See Sam readers, Dash into Learning readers

Handwriting: Dash into Learning

Science: BookShark B Science

Whatever she absorbs from hanging out in the school room with her big sibs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our little guy will be in kindergarten, and I'm excited to see how this year goes.

Math: second half of TGTB K and Wild Math K; board games

Science & Nature: Tagging along for B&R 5 Oceanography & Astronomy; For the Love of Homeschooling Nature Study Club

Language Arts: finish up B&R Level 0; Bob Books; OPGtTR; handwriting probably using wipeable books; board games

Social Studies: Everyone else is doing modern history this year, but he's a bit young for that. Big sisters will be doing Layers of Learning World Geography so he'll tag along for that.

Edited by AsgardCA
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bible: Reading through a children's Bible, questions for kids and AWANA Bible memory

Math: I think we’ll continue with TGTB Math 1. He likes the colors and little games. He may also do some BA. 

HIstory, science, LA- FIAR

reading- Probably AAR 

He will also join in with our chosen Campfire Curriculums studies throughout the year. He’s already starting to chime in as he listens while playing  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have finally got most of next year planned out. All we need to figure out is handwriting.

MWC K

After finishing teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons we will switch to oridinary parents guide to teaching reading and phonics pathways as reinforcement and practice

Memoria Press Enrichment charter version. I got this because I prefer scripted curriculum. I may supplement some of the read alouds to fit our needs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pre-K (will be a newly 4yr old boy)-  little hands to heaven HOD, literature studies with: picture book activities by Trish Kushner/FIAR/BFIAR

possibly Easy Peasy Preschool offline book if ready.

WeeFolkArt also looks amazing.  Maybe following year.

Edited by Lovinglife123

My current working plan for K is
MWC K
HWT
Phonics Pilot I'm working with
and maybe some CK
he will also listen in on EWS, SOTW, Song School Latin
I'm also throwing around the idea of Kindergarten Morning Work from MP and the Recitation schedule from MP

Any thoughts or insights?

For Bible studies, I created my children's curriculum based on their specific needs. When they were younger, they needed a lot of healing bible stories because they had special needs. As young adults now, they need Bible stories and scriptures that can help them figure life out. Canva is an excellent resource. 

• 1 month later...

Starting to think about K for my youngest next year. She turned 5 in May this year and I tried to do some PreK-ish things with her but she was very resistant to doing school for most of the year. In the last few months she's becoming more willing, so I'm hoping this next year we can do a bit. I'm not opposed to spreading "kindergarten" over two years and finishing in the year she turns 6 if she needs the extra maturity. This is kid 4, I don't have near the anxiety I did with my oldest about milestones 🙃

Plan for 2023-2024:

Reading: AAR1 with BOB books, Dash into Learning, and Progressive Phonics to break up as needed.

Writing: Probably Catholic Heritage Curricula's K book, but I'm considering some other options because it is so strongly tied to their reading program which I am not using.

Science: Tag along with 3rd grade brother's Mystery Science and Let's Read and Find Out. Zoo Homeschool class.

Math: Singapore Math Standards Edition Kindergarten A / B books with Wisdom Wonder Project videos 

History: I'll try and play our middle ages books in the car while driving so maybe she picks it up a bit. A few picture books that I'll read to her and big brother. We will attend a Medieval Faire.

I'll try and fit in Memoria Press's Enrichment as I can. She also gets a wide variety of different topics in morning time with siblings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is my 5th kiddo. She’ll do—

Math with Confidence (she’s working on K now and we’ll just roll into 1st whenever we get there) 

TGTB K language arts & handwriting 

and she’s starting Suzuki violin. 

We have some informal exposure to Spanish going—mostly songs, TalkBox, overhearing the older kids Spanish lessons, and she often asks to watch Salsa Spanish videos right after her other lessons 

Everything else will come through my book basket time with her and younger brother, outside play, listening in on Morning time with the older kids, and her enrichment “class” at our co-op. 

Edited by lucyintheshadowlands
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 7:21 PM, Cordelia said:

DS-almost-5 will be K age in the fall. He is all over the place. 

Math: finish Saxon 1, probably switch to CLE after that

Phonics: continue on with the pilot he's participating in

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting

Bible: Awana 

Some slight modifications, as one does: 

DS5 - 

Math - finishing Saxon 1, CLE 1

Phonics - continue pilot

Handwriting - Channie's 
Bible - Awana

Everything else - Gentle + Classical Primer

He is tagging along with DS7 for history, science, and Latin. 

He has also developed an interest in Spanish, so we're playing around with that using Spanish books from the library. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is for my daughter's first year of kindergarten. She just turned 5.

Reading: Finishing Dancing Bears Book B, hopefully completing Book C (and finally be finished with phonics!). I have Megawords waiting in the wings as backup. 

Math: Finish Saxon K. I'm not planning on starting her with Saxon 1 until she's 6 because math at that level takes around 45 minutes a day (at least it does with my son!).

Handwriting: Finish the 4 CLE preschool books for prewriting, then transition to Cursive First (and eventually New American Cursive)

Language Arts: MCT Poodle level; Royal Fireworks Press Aesop books

Geography: Evan-Moor Grade 1 Daily Geography Practice

Science: Nancy Larson Science K; interest-led books (currently felines and astronomy). She wants a telescope for Christmas...

Enrichment: Jazz and gymnastics, weekly visit to the botanical gardens, theater shows twice a month. She wants to learn the flute, but that will need to wait a few years!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/3/2023 at 7:51 AM, Brooke said:

We have finally got most of next year planned out. All we need to figure out is handwriting.

MWC K

After finishing teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons we will switch to oridinary parents guide to teaching reading and phonics pathways as reinforcement and practice

Memoria Press Enrichment charter version. I got this because I prefer scripted curriculum. I may supplement some of the read alouds to fit our needs.

I figured I’d update. My son will be 5 in January for reference. He may be gifted but I don’t have proof yet.

We are about to finish AAR level 1 and go to AAR 2

HWOT letters and numbers for me. I’d say about halfway done

singapore Earlybird math. We just started K1B. I hated MWK. It wasn’t right for us. That’s why we switched. So far my son and I both enjoy it.

Memoria press we are still using for Literature, art, music and science. The literature and the guide is fantastic. I wish there were more guides like this out there. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

This is what’s working but I do wish Memoria Press had science more often so I’m trying to decide between SCI, elemental science or BFSU

5 hours ago, Brooke said:

This is what’s working but I do wish Memoria Press had science more often so I’m trying to decide between SCI, elemental science or BFSU

SCI and BFSU is the same content. SCI just schedules it for you, gives you worksheets/printables and links to some videos and extra materials. Elemental Science didn't work for us because there is a lot of writing or "writing"/drawing in that and my eldest didn't want to do that.  

15 hours ago, Clarita said:

SCI and BFSU is the same content. SCI just schedules it for you, gives you worksheets/printables and links to some videos and extra materials. Elemental Science didn't work for us because there is a lot of writing or "writing"/drawing in that and my eldest didn't want to do that.  

Thanks! I feel like you and I have a similar child from what I’ve  seen you post so far. My son likes worksheets but can’t stand to sit and color and loves more than anything science experiments. Do you like SCI? My husband seems drawn to that one too. 

I like it. This year I feel like it's a little too much science for us. We have a membership to a science museum, and a Kiwi crate subscription. So I feel like we need to do an easier routine science. The science museum started to rotate their exhibits more often and put in more things this year. It's bringing a lot of science to the table. 

If I didn't have the science museum I think I would stick with SCI. I think it's solid and pretty painless to implement. I would print as I go though instead of printing it all out in the beginning. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, Brooke said:

So we're about halfway through Elemental Science (the Intro level), and it's ok, but it seems like the pacing was off---did we really need a week on rocks, then a separate week on metamorphic rocks, a week for igneous rocks (volcano), and another week on sedimentary rocks? I get that she was trying to do 6 weeks per main topic, but this was a stretch. 

The upper levels (bio/chem/physics/earth science and astronomy) seem to be paced better.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 3:00 PM, MaryCrawley said:

So we're about halfway through Elemental Science (the Intro level), and it's ok, but it seems like the pacing was off---did we really need a week on rocks, then a separate week on metamorphic rocks, a week for igneous rocks (volcano), and another week on sedimentary rocks? I get that she was trying to do 6 weeks per main topic, but this was a stretch. 

The upper levels (bio/chem/physics/earth science and astronomy) seem to be paced better.

Thanks for this! My son loves science but he hates spending too much time on one thing. I don’t think we could spend a week on rocks. We just got BFSU today and I skimmed it a little bit and so far I feel like we can make this work. It kind of reminds me of core knowledge with how it builds on itself. It’s not as scary as I have heard others say so I feel better about it. Hoping it will be a good fit. I love the digging deeper aspect. It really appears to be thorough and I like that. Let’s hope! 

• Like 1