Menu

Pre-k Planning 2023

Nm.

he will be 4.. my last baby 🥲

Possibly start WeeFolkArt if he’s ready with Explode the Code ABC.  If not just continue what we’re doing (on the shelf)

on the shelf: HOD little hands to heaven, before five in a row, five in a row, easy peasy preschool

• Like 2

More tot school than pre-k, but…

My oldest is two and a half, and we are going to continue doing the Memoria Press Preschool. It’s been perfect for his age so far. We’ve enjoyed the book selections and the little activities. With a new baby, it’s been nice to have that fifteen minutes together of one-on-one time.

After we finish that, we will start Playing Preschool. Reading a good book and doing a fun, age-appropriate activity is exactly what we enjoy together right now, so I think this will be a hit. I’ve heard great things about this program! I’ll probably keep the Memoria Press thing going of starting with a short prayer.

Finally, now that he’s old enough to start making memories, my goal is to do at least one fun seasonal activity a month. We just made gingerbread cookies together for the first time and had a blast! 

• Like 1

@LauraClark @Lovinglife123 me too😃   

this is a 4yr old

Math with confidence K Not this. We're doing

Rightstart A at her pace perhaps with extra games . I have used it 2.5 times already and really do like it 🙂

Foundational phonics letter mastery and maybe All About Reading 1 if she's ready to blend 3 letter words otherwise Abeka K4 readers and blend ladders

Simply Charlotte Mason Outdoor Secrets with big brother joining in this is 1x a week science

We'll dip in and out of A Year of playing skillfully as we have time

Edited by countrymum
Changed math
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

thank you for the math reminder @countrymum
I forgot I have tgtb K old math (super slow/gentle like MWC K).  I will throw that in for fun if he’s ready.  He’s enjoying “pre-preschool” this year about 2-3 times a week.. bits of various things I have bought, so he may be more ready than my others were at 4.

Edited by Lovinglife123

This is my first one who has shown any interest in numbers.... I'm happy to not get through it and save finishing it for kindergarten. She will be about 4.5 in the fall with a March birthday. She can count into the teens at least, count with 1 to 1 corospondence to about 10,  and subatize to 5 or so. I need planned out mostly....

This is my youngest of four. I've always been very relaxed about pre K and k. He just turned 4 and we've been starting Progressive Phonics. He likes the stories and little worksheets and is absorbing the letters in a two steps forward, one step back fashion, which is just fine. He loves numbers and his siblings enjoy teaching him. I may get a very easy to implement curriculum so they will teach him in a somewhat linear fashion. Otherwise I'll do MEP reception and year one over the next year or so while they continue to teach him fractions, negative numbers, and whatever jumps in their heads. He'll enjoy SOTW ancients with a few activities and a number of story books next year. I'll probably get Mystery science for him and next year's second grader. My older two loved that and went through all the mysteries a few years ago. I'm hoping they've added some. He'll do some poetry memorization, some Bible stories, and lots of play time and read alouds. He'll do church choir and tag along to cub scouts. He just now admitted that he's not really a scout, that the Puppy Scouts were just a thing he made up. He's going to be sad to have another tag-along year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xahm said:

I'll probably get Mystery science for him and next year's second grader. My older two loved that and went through all the mysteries a few years ago. I'm hoping they've added some.

Mystery Science added recently (this year or last year...)  these question videos. I want to say a new one comes out every week. They are 5 minutes long with a kind of interesting you tube video feel. The topics are random because they are just questions from kids like how things are made, why things are, what is an animal that can survive in the coldest weather...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 6:04 AM, countrymum said:

@LauraClark @Lovinglife123 me too😃   

this is a 4yr old

Math with confidence K Not this. We're doing

Rightstart A at her pace perhaps with extra games . I have used it 2.5 times already and really do like it 🙂

Foundational phonics letter mastery and maybe All About Reading 1 if she's ready to blend 3 letter words otherwise Abeka K4 readers and blend ladders

Simply Charlotte Mason Outdoor Secrets with big brother joining in this is 1x a week science

We'll dip in and out of A Year of playing skillfully as we have time

I dropped outdoor secrets. We're going to focus on A Year of Playing Skillfully.

About 2X a week RightStart A

About 3-4X a week Foundational Phonics

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This year our two youngest are newly two and four.  We will be doing MFW All Aboard the Animal Train and they each have a special Walmart workbook for fun seatwork.

We are reading aloud tons, doing park days, library days, special outings to explore the world, and MFW makes for a fun base of activities for them.  

Our four year old is learning her letters and may begin reading lessons this year...we will see😁.  Second semester I may add Rod and Staff workbooks for her as well.

Hope everyone is enjoying their little ones!

Brenda

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

@homemommy83 Are you liking MFW Animal Train? I am thinking about it for a 3 yr old next year. He's 2 now. I could write my own he is preschooler #5 but I've got other fish to fry;) I want special productive time with Mama.... I'm not in a hurry for academics. It's a bit pricey though....

On 7/30/2023 at 5:01 PM, homemommy83 said:

This year our two youngest are newly two and four.  We will be doing MFW All Aboard the Animal Train and they each have a special Walmart workbook for fun seatwork.

We are reading aloud tons, doing park days, library days, special outings to explore the world, and MFW makes for a fun base of activities for them.  

Our four year old is learning her letters and may begin reading lessons this year...we will see😁.  Second semester I may add Rod and Staff workbooks for her as well.

Hope everyone is enjoying their little ones!

Brenda