Menu

Book a Week 2022 - BW52: 2022 Year End Wrap up

Robin M

“Books are keys to wisdom's treasure;

Books are gates to lands of pleasure;

Books are paths that upward lead;

Books are friends. Come, let us read.”

― Emilie Poulsson

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, my lovelies. It's time to retire this year's walking shoes, hang up our hats, and sort through our backpacks to see what treasures we found during our reading adventures.  Come join me in the parlor, grab a hot cup of tea or coffee, a glass of wine, or some juice, and curl up by the fire, while we talk about our books.

So, how'd it go?

Are you the type of reader who likes to have a reading plan or do you like to  meander about the countryside, reading whatever comes to to hand?  Do you like to read only one book at a time or do you like to dip your fingers and toes, even your whole body into more than one story at a time?

Did you heed the call of those chunky and dusty books?

Did you read only from your TBR pile or did you seek out new stories, new thrills?

Tell us about your most entertaining read of the year?

Which story or stories stuck with you the longest?

Which characters did you fall in like or love with? Did they make you want to dive into their world and live there?

Which stories surprised you, made you reflect, laugh out loud, tear up, or irritated the heck out of you?

Which stories inspired web wonderings and lead you on rabbit trails?

Where in the world and through what time periods did your reading adventures take you?

What is the one book you think everybody should read?  Everyone's last mission, should you choose to accept it, is to read one of those books in 2023.  Let us know which one you choose.

Sandy and Amy took us on a delightful crime spree into the world of clues and conundrums, the crafty and the cagey, and the quick and clever with the grandparents of crime, to the classic children's mysteries to the golden age, and around the world and back again. Where did your adventures take you during your crime spree?  Thank you ladies!

What are your reading plans for next year?

How many books did you read? Share your stats, new to you author discoveries, favorite quotes, or covers.

We've had a long run, my lovelies, but it's time to retired my hosting shoes. Thank you to all our BAWers,  both past and present, who have shared in our reading adventures. Your friendship and sharing your reads and lives have meant the world to me. Thank you also to all those who followed our progress and hope we've inspired you to read more.   Whether you read fast or slow, dive into the classics or delve into comtemporary romance, sleuth your way through mysteries, explore translated stories or pour through non fiction, the most important thing is the reading.

“Reading is like thinking, like praying, like talking to a friend, like expressing your ideas, like listening to other people’s ideas, like listening to music, like looking at the view, like taking a walk on the beach.” – Roberto Bolaño

52 books will be morphing into a more casual reading thread thanks to Vintage81, who will be posting a monthly thread for all of us to talk about our reads.    Although 52 Book may be ending here on the forum, all the mini, annual, and perpetual challenges along with an updated 2023 bingo and bookology challenge will still be available on Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks blog if you like participating in any of the challenges.   

Cheers to a happy and healthy, enlightening and inspiring, reading new year!

Link to week 51

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini, and perpetual challenges

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Wow. It seems like this year just flew by.  My reading year was a mixture of new reads and rereads. I had a plan at the beginning of the year and was pretty good with writing some reviews until about mid year, then meandered completely off the path. 

My goal at the beginning of the year was to read and whittle down my physical stack.  I read a total of 145 books of which 42 were physical books and 10 were over 500 pages.  I finished updating goodreads but their numbers and mine don't agree and I'm not quite sure what's up with that. 
I was good and read only from my physical and virtual stacks, and stuck to my buying ban until June. Then I went off the rails, especially by the end of the year. 2023 buying ban is now officially in force.  

Category breakdown's, (Not including entire series): Fantasy (17), Books about books (14), Science Fiction (11), Romance (11), Mystery (9), historical fiction (8), Thrillers (7), and police procedurals (6).   Included in those numbers are 26 new to me authors. 

Discovered that over the past few years I'd started several series, but not at the beginning, but somewhere in the middle, and I'm not sure how that happened. I'm a series completionist so once I discovered that, I ended up reading them from start to finish.  The series included:  

Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak (20) 
Devon Monk's Ordinary Magic (6)
Drew Hayes Super Powereds (4)
Ilona Andrews Hidden Legacy (3)
Keri Arthur's Lizzie Grace (9) 
Louise Penny's Armand Gamache (18)
M.L. Buchman's Miranda Chase (11)
Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter (15)

I started the year with Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel which I adored and was not a book to speed through. The story was complex and I read it in small sips, finding there were phrases and images which stuck with me. Quotes I wanted to save of Cromwell’s wit, reactions of his family, his thoughts pebbled throughout from childhood to adulthood.  

The read that stuck with me as well was Stabenow's Kate Shugak which not only pitted the characters against the elements, but involved mysteries as well as the politics and culture of Alaska and native Alaskans. I was totally emersed for a full month. It had all the feels and ran the gamut of emotions from surprise to tears to laughter to anger. 

Another entertaining series was M.L. Buchman's Miranda Chase series which was about an autistic woman who worked for the NTSB solving airplane crashes for the military mainly. The story delved into how her autistic nature affected her working and personal relationships and how she learned to handle them.

The story and character that made me want to live in their world was The Choice, part of  Nora Robert's Dragon Heart Legacy series which was set in Ireland. I loved all the characters and the fact there was a portal to fairy right next door to her house. Oh, and the dragons, of course. LOL! 

Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay left me with a book hangover and the feeling of having read and excuse the pun, an amazing, yet exhausting adventure.

In The Bookshop at Water's End, everyone down to the children had baggage of some sort and it was an emotional story which I usually wouldn't enjoy but the writing was so well done, it pulled me into the characters lives, rooting for them all the way. 

N.K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season was a dark story, but  oh my f''ing God, it was so good. The theme of slavery was pervasive through out the story, child were hated because of their ability to control the land, and unfortunately they were abused and or killed because of it.  The story was so well written and the author very bluntly showed the reader what was happening, without getting preachy.  There were several twists and turns and of course the story didn't end. It will be continued in the Obelisk Gate, which I have on the shelves for the new year.

I loved the cast of characters in Louise Penny's Armand Gamache series with the mystery playing out in the midst of some personal crisis, how they solved the crime. After a while the descriptors attached to some of the characters got a little old but other than that, each story's killer was unique. There were enough surprises and red herrings to throw every one off.

In Faith Hunter's Final Heir, the last book in her Jane Yellowrock series, there are so many moments. Moments that made me sad, moments that were so powerful. Moments that were amusing or scary.

Elizabeth Bear's Ancestral Night sucked me in and I had a book hangover when I finished.   My mind so full from the vastness of outer space and all that happened and I had to sit with the story for a little bit as it as was a very complex story involving philosophical, cultural, political, and psychological themes.  

Drew Hayes Super Powered series was a great series and however much I'd like to compare it to Harry Potter, there really was no comparison. The characters were college age kids, each with a special super power, no wands, who learned how to use their powers amidst the angst of college and real life battles. It will be well worth reading again. 

I had so many book hangovers this year.  LOL! 

Attica Lock's Bluebird, Bluebird was a disappointment and depressing because for a law abiding Ranger, he drank too much, suffered from black outs, didn't always follow the rules or the laws, and got himself into hot water. 

One book that I think everyone should read?  So so hard to choose just one but if  have to it would be Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak's A Cold Day for Murder. If you enjoy the first one, then get ready for a ride because you'll want to read them all.  

So many good books and I know I leaving something out. One of my goals for next year is to not fade mid year and at least try to write a mini review on my blog of each read so I can remember why I enjoyed it so much.  

Will post more later! 
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Robin M said:

Wow. It seems like this year just flew by.  My reading year was a mixture of new reads and rereads. I had a plan at the beginning of the year and was pretty good with writing some reviews until about mid year, then meandered completely off the path. 

My goal at the beginning of the year was to read and whittle down my physical stack.  I read a total of 145 books of which 42 were physical books and 10 were over 500 pages.  I finished updating goodreads but their numbers and mine don't agree and I'm not quite sure what's up with that. 
I was good and read only from my physical and virtual stacks, and stuck to my buying ban until June. Then I went off the rails, especially by the end of the year. 2023 buying ban is now officially in force.  

Category breakdown's, (Not including entire series): Fantasy (17), Books about books (14), Science Fiction (11), Romance (11), Mystery (9), historical fiction (8), Thrillers (7), and police procedurals (6).   Included in those numbers are 26 new to me authors. 

Discovered that over the past few years I'd started several series, but not at the beginning, but somewhere in the middle, and I'm not sure how that happened. I'm a series completionist so once I discovered that, I ended up reading them from start to finish.  The series included:  

Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak (20) 
Devon Monk's Ordinary Magic (6)
Drew Hayes Super Powereds (4)
Ilona Andrews Hidden Legacy (3)
Keri Arthur's Lizzie Grace (9) 
Louise Penny's Armand Gamache (18)
M.L. Buchman's Miranda Chase (11)
Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter (15)

I started the year with Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel which I adored and was not a book to speed through. The story was complex and I read it in small sips, finding there were phrases and images which stuck with me. Quotes I wanted to save of Cromwell’s wit, reactions of his family, his thoughts pebbled throughout from childhood to adulthood.  

The read that stuck with me as well was Stabenow's Kate Shugak which not only pitted the characters against the elements, but involved mysteries as well as the politics and culture of Alaska and native Alaskans. I was totally emersed for a full month. It had all the feels and ran the gamut of emotions from surprise to tears to laughter to anger. 

Another entertaining series was M.L. Buchman's Miranda Chase series which was about an autistic woman who worked for the NTSB solving airplane crashes for the military mainly. The story delved into how her autistic nature affected her working and personal relationships and how she learned to handle them.

The story and character that made me want to live in their world was The Choice, part of  Nora Robert's Dragon Heart Legacy series which was set in Ireland. I loved all the characters and the fact there was a portal to fairy right next door to her house. Oh, and the dragons, of course. LOL! 

Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay left me with a book hangover and the feeling of having read and excuse the pun, an amazing, yet exhausting adventure.

In The Bookshop at Water's End, everyone down to the children had baggage of some sort and it was an emotional story which I usually wouldn't enjoy but the writing was so well done, it pulled me into the characters lives, rooting for them all the way. 

N.K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season was a dark story, but  oh my f''ing God, it was so good. The theme of slavery was pervasive through out the story, child were hated because of their ability to control the land, and unfortunately they were abused and or killed because of it.  The story was so well written and the author very bluntly showed the reader what was happening, without getting preachy.  There were several twists and turns and of course the story didn't end. It will be continued in the Obelisk Gate, which I have on the shelves for the new year.

I loved the cast of characters in Louise Penny's Armand Gamache series with the mystery playing out in the midst of some personal crisis, how they solved the crime. After a while the descriptors attached to some of the characters got a little old but other than that, each story's killer was unique. There were enough surprises and red herrings to throw every one off.

In Faith Hunter's Final Heir, the last book in her Jane Yellowrock series, there are so many moments. Moments that made me sad, moments that were so powerful. Moments that were amusing or scary.

Elizabeth Bear's Ancestral Night sucked me in and I had a book hangover when I finished.   My mind so full from the vastness of outer space and all that happened and I had to sit with the story for a little bit as it as was a very complex story involving philosophical, cultural, political, and psychological themes.  

Drew Hayes Super Powered series was a great series and however much I'd like to compare it to Harry Potter, there really was no comparison. The characters were college age kids, each with a special super power, no wands, who learned how to use their powers amidst the angst of college and real life battles. It will be well worth reading again. 

I had so many book hangovers this year.  LOL! 

Attica Lock's Bluebird, Bluebird was a disappointment and depressing because for a law abiding Ranger, he drank too much, suffered from black outs, didn't always follow the rules or the laws, and got himself into hot water. 

One book that I think everyone should read?  So so hard to choose just one but if  have to it would be Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak's A Cold Day for Murder. If you enjoy the first one, then get ready for a ride because you'll want to read them all.  

So many good books and I know I leaving something out. One of my goals for next year is to not fade mid year and at least try to write a mini review on my blog of each read so I can remember why I enjoyed it so much.  

Will post more later! 

Loved reading your overview!  You make me want to read Wolf Hall and the Alaska book (series?) !

I used to blog all my reads.  I miss it. I still own the blog.  Since I'm changing jobs to a less stressful one (teacher to public children's librarian!), maybe I'll resurrect it. 

I'll write up some year-end thoughts this week! 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

I used to blog all my reads.  I miss it. I still own the blog.  Since I'm changing jobs to a less stressful one (teacher to public children's librarian!), maybe I'll resurrect it. 

If you still own the blog, yes that would be a great idea to resurrect it. I've been blogging since 2007 and aren't as active as a I used to be when I posted   almost every day. I'm more active at the beginning of the year, than it winds down to once a week and my son also posts on it.  

• Like 5

Merry Christmas everyone! 

First of all, thank you so much to @Robin M for the BAW threads! I wish I would’ve joined in sooner, but I have thoroughly enjoyed chatting books this past year with all of you!

At the moment, I’ve read 90 books in 2022. Here’s the breakdown…

• 39 books were for our homeschool
  • 5 contemporary fiction
  • 17 contemporary romance
  • 4 dystopian/science fiction
  • 9 fantasy
  • 13 historical fiction
  • 2 mystery/thriller
  • 1 nonfiction

I read 23 books with my Kindle and 67 in either paperback/hardback. I read some off of my TBR shelves, but plenty of these books were new purchases. I also subscribe to BOTM, so I get at least one new book per month.

I don’t know if I’d consider this year a great year of reading, but it wasn’t bad either. My favorite book of the year, and also one I’d suggest others read, is The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne. The description of the book doesn’t really go into much detail, so I was surprised once the plot started to reveal itself. This book made me laugh, cry, and it made me angry too. Just all of the emotions. It will stay with me a long, long time.

My other 5 star rated books for the year were…

• Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang
  • A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
  • I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys
  • The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
  • The Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee
  • Better Than the Movies by Lynn Painter

A few honorable mentions (very high 4 star ratings):

• Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
  • Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
  • Other Birds by Sarah Addison Allen
  • Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  • Anatomy: A Love Story by Dana Schwartz

My favorite book cover is Anatomy: A Love Story by Dana Schwartz. The story is centered around a girl in the early 1800s who wants to be a surgeon, so the cover is her in a dress, but her skirt is flared out in the shape of a heart. There’s also a sequel and the cover has the skirt flared in the shape of a brain.

My most disappointing book of the year was probably The Atlas Six by Olivie Blake. This was a book the was very hyped online, but in the end it had no plot and dislikable characters. 👎👎

Some of my favorite books this year were from authors I've read before...Fredrik Backman, Ruta Sepetys, Madeline Miller, and Taylor Jenkins Reid. I love all of these authors and will continue to read their books. Some new authors that I'll definitely be checking out more of their stuff...Stacey Lee, Bonnie Garmus, and Sarah Addison Allen. I also read one book by Emily St. John Mandel (Sea of Tranquility) that I'm still not sure about, but I think I'll give some of her other work a shot. 

I don’t usually set too many goals for myself since I’m mostly a mood reader, but next year I’d like to read less contemporary romance and more fantasy/historical fiction. Every year I also tell myself I’d like to read more classics, but I usually don’t. I’m almost 70% done with Jane Eyre, so by the time I finish it next year that’ll be at least one for my list!! 🥳 My TBR shelf is also pretty full, so I should probably not buy any more books and just read my shelves. 🤭

I hope y'all are enjoying your holidays! I look forward to chatting with everyone in the new year!

LAST MINUTE UPDATE: Y’all….I did it…I finished Jane Eyre!! 🎉 I know this isn’t a huge accomplishment (like reading War and Peace or something like that 🤣), but for me this was such a huge slog, so I’m proud of myself for finishing it. ☺️ I can’t say I loved it (mostly because I really didn’t care for Mr. Rochester), but I appreciated it and I’m glad to have read it. (3 stars)

I also read Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. This was a strange book that I won’t go into much detail about. You kind of just need to read it. I think there’s supposed to be lots of symbolism in it, but I think each person could probably interpret it differently. I don’t think I read this book at the right time because it wasn’t super enjoyable to me, but I also don’t really think it’s a bad book either. (3 stars)

This brings my 2022 total to 92! 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Most of the books I read come from suggestions I get daily from some emails like Book Bub.  Other ones come from threads like this one.

I just finished Attic Child.  It was a long audio book, about 14 hours.  The first hour or so was a bit slow but then drew me in.  So many layers.  Story of a young boy from the Congo taken to England in the early 1900s

• Like 6

Thank you, @Robin M, for hosting this thread over the years!

I don't track my reading, but I'm guessing I read 175 books or so this year.

I read a good number of romances, but I feel that I’ve been reading more books that might be considered space opera, science fiction, fantasy, or some hodgepodge thereof. I read young adult books occasionally but tend to favor books marketed for adults. I am not a fan of horror or westerns or inspirational, but I am likely to try most subgenres of romance. I abandon books frequently and without guilt. I often reread old favorites.

I have read many, many books that I enjoyed this year, but none leap to mind as favorites that I am apt to reread and reread. I don’t know whether I’ve become more selective with age or whether I’ve already read so many good books that it’s harder to find something to match or surpass an old favorite.

What one book would I recommend? I'd suggest one of my old favorites such as Linesman by SK Dunstall or The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Acorn said:

Thank you all for sharing your books and love of reading here. May 2023 be peaceful and full of new literary adventures.

My favorite read this year:

Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver

This was one of my most memorable reads of 2022, also!  It also started me on a journey of reading books about addiction (and noticing it in books I didn't read for that reason). 

• Like 4

I have finished a few in the past 24 hours.  We really did have a peaceful Christmas Day.

The first was a new Elly Griffiths that I sort of slogged thru for several days because I was pretty sure the end would be worth it……it was.  It was set around a grammar school high school reunion where most of the cool crowd managed to become famous and now are dying by Murder. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60980164-bleeding-heart-yard

Royal Valentine by Jenn McKinley was actually a novella written to start a new series.   I had no clue this series existed and I grabbed it because Jenn McKinley writes a favorite cozy series.  This one was fun….and as believable as a normal person meeting a titled Brit and marrying them can be. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59960488-royal-valentine

This one was finished by virtue of my finding it hard to put down.  Buried in a Good Book is the first in a new cozy series that I checked out of the library and have been skipping over in the virtual stack……it needed to be tried before it was whisked away by overdrive.  Well, it was a good, clean cozy that I found rather humorous.  A best selling mystery author lands herself in the middle of a real life mystery when she inherits her grandfather’s cabin and decides to spend the summer there. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58758641-buried-in-a-good-book

• Like 3

I received promotional email from Barnes and Noble today, stating that all hardbacks are 50% for two days only (Dec 26 & 27). I couldn't find anything on their website but my daughter and I went into the store and indeed, all hardbacks were 50% off!

So if you're near a B&N tomorrow (or tonight, you west coasters) check it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you,  @Robin M

As others have said, I've enjoyed this thread over the years, and appreciate your work keeping it going. I'll try to remember to pop in over at your blog in the future.

Reviewing my year, the book most likely to stick with me from this year is the one I just read, "The Forever Witness." The most fun book I read was probably "The Route 66 Adventure Handbook," made more fun by getting to head out and see what he was talking about. I enjoyed finding two new series in the Hamish books and the Chet and Bernie books.

My reading goals for the new year relate to my hope to return to genealogy as a semi-career, so I have a long list of "professional development" books to track down. DNA genealogy wasn't a thing when I was last researching for others. 

For fun, I do have a copy of the 5th Asperger's Mystery, "The Question of the Dead Mistress" by E.J. Copperman waiting until I get through my  stack of almost-due library books. It's the only one I haven't read yet. I hope the author continues the series.

69. "The Forever Witness: How DNA and Genealogy Solved a Cold Case Double Murder" by Edward Humes. Fascinating, and a very readable writing style. I read it all in one long all-day-can't-put-it-down sitting.
68. "Un-Jobbing: The Adult Liberation Handbook" by Michael Fogler. Short book, sort of a cross between "Teenage Liberation Handbook" and "Your Money or Your Life." Mindful, frugal living.
67. "Finding Your Roots" by Henry Louis Gates. Based on the first season or so of his show.

66. "Genealogy Standards" by the Board for Certification of Genealogists. 
65. "The Lost Family: How DNA Testing Is Upending Who We Are" by Libby Copeland. 
64. "Amazon FBA Mastery Coaching" by Jonathan Fitzpatrick. 
63. "Route 66 Adventure Handbook" by Drew Knowles. 
62. "From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death" by Caitlyn Daugherty. (Audible) 
61. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by JK Rowling. (Audible) 
60. "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" by JK Rowling. (Audible)
59. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" by JK Rowling. (Audible)
58. "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" by JK Rowling. (Audible)
57. "Harry Potter and the Prisoners of Azkaban" by JK Rowling. (Audible)
56. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by JK Rowling. (Audible)
55. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by JK Rowling. (Audible)
54. "The Best Hits on Routh 66: 100 Essential Stops on the Mother Road" by Amy Bizzarri.
53. "Travel Route 66: A Guide to the History, Sights, and Destinations Along the Main Street of America" by Jim Hinckley.
52. "Saints at War in the Philippines: Latter-day Saints in WWII Prison Camps" by Michael H. Hyer.
51. "Rescuing Socrates: How the Great Books Changed My Life and Why They Matter For a New Generation" by Roosevelt Montas.
50. "The House of Unexpected Sisters" by Alexander McCall Smith.
49. "Paw and Order" by Spencer Quinn.
48. "The Sound and the Furry" by Spencer Quinn. (Overdrive)
47. "A Fistful of Collars" by Spencer Quinn.
46. "Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
45. "Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
44. "Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
43. "Death of a Dentist" by M.C. Beacon. (Overdrive)
42. "Death of a Macho Man" by M.C. Beacon. (Overdrive)
41. "Death of a Nag" by M.C. Beacon. (Overdrive)
40. "Death of a Charming Man" by M.C. Beacon. (Overdrive)

39. "Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
38. "Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
37. "Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
36. "Agatha's First Case" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
35. "A Highland Christmas" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
34. "Death of a Village" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
33. "Death of a Dustman" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
32. "Death of a Celebrity" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
31. "Death of a Poison Pen" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
30. "Death of a Traveling Man" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
29. "Death of a Greedy Woman" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
28. "Death of a Prankster" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
27. "Death of a Snob" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
26. "Death of a Hussy" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
25. "Death of a Perfect Wife" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
24. "Death of an Outsider" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
23.  "Death of a Cad" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
22. "The Road Home" by Richard Paul Evans.
21. "The Forgotten Road" by Richard Paul Evans.
20. "The Broken Road" by Richard Paul Evans.
19. "The Dog Who Knew Too Much" by Spencer Quinn.
18. "To Fetch a Thief" by Spencer Quinn.
17. "Paper Towns" by John Green.
16. "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming" by Christopher C. Horner.
15. "Death of a Gossip" by M.C. Beacon. (Audible)
14. "Unnatural Death" by Dorothy L. Sayers. (Audible)
13. "Clouds of Witness" by Dorothy L. Sayers. (Audible)

12. "Woke Racism: How a New Religion Has Betrayed Black America" by John McWhorter. 
11. "Thereby Hangs a Tail" by Spencer Quinn.
10. "Whose Body?" by Dorothy L. Sayers. (Audible)
9. "Hallowe'en Party" by Agatha Christie. (Audible)
8. "Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? by Caitlin Doughty. (Audible)
7. "Dog On It" by Spencer Quinn. 
6. "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. (Audible)
5. "The Abolition of Man" by C.S. Lewis. (Audible)
4. "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. (Audible)
3.  "The Thirty-Nine Steps" by John Buchan. (Audible)
2. "A Grief Observed" by C.S. Lewis. (Audible)
1. "Unsettled" by Steven E. Koonin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are the Kate Quinn books related in any way? I have a couple of her titles on my TBR list and it just occurred to me to ask if there are any that should be read before others. 

I did not reach 52 this year so I’ll report a sort of Top 5. Looking at my list I realize my reading fell into topics. So, these are my Top 5 reads with some titles grouped into a topic. Not in order preference, I read about 40 books this year and these were the standouts. 

#1 - WW2 Era

All the Light We Cannot See (Anthony Doerr)

When the Emperor Was Divine (Julie Otsuka)

The Nightingale (Kristin Hannah)

Maus, 1 & 2  (Art Spiegelman)

#2 - American Social Issues

White Too Long (Robert P Jones)

Last Summer on State Street (Toya Wolfe)

#3 - Coincidentally, Mormon Culture

Under the Banner of Heaven (Jon Krakauer)

Educated (Tara Westover)

#4 - Popular Fiction

The Seven Husbands of Eleanor Hugo (Taylor Jenkins Reid)

Firefly Lane (Kristin Hannah)

Iona Iverson’s Rules for Commuting (Clare Pooley)

Lessons in Chemistry (Bonnie Garmus)

The Four Winds (Kristin Hannah)

#5 - Nonfiction Health/Inspirational 

The Body Keeps the Score (Bessel Van Der Kolk)

Undistracted (Bob Goff)

Why We Sleep (Matthew Walker)

The Artist’s Way (Julia Cameron)

Wintering (Katherine May)

I feel like a category 6 would be wider reading such as these forums (and the numerous linked articles), The Atlantic, church and faith-based materials, and my Twitter feed (which is quite the roller coaster these days!).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

Are the Kate Quinn books related in any way? I have a couple of her titles on my TBR list and it just occurred to me to ask if there are any that should be read before others. 

Some are.   Here is a list from Goodreads showing the connected ones. https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=Kate+quinn&qid=v3QehTY1J9

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2022 Summary……..

Many thanks to Robin for hosting Book a Week and keeping me organized!

I’ve been busy going thru my stats on Goodreads and they are very similar to last years except this year I actually managed to read a book a day after backing out short stories and novellas.  That said I read a lot of contemporary romance books, at least 52.  So many of my books were quick reads for me.  I also listened to 118 Audiobooks which were a third total books read.

Challenge wise I completed two 22 book long bookchains.  I find bookchains entertaining and have no idea why!  I did A to Z and back, A to Z by both author/title, and finally I did all my spelling challenges.  My 10’s were all based on the crime spree.  I completed most…..totally failed Christie.

I loved the Crime Spree!  I gave myself permission to bury myself in some of my favorite genres.  I read 216 crime spree books.   I started with the early short stories and went through many golden age mysteries from the US, UK, and even a couple from other places.  I apparently really like police procedurals as I read 69 books that I shelved in that category.  I read a lot of romatic suspense….

The only none crime spree favorite book was The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi

So now for my favorite books from the Crime Spree…….

The Dead Letter by Seely Register written in 1866

The Wintringham Mystery by Anthony Berkeley written in 1927

The Secret of High Eldersham by Miles Burton written in 1930

Mystery in the Channel by Freeman Wills Crofts written in 1931

The Rat Began to Gnaw the Rope by CW Grafton written in 1943

The Better to Eat You  by Charlotte Armstrong written in 1954

The Detective Clare Mackay Series by Marion Todd – See Them Run #1

The Rockton Series by Kelley Armstrong

Atticus Priest series by Mark Dawson – The House in the Woods #1

Books by Rebecca Zanetti – I read several and liked them all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's the pictorial version of my year-in-review. Off the top of my head, I'd say my most memorable reads of the year were Wolf Hollow, Everything Sad Is Untrue, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Demon Copperhead, Forward Me Back to You, Out of the Easy, Our Missing Hearts, and Small Things Like These. I don't finish books if I'm not enjoying them or invested somehow, so generally there isn't a "bad" book in the bunch.  Several of these were re-reads, either as read-alouds with my 9 yo or with my high school English classes.   

92D9C6AA-C3F4-4584-98A0-7D29C8055BF4.png

3CF5FF8C-9059-46CC-8C44-732F5F04DDDD.png

50B732A4-7ECE-4DD1-A2C6-E9CA440906B4.png

Edited by Kidlit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My year end summary -

From The StoryGraph

59 books, 17, 102 pages,

14 Fantasy

9 Mystery

9 Memoir

5 Psychology

Most books read in a month: 7 (April and June)

Fewest books read in a month: 3 (July, August, November)

Average rating: 3.82

Most pages read in a month: 2090 (April)

From Goodreads:

Shortest book - What Kind of Woman by Kate Baer (94 pages)

Longest book - To Sleep in A Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini (880 pages)

Most shelved book - The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

Least Shelved book - The Art of Coaching High School Tennis by Bill Patton

Highest Rated on Goodreads - Free Lunch by Rex Ogle (Loved this book)

--

Thank you so much, @Robin M, for hosting these threads. I wasn't a steady online participant but lurked and read replies regularly. I remember how intimidated I was to join but am happy I took the plunge. I have read many good/great books based on recommendations here. My TBR pile is out of control. I learned about Book Bingo, Goodreads, TheStoryGraph, Haruki Murakami, and so many other things. It has been a wonderful journey reading along with you. 

It is not over, however, as I have been to your blog and will be following along from there.  I used your Book Bingo this year and created the spread in my BuJo.

I'm tipping my cup of chai to you, Robin, and wishing you nothing but goodwill for 2023.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2022 at 1:23 PM, Vintage81 said:

I don’t know if I’d consider this year a great year of reading, but it wasn’t bad either. My favorite book of the year, and also one I’d suggest others read, is The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne. The description of the book doesn’t really go into much detail, so I was surprised once the plot started to reveal itself. This book made me laugh, cry, and it made me angry too. Just all of the emotions. It will stay with me a long, long time.

John Boyne also wrote The Boy in the Invisible Pajamas which was set in a WWII concentration camp and was about the relationship between one of the internees and the commandant's son.  Liked his written but had forgotten about him.  So had to investigate Heart's Invisible Furies and immediately bought it.  Enjoyed your summary of the year and glad you liked Lessons in Chemistry and Other Birds as they are in my stacks.  I'll be working through my TBR stack in the new year, at least until mid year, when the urge for more books no doubt will become too hard to ignore.   LOL! My buying ban goes into affect at midnight, so thank you for reminding me of Boyne.  And a huge thank for offering to continue a reading thread in 2023.  I'm looking forward to sitting back and participating in the new year! 

• Like 4

On 12/25/2022 at 8:54 PM, Kareni said:

Thank you, @Robin M, for hosting this thread over the years!

And Thank you for all the wonderful links over the years, contributing to my teetering tbr stacks.  😊

On 12/26/2022 at 6:59 PM, Maus said:

My reading goals for the new year relate to my hope to return to genealogy as a semi-career, so I have a long list of "professional development" books to track down. DNA genealogy wasn't a thing when I was last researching for others. 

Congratulations and sounds like fun.  

On 12/28/2022 at 8:11 PM, Kidlit said:

I finished another audiobook--Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi. I enjoyed this time travel book (though certainly a different sort of time travel book!) 

I have this one in my stacks. Glad you enjoyed it. 

On 12/29/2022 at 8:20 AM, Grace Hopper said:

I feel like a category 6 would be wider reading such as these forums (and the numerous linked articles), The Atlantic, church and faith-based materials, and my Twitter feed (which is quite the roller coaster these days!).

That is an idea.  Kristin Hannah is one of my favorite authors and loved The Nightingale. It was haunting and beautiful and left me misty eyed.  The Artist Way is excellent and lead to many discoveries. Can't miss with that one. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Many thanks to Robin for hosting Book a Week and keeping me organized!

I’ve been busy going thru my stats on Goodreads and they are very similar to last years except this year I actually managed to read a book a day after backing out short stories and novellas.  That said I read a lot of contemporary romance books, at least 52.  So many of my books were quick reads for me.  I also listened to 118 Audiobooks which were a third total books read.

Challenge wise I completed two 22 book long bookchains.  I find bookchains entertaining and have no idea why!  I did A to Z and back, A to Z by both author/title, and finally I did all my spelling challenges.  My 10’s were all based on the crime spree.  I completed most…..totally failed Christie.

I loved the Crime Spree!  I gave myself permission to bury myself in some of my favorite genres.  I read 216 crime spree books.   I started with the early short stories and went through many golden age mysteries from the US, UK, and even a couple from other places.  I apparently really like police procedurals as I read 69 books that I shelved in that category.  I read a lot of romatic suspense….

You were an inspiration with the book chains and as I added books to my stacks this year, could see where they could link. So may give the book chain a go in 2023.  Thank you ever so much for taking us on a Crime Spree. You and Amy put in a lot of work and it showed.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kidlit said:

Here's the pictorial version of my year-in-review. Off the top of my head, I'd say my most memorable reads of the year were Wolf Hollow, Everything Sad Is Untrue, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Demon Copperhead, Forward Me Back to You, Out of the Easy, Our Missing Hearts, and Small Things Like These. I don't finish books if I'm not enjoying them or invested somehow, so generally there isn't a "bad" book in the bunch.  

Love the pictorial version!  Every one seems to love Demon Copperhead and since the folks, including you have enjoyed it, I added it to my virtual stacks.   I have a couple more Barbara Kingsolver books in my stacks that I need to read.  One of her books I really loved and provoked much thought was The Poisonwood Bible. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it. 

14 hours ago, Kareni said:

Currently free for US Kindle readers ~

Baking Bad - a Cozy Mystery (with Dragons): Tea, dragons, and murder...by Kim M. Watt

Yes, this is a must read because it humorous and sweet as well as mysterious. And there are dragons. 

3 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

From Goodreads:

Shortest book - What Kind of Woman by Kate Baer (94 pages)

Longest book - To Sleep in A Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini (880 pages)

Most shelved book - The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

Least Shelved book - The Art of Coaching High School Tennis by Bill Patton

Highest Rated on Goodreads - Free Lunch by Rex Ogle (Loved this book)

--

Thank you so much, @Robin M, for hosting these threads. I wasn't a steady online participant but lurked and read replies regularly. I remember how intimidated I was to join but am happy I took the plunge. I have read many good/great books based on recommendations here. My TBR pile is out of control. I learned about Book Bingo, Goodreads, TheStoryGraph, Haruki Murakami, and so many other things. It has been a wonderful journey reading along with you. 

It is not over, however, as I have been to your blog and will be following along from there.  I used your Book Bingo this year and created the spread in my BuJo.

I'm tipping my cup of chai to you, Robin, and wishing you nothing but goodwill for 2023.

Thank you! And well done.  I totally enjoyed To Sleep in the Sea of Stars. The story,  the world building, the characters and the relationships building among all of the characters. I had the biggest book hangover after finishing it.  The Midnight Library was so so good and gave much to think about. I thought it was going to be depressing, but ended more philosophical. 

• Like 3

@Robin M- I agree about The Midnight Library. I have a lot of regret about some of my life choices and have often wondered what life would have been like if I had turned left instead of right. TML made me think about if my current book is thin or thick, if I'm making the most of what I have, etc. So good. I honestly didn't expect it to be so philosophical. I leave that to Brene Brown and Susan Caine.

• Like 4

Happy New Year's Eve, fellow book lovers!

I probably won't have time to jump back in and write a round up of my year's reading, today. But I've read more this year than any other, since childhood. Well over 200 books. And that's because I discovered the joy of audiobooks, which I listen to avidly now at double speed, so I zip through books a lot faster now than I can read them in print.

Robin, thank you again for your dedication to this thread for so many years!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1