Menu

Are we talking about this impending cold weather?

KungFuPanda

It’s too soon to call exact conditions but things are about to get seriously arctic across a lot of North America. I think I’m gonna get my milk today to avoid any panic. We might dodge a lot of the snow here in the mid Atlantic, but some of you are gonna get dumped on. Is everyone ready for this? I’m a bit of a wimp with cold weather so I’m bracing myself. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty normal for here.  I hate the cold and snow, but the kids will love the snow.  I am so glad the kids got their Nutcracker shows done last weekend and we don't have to worry about anything.  We shopped yesterday and will probably pick up more food tomorrow.  

It sure is going to look and feel like Christmas.

• Like 2

It's going to be crazy.  I did a large grocery order for today. Our Temps won't be anywhere as near as low as most of the country but for here it is.causing panic for sure.  It's usually like 40 and sunny they cancel recess for anything under freezing partially because kids don't have the gear and it will be 11 on Thursday.  

Plus 4+ more inches of snow which is a lot for here.  

Edited by rebcoola

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I was hoping for a blizzard Thursday but it appears we’re going to get over an inch of rain and 50 degrees and then drop into the 20s or lower mid day Friday.

That’s going to be a mess.

Ditto. And of course my oldest thinks that’s a great afternoon/ evening  to drive north through the Adirondacks. Ugh.

Hoping our power stays on with the predicted wind too.

• Sad 1

We are supposed to travel the day after peak snow predictions. It should be fine, unless you listen to the weather reports in which case we are going to spend the rest of our lives sitting in an airport or stranded on the highway. There isn't really anything we can do except wait and see what the reality is, but I'm in close proximity to a couple catastrophizers, which raises my stress level.

• Like 1

We are getting hit with bad blizzard conditions. The entire route from Kalamazoo home is going to experience massive white outs with whole areas at zero visibility, and frostbite warnings of 15 minutes for exposed skin which makes it dangerous to be out walking if stranded. On top of that, Kzoo may get rain before the blizzard that will freeze on. The words local authorities are using are, "Treacherous", " Hazardous", Stay home". So with sadness but determination to keep everyone safe and hunkered down, we have candles our Jul celebtations, and are moving them to New Years weekend. We have also been pulling together a list of items for our apartment dwellers to purchase so they have what they need if power goes out because that is predicted as well. They all have electric heat, and some of the predictions are for anywhere from a few hours to a few days without power when the wind chill is -13F and the winds 30-60 mph.

I have the mothers preparing to be snowed in without us because the county road commission says it has no funding to pay holiday pay and overtime to plow Saturday and Sunday, and we are getting 8-9" Friday. We live on side roads so it is going to be a while before we can get out. Plows will only run for ambulance service...ambulance following a plow to wherever. Nothing else.

Sigh.

I took the day off from quilting and baking, and am just being fairly lazy and watching movies, petting the dog, and doing some laundry. Our Christmas Eve, likely at home alone or just with my mom if we can get a vehicle to her house two blocks away (she can't walk in 8" of snow, and when it is bitter cold, she shouldn't do it at all) is spinach artichoke dip and chips, buffalo wings, and cookies. Yummy, but not complicated or time consuming.

• Sad 4

I’m dreading it for so many reasons.  Number 1 being that I hate cold weather.  Also, we now have to go to my mil’s a day early to avoid the black ice Friday. The kids won’t be able to play outside like they normally do because we don’t have clothes for super cold weather.  I’m just praying that Nashville doesn’t have road issues on Saturday so we can get home easily.

• Like 1

Yeah, we got groceries early.  We are starting on Thursday with high 30's and then up to 50, when it is raining and then down to 9 when it is then snow.  And since I think we won't be above freezing until Tuesday or maybe late Monday, we needed food.  

Now my brother is supposedly flying into Nashville on Saturday and driving down.  Uggh- don't know how that will gol.

• Like 2

I am not ready. Right now it looks like it’s going to feel like -30 for us on Friday. 🥶 I did get groceries yesterday and picked up water bottles and extra peanut butter. I also picked up some hand and foot warmers because the place we’re renting doesn’t have a fireplace. Here, they keep talking about how bad the wind is going to be and to prepare for power outages. We’ll definitely get snow but no one seems certain yet just how much. 

Edited by Joker2
  • Like 1

Well.....we got 12 inches and still counting today and there was NOT snow in the forecast.  We can handle it.  It is normal for us this time of year.  But usually we know we are getting it.  Dd was winter camping last night and is still trying to dig her car out.  Lol!  We are supposed to get 36+ inches Thursday-Friday.  No special prep but aside from the pain of moving it all, I am happy we will have a white(r) Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

No no no. I’m freaking out on several accounts.

#1 I don’t want to miss Christmas Eve at my mom’s, but the possible ice on our mountain road is not good. Actually just hoping dh makes it home from work on Friday.

#2 We still haven’t had the money to fix our heatpump, so we are keeping warm with space heaters. It’s going to be 1 degree in Christmas Eve here.

#3 I’m worried our pipes will freeze since our house overall will not be too warm. I don’t want to deal with this crap on Christmas. 

and #4 DH doesn’t understand why any of the above is causing me to feel anxious!
🥶🤯😭

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Sad 18

3 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

No no no. I’m freaking out on several accounts.

#1 I don’t want to miss Christmas Eve at my mom’s, but the possible ice on our mountain road is not good. Actually just hoping dh makes it home from work on Friday.

#2 We still haven’t had the money to fix our heatpump, so we are keeping warm with space heaters. It’s going to be 1 degree in Christmas Eve here.

#3 I’m worried our pipes will freeze since our house overall will not be too warm. I don’t want to deal with this crap on Christmas. 
🥶🤯😭

One really cold long snap our city had everyone keep their faucets on a trickle so the pipes didn't freeze.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We supposed to get some snow and - temps (-40 F wind chill  is not normal around here). The snow is normal, the negative temps are what concern me. I'm done and pretty much in until Sunday. SO has to work Thursday, I wouldn't be surprised if just have everyone work remotely that day. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

I’m dreading it for so many reasons.  Number 1 being that I hate cold weather.  Also, we now have to go to my mil’s a day early to avoid the black ice Friday. The kids won’t be able to play outside like they normally do because we don’t have clothes for super cold weather.  I’m just praying that Nashville doesn’t have road issues on Saturday so we can get home easily.

I’ll pray with you! No ice in Nashville!

• Like 3

We're in Houston, but even we are not immune. I'm not excited - I think any of the Texas folks are in "will the grid hold this time???" mode, after 2021's fiasco. 

We're prepped and ready, just in case. If power holds, we'll be fine (well, we had to cut back our banana tree - save the tree, lose the bananas that were growing....). DH is wrapping the necessary plants tonight, pipes are easy for us. I know most of the rest of the country has it worse/more dangerous than us (even the Texas Panhandle area, etc.) but dropping from a high of 71 on Thursday, to a low of 19 (or even 16, some are saying) on Friday morning is going to be....interesting. Wind gusts of 40 mph, so wind chill in the single digits. 

But - no winter precipitation, snow, ice, sleet, etc. to make it dangerous. Thoughts go out to those who'll face all of that. Hoping everyone remains safe and warm. 

• Sad 6

It wouldn't be so bad except DS is scheduled to unload truck at 6 a.m. Thursday & Friday 20 minutes away.  He's a horrible (truly) driver in bad weather and there is 0% chance he'll stay out of the ditch which means DH will drive him. 😕

They're forecasting 4-8" which isn't bad but up to 50mph winds which will cause white out conditions with as low as -40 windchills.  We've been advised there will be travel bans so if you must travel, take blankets because you won't get towed.  Oh hooray.

We'll bring in our two adult barn cats and I am so glad we don't have cats or goats right now.  My DH and kids get trophies as they are currently installing the underground dog fence on the last possible day of the year it will happen again until thaw. -2 windchill today will be balmy comparably.

• Like 5

My family is vacationing in the Dominican Republic right now! We are staying at an all-inclusive resort in Cap Cana. This is a first for my little family and we have been looking forward to this trip for ages. Of course, we fly back to Ohio on Friday (layover in Baltimore) and then have a 2.5 hour drive to WV. We are aware that we may not make it home for Christmas, but what a bummer that the weather is turning bad during our trip home!!!

Also, it is crazy to be in such a beautiful place, in the pool and drinking a daiquiris, while hearing Christmas music. So strange!!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

My family is vacationing in the Dominican Republic right now! We are staying at an all-inclusive resort in Cap Cana. This is a first for my little family and we have been looking forward to this trip for ages. Of course, we fly back to Ohio on Friday (layover in Baltimore) and then have a 2.5 hour drive to WV. We are aware that we may not make it home for Christmas, but what a bummer that the weather is turning bad during our trip home!!!

Also, it is crazy to be in such a beautiful place, in the pool and drinking a daiquiris, while hearing Christmas music. So strange!!!

Can you stay longer?? I heard something on the news this morning about airlines waiving the change fee.   Not sure if it is all airlines or certain airports.  I would extend a few days.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Oh man! Enjoy it while you can I guess. 

• Like 1

We're supposed to get a ton of rain on Thursday but it's supposed to move out before the wind picks up and the temps drop on Friday. Looks like our low Saturday morning (according to Apple weather) is supposed to be 9. Single digits aren't super uncommon here, but still definitely cold for us. I hope the power stays on. Lots of rain on Thursday + wind on Friday is worrisome for trees coming down. I did a big grocery run yesterday, and we have all the necessary stuff for a power outage (generator, camp stove, etc.) but nobody ever wants to be w/o power, and especially not at Christmas.

• Like 1

LOL, youngest just got home from work, and the boss gave everyone big, spiral sliced hams for an added Christmas gift since they had to cancel the company Christmas party due to the impending storm. He and his brother - our guys are roommates - have no freezer space for it because management handed out 15 lb turkeys at Thanksgiving and they not only were coming home for the holiday, they have no roasting pan.

Their budget for buying a nice roasting pan is apparently none existent at the moment because they blew their wad spoiling the grandmas and nephews for Christmas. So I told them to go get an aluminum foil roasting pan, and gave instructions on cooking the ham. Guess they will have ham sandwiches tomorrow, and grilled ham and cheese for supper, and ham and eggs Thursday, and....

It is nice idea. I am glad he works for a family oriented business that does nice things for their employees. (Profit sharing every year as well) But for two bachelors and no chest freezer, it is too much in four weeks. They called area food pantries thinking they could donate the turkey, but none of them have freezers, just a few industrial refrigerators for dairy products.

Roasting pan goes on my list of items to buy for them.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

LOL, youngest just got home from work, and the boss gave everyone big, spiral sliced hams for an added Christmas gift since they had to cancel the company Christmas party due to the impending storm. He and his brother - our guys are roommates - have no freezer space for it because management handed out 15 lb turkeys at Thanksgiving and they not only were coming home for the holiday, they have no roasting pan.

Their budget for buying a nice roasting pan is apparently none existent at the moment because they blew their wad spoiling the grandmas and nephews for Christmas. So I told them to go get an aluminum foil roasting pan, and gave instructions on cooking the ham. Guess they will have ham sandwiches tomorrow, and grilled ham and cheese for supper, and ham and eggs Thursday, and....

It is nice idea. I am glad he works for a family oriented business that does nice things for their employees. (Profit sharing every year as well) But for two bachelors and no chest freezer, it is too much in four weeks. They called area food pantries thinking they could donate the turkey, but none of them have freezers, just a few industrial refrigerators for dairy products.

We do our ham in the crockpot.  Do they have one?

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Is it not already cooked? I don't think I've ever seen a spiral ham that wasn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We do our ham in the crockpot.  Do they have one?

No crockpot. I told him if he doesn't buy an aluminum pan, they can cut all the meat off the bone, put it in baggies, and then pop what they can back into the freezer around the turkey, and just put what they want to eat wrapped in aluminum foil on the pizza pan and pop it in the oven.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Is it not already cooked? I don't think I've ever seen a spiral ham that wasn't.

It is, they just like to bake it until it is really hot all the way through. They aren't big cold ham eaters. And we are assuming it is a spiral slice because when we asked what kind it was, the response we received was, "The kind in a purple wrapper". 😂😂😂

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I am so sorry. Ugh. I am trying to he very unemotional about canceling our Jul festivities, but deep down, I was just deeply looking forward to them so this is hitting me a bit hard.

Thanks, it's fine. We have camped in -5F before, but we don't need to prove anything to anyone

But I'm sorry you may miss the long anticipated celebration 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

We're getting poured on here in Boston and then cold (not insane cold, but cold).

Problem is that this weekend is my youngest's bar mitzvah.  Lots of elderly-ish guests and no parking near the synagogue.

Sigh.

We get to drive to the Boston airport on Friday to pick up DS; last week the prediction was for 5-8 of snow but now it’s 1-2 inches of rain and 50 degrees?! Thinking he might oughta just take the train home instead. Boston traffic is hard enough even in non-weather! 

We have a bit of snow now, but I guess we won’t for the holiday. Boo.

• Like 4

Supposed to be just rain here Thursday, but I am not taking any chances. Could be ice. Ugh. Doing the last bit of grocery shopping and a couple of quick errands early tomorrow. 

What will be super cold for here will be no big deal compared to what y’all up north will get, but could still have negative effects. I know the city and homeless shelters are taking special precautions to make sure no one is without heated shelter and hot food. 

Dh will be double checking the covers on our outdoor spigots and making sure our phone charger banks are full, etc. 

My mom has plans for me to take her to get her nails done midday Friday. Maybe, maybe not.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Can you stay longer?? I heard something on the news this morning about airlines waiving the change fee.   Not sure if it is all airlines or certain airports.  I would extend a few days.  

Oh my gosh…I wish we could! I can’t even imagine the cost to add days in over Christmas. But I guess we will see as we get closer. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Oh my gosh…I wish we could! I can’t even imagine the cost to add days in over Christmas. But I guess we will see as we get closer. 

We got stuck in Florida once when there was a blizzard back home that interfered with our return flight. The airline was easy to deal with; maybe the resort will be too and will give you a good deal. Good luck! 

• Like 5

I am so stressed about this.  We have blizzard conditions expected Fri/Saturday with widespread power outages.  We have well water so no power means no running water - no toilets.  Two of my sons are coming home tomorrow and dd is home from college.  So we'll have 5 people with no toilets if we lose power.  Ds1 and his gf are supposed to come on Saturday but we'll see what happens.  😞  

And we just got a freezer to store all the extra food with the kids coming home and stocked up on food and now we'll have to worry about all that food spoiling.  I expect it will be a long time before the power comes back on once it's out with so many people affected by this storm. 

And it will be bitter cold.  

I am an absolute mess - I hate all the uncertainty.  

• Sad 7

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I am so stressed about this.  We have blizzard conditions expected Fri/Saturday with widespread power outages.  We have well water so no power means no running water - no toilets.  Two of my sons are coming home tomorrow and dd is home from college.  So we'll have 5 people with no toilets if we lose power.  Ds1 and his gf are supposed to come on Saturday but we'll see what happens.  😞  

And we just got a freezer to store all the extra food with the kids coming home and stocked up on food and now we'll have to worry about all that food spoiling.  I expect it will be a long time before the power comes back on once it's out with so many people affected by this storm. 

If the power goes, just stick the food outside.  It will be cold enough to keep it frozen.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

if the power goes out put the food outside in the cold

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Just realized it will be - 30 with wind chill and DH will be working nights. We have a diesel truck and nowhere for him to plug it in while he works Thursday night. Bets on if it starts Friday morning.  

Yikes! Diesels are such a pain in the cold. Here is to hoping it will start.

24 minutes ago, MEmama said:

We got stuck in Florida once when there was a blizzard back home that interfered with our return flight. The airline was easy to deal with; maybe the resort will be too and will give you a good deal. Good luck! 

I would ask.  Maybe they will have lots of cancellations with people not able to get there.

• Like 3

We look to have an hour or less of rain, but it’s going to get very cold here.

21 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

DH is checking the antifreeze and we're doing things like making sure the pond bubblers are working. I do hope that the neighbor takes his cats in...It's going to be way too cold for outdoor animals. 

Outdoor cats might be super anxious inside. My parents used to feed a stray who didn’t want to be inside—they put straw inside a cat carrier with the door off, and the cat would climb in when it got cold.

17 minutes ago, kbutton said:

We look to have an hour or less of rain, but it’s going to get very cold here.

Outdoor cats might be super anxious inside. My parents used to feed a stray who didn’t want to be inside—they put straw inside a cat carrier with the door off, and the cat would climb in when it got cold.

There is an outdoor one here. Totally feral and completely wary of strangers. We are using food on Friday to coax her into the shed, and have a box lined with a solid blanket and flannel and fiberfil from an old pillow under that. We think with food to keep her metabolism burning, and out of the wind that she can snuggle into that box  (which is up on a pallet so that the cold of the floor doesn't bleed through the box) sure will be okay.

• Like 4