Menu

Talk about your Word of The Year (or Phrase of The Year) here 2022

Ginevra

My phrase for 2022: hang time

When I was a teenager playing basketball, hang time was the time between motions. The space between the jump and the shot. Or whatever the targeted motion was--it didn't have to be a shot. Hang time is that moment when the timing and delivery of the shot is determined. It's only a moment, but it's essential to that perfect glide into the target. 

Ours was a mostly empty nest this year--dd is married and living in another state, and ds worked a summer internship and got engaged, so we hardly saw either child. Plenty of Zoom calls and such, but mostly the house is empty. This was the year of transition--launching ds into his marriage and his grown-up life, and also getting ready to launch US back into being just a couple. The thing is, we're not quite there yet. Both dh and I have next steps to take in our careers, but his next step has to go first. (Logistically it has to happen that way). So we're waiting but we have our eyes on a target that will bring changes. 

I didn't think we would be lingering this long, but it is what it is. 

• Like 4

On 1/2/2023 at 1:07 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

I picked indomitable.  

It’s a word I have heard a lot this year, one that was fairly obscure before, because Ukrainian President Zelenskyy keeps using it to refer to his people and their fighting spirit, so it’s of the moment usage wise now.  I admire him and them so much, and so giving the nod to them right now is a nice bonus for me.

I like it because it implies stubborn courage, stubborn rectitude, and never giving up.  But also, its roots lie in the idea of being untamable, unable to be brought to heel.  I’m going to need to demonstrate all of those this year in ways that I never have before, in engaging with my NPD family members enough to be able to take care of some of the innocent and not entirely innocent bystanders.  In parallel, I will be moving my business head quarters from my expensive vicinity into the less expensive and far healthier mountains, all while not missing a beat in business continuity.  And also in parallel, I’ll be making a much bigger commitment to my own health.  

This is all going to take some doing, but I’m up for it.  Indomitable.  

I love this.