Menu

lesson plans for Rod and Staff English 5

jabuford

I don't really have lesson plans for R&S English. I do figure out how many lessons i need to do per week in order to finish by the end of the year. Then I just sit down with my son and do the oral review that's in the teacher book for each lesson. We read the new lesson together (taking turns reading), then do some of the lesson orally. He writes at least part of the lesson on paper each day as well.

HTH,

Heather

I found this to be an open and go curriculum for me. I assigned 1 lesson per day. Once a week, I'd go over some of the oral review. My children would read the lesson and do the written part. I always grade the same day, so I would know if they didn't understand the lesson. I didn't use the extra worksheets or the tests. This and Saxon math have always been my easiest to implement curriculums.

Ally (mom to 9 and only 6 left at home)

I try to do the oral every morning with all other oral work. Otherwise dd does the lesson on her own and then grades it. (I can trust her) She brings me any lessons with more than 2 errors or if she doesn't understand something. If it is subjective, say write a paragraph then she brings it to me to grade. Thus far it has worked out well. She generally aces 98-100% the exams. FWIW, because she has a lot of written work this year I have her only do half of exercises where she has to rewrite the entire sentence or diagram. Again if there was a problem, then I would assign the other half as homework for remediation. HTH

Christine at Core Foundations has posted schedules on her blog for R & S, many grade levels. I like having the schedule, because I can see from my notations where we've been and where we're going, when I need to type up a quiz, etc. Also, she has reasonable assignment due dates. Here's the link:

http://corefoundations.wordpress.com/scheds-english-and-history/

We always do grammar orally. We read the lesson aloud, diagram or work out a few of the problems on a whiteboard, and then I give my son assignments, based on how well he grasps the concept. Sometimes I only ask for one or two sentences, sometimes I give him a worksheet and, very rarely, I'll have him do all the odds or evens.

Edited by Nicole M

Christine at Core Foundations has posted schedules on her blog for R & S

I looked at this. Did she really have the time to sit down and type all that up ?!?!?!? We don't have a schedule - just take it one day at a time. We skip anything that is review, and certainly don't do the worksheets or tests.

for ds10 we only started grammar in 4th grade with R&S English 4 - and that was really tough, he didn't have any background in grammar and struggled. this year he is finding it - to his surprise and delight - quite easy.

now I start earlier, dd8 is doing R&S3 this year, and having no problems.

Christine at Core Foundations has posted schedules on her blog for R & S, many grade levels. I like having the schedule, because I can see from my notations where we've been and where we're going, when I need to type up a quiz, etc. Also, she has reasonable assignment due dates. Here's the link:

http://corefoundations.wordpress.com/scheds-english-and-history/

Oh. Thanks!

Does anyone have this that you would care to share? We will be starting this in January. I was overwhelmed before with this curriculum and sold it and now I have it again, hoping it will help my children.

Thanks

You did not state what you felt overwhelmed about nor the ages of your kids.

I know when I started I backed WAY off. My 8th grader, at the time, started on R&S 5 after doing a couple of years of Easy Grammar, and it was difficult for him, but he got through it. (I think it was even recommended that way in TWTM.) It's one thing to start the program at the beginning with them, and another to jump in mid-way.

Just a side note, my eldest had serious issues (ego) with me giving him a grade 5 book when he was in 8th. He has since realized that his grammar ability is far and above that of his peers (think that was by the end of R& S 6).

My kids ages are 10 and 12. They are about at the same level though. I will start R & S in January. I think I was overwhelmed before because I was looking for something with less teacher involvement. But now I am hearing of people making it just that, less teacher. I want them to learn how to learn on their own. Plus I wasn't use to a text book.

Thanks

R&S grammar 5 has 119 lessons. If you scheduled the lessons 4 days a week, then you can complete this book in just under 30 weeks. I also use the chapter tests which stretches out the program by 10 days because there are 10 chapters, so we complete this program in just over 32 weeks.

I do most of the work orally with my sons. My oldest is doing R&S grammar 7, and my middle son is doing R&S grammar 6. They read the chapter. I sit with each son separately and go through all of the class and written practice orally. They do write if there is a corresponding worksheet, or if there is some diagramming work. It is a little time consuming for me, but I think that this program is very strong, and it's building a solid grammar foundation in both of my boys. They have been doing R&S grammar since 3rd grade.

HTH!

They have had grammar yearly since 1st grade. We used FLL on both of them, then we went to Growing with grammar since 3rd grade. They just don't seem to retain what they learn. With the growing with grammar my son 10 yrs. old wouldn't read the student book. He thought he was above that book or he thought he knew it already. So do you think since we haven't used Rod and Staff before we are going to be in over our heads with level 5? I think we will have to suffer through, because I already have all the materials. hahahha

So do you think since we haven't used Rod and Staff before we are going to be in over our heads with level 5? I think we will have to suffer through, because I already have all the materials. hahahha

As a previous poster had said, I would go into this book "knowing" that you will be working with them on each and every lesson. I would be very "thorough" with each lesson, to ensure that they understand. (Meaning I would do every problem, though maybe not written, but at least orally. And, I might take a couple of days per lesson, if I saw the need for a "break".)

I also believe that you will "see" when your children are ready to be independent. (You had mentioned a concern regarding that.) In fact, my children told me that they wanted to do it on their own, when they realized they had more time that way. As long as you are sure they've got it down, you can move into that fairly easily.