Menu

Book a Week 2022 - BW49: Crime Spree Recommendations

Robin M

Happy December! It's cold and rainy and we're tucked up, nice and cozy with books and family. The best place to be, whether it be physically or virtually.  Thanks to Sandy and Amy we've had a grand year, going on a crime spree.  

Let’s end the year with a feeling of festivity, joy, and a reminder that rich uncles frequently change their wills during the Holidays so be on your best behavior.

What have been your favorite categories this year? Have you discovered any new genres to love?

·  Grandparents of Crime: The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

· Romantic Suspense: 
Holiday in Death by JD Robb

· Golden Age: 
Mystery in White by F. Jefferson Farjeon or Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers

· Classic Children’s Mysteries: 
I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

· Historical Mysteries: 
The Queen’s Christmas by Karen Harper (Tudor) or Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Rayburn (Victorian)

· Religious Characters: 
The Raven in the Forgate by Ellis Peters or Twelve Drummers Drumming by CC Bennison or Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry by Harry Kemelman

· The Americans: 
And Four to Go by Rex Stout or The Finishing Stroke by Ellery Queen

· True Crime: 
The Meaning of Our Tears: the True Story of the Lawson Family Murders of Christmas Day 1929 by Trudy Smith

· Police Procedural: 
Water like a Stone by Deborah Crombie

· Around the World: 
Maigret’s Christmas by Georges Simenon or Voices by Arnaldur Indriðason

· Hanukkah: Festival of Deaths by Jane Haddam

Challenge: Give up your life of crime by recommending a favorite mystery book to a BaW friend.

Our A to Z and Back Again letter and word of the Week are D and Delight.

Link to Book Week 48

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini, and perpetual challenges.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve got my eyes are bigger than my stomach syndrome because I want to read all Sandy and Amy’s recommendations.  Think I’ll start with Water like a Stone, now in my virtual stacks and look forward to reading it this month.

Currently reading Nora Robert’s The Choice and love the characters and the storyline. Makes me want to live in Ireland and maybe by chance find a portal to the other side. 😊

Waiting on the nightstand is the newest Armand Gamache story, A World of Curiousities. I’m going to check out the first episode of Three Pines on Amazon Prime, think of it as a mystery series separated from the books,  and see how I like it. 

Tonight we watched Willow, the original 80's movie which James watched for the first time and greatly enjoyed. 

• Like 4

It's a new book week. I wonder where I'll go?

Yesterday, I gathered up all of my physical TBRs and put them back in a pile. Oh my, it is so much bigger than I thought. My nightstand is overflowing. Some of the books are from the local free little libraries =, some are library books that arrived last week, others are from DS, and still others are books I have been yearning to read (I'm looking at you Discworld tomes.). Yes, Hard Times is still in the stack.

Yesterday, as I walked with a friend, I regaled her with anecdotes from Against the Ice.  The incident I keep replaying occurred toward the end of their journey. The two were days away from the end, starving, freezing, and walking through the landscape trying to find food and solace as they faced inevitable death. The path was too narrow to walk two astride and Mikkelson kept telling Iverson to drop back and give him room. Iverson would drop back but within minutes would be walking shoulder to shoulder with Mikkelson who would tell him to drop back just to repeat the process. Finally, Mikkelson asked him why he needed to crowd the path. Iverson responded "I am in great despair and I have the rifle. Maybe you should take it." Mikkelson reflected for a moment and said "You keep it. Walk beside me."

To know that being close to your friend was what was needed to keep you alive and to have that friend acknowledge that he, too, needed your presence... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had some good finishes this week.  Nothing More to Tell https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51559209-nothing-more-to-tell was one of those private school mysteries with an inner circle, a murdered teacher and lots of secrets.  A true crime show is investigating and one of the students is secretly an intern for the show.  I really liked it!

I also read the second in a series that actually really does remind me of CS Harris.  I have noticed that is a comment being made currently about several historical mysteries.  Under a Veiled Moon is set in 1878 London but deals with Irish unrest and the question of Home Rule for Ireland.  Great stuff.  Good main character.  I wish there were more!  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/62004834-under-a-veiled-moon

For audio books I seem to be focused on fantasy/time travel type books right now.  Like Robin I read Nora Roberts newest The Choice which was a highly satisfying conclusion to a trilogy.  I also finished a book chain by reading The Paradox Hotel which centered on unusual happenings at a time travel port. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58175765-the-paradox-hotel  I am currently listening to perhaps my favorite of the three, See You Yesterday which is a recommendation of someone here.  It’s ver Groundhog Day!  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59365594-see-you-yesterday.       From GR………

Barrett Bloom is hoping college will be a fresh start after a messy high school experience. But when school begins on September 21st, everything goes wrong. She’s humiliated by the know-it-all in her physics class, she botches her interview for the college paper, and at a party that night, she accidentally sets a frat on fire. She panics and flees, and when she realizes her roommate locked her out of their dorm, she falls asleep in the common room.

The next morning, Barrett’s perplexed to find herself back in her dorm room bed, no longer smelling of ashes and crushed dreams. It’s September 21st. Again. And after a confrontation with Miles, the guy from Physics 101, she learns she’s not alone—he’s been trapped for months.

When her attempts to fix her timeline fail, she agrees to work with Miles to find a way out. Soon they’re exploring the mysterious underbelly of the university and going on wild, romantic adventures. As they start falling for each other, they face the universe’s biggest unanswered question yet: what happens to their relationship if they finally make it to tomorrow?

• Like 4

From Reddit ~

Reading a book aloud when alone

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/s31zaa/reading_a_book_aloud_when_alone/

Recommendations for first(?) fantasy book for young girl?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/ssn4s3/recommendations_for_first_fantasy_book_for_young/

In need of non-fiction reads that knocked your socks off

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/sxv3kw/in_need_of_nonfiction_reads_that_knocked_your/

History Books not like a Textbook?

https://old.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/vfiatc/history_books_not_like_a_textbook/

I’m an adult woman who’s ashamed of how little reading I’ve done in my life. Just got a library card. Give me your top 3 titles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/vrh1kt/im_an_adult_woman_whos_ashamed_of_how_little/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Since the Book a Week threads are ending soon, has anyone given thought to starting up something new? @Robin M had mentioned an idea in another post of a “what are you reading” thread. I think I could do a monthly thread like that…where everyone could share what they’re reading, any book news, and chitchat about books. What do y’all think? Is a month too long? Was somebody else already planning something? Let me know your thoughts. ☺️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Since the Book a Week threads are ending soon, has anyone given thought to starting up something new? @Robin M had mentioned an idea in another post of a “what are you reading” thread. I think I could do a monthly thread like that…where everyone could share what they’re reading, any book news, and chitchat about books. What do y’all think? Is a month too long? Was somebody else already planning something? Let me know your thoughts. ☺️

What an awesome idea! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

I love this idea! I've never been as good a planner as to be able to have an on-topic book in any given week, but I've loved the recommendations and ideas and links to bookish posts!

SO much appreciation and thanks, Robin!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I recently finished Ascendant (Songs of Chaos Book 1) by Michael R. Miller which was about a teen who saves a dragon egg which is about to be destroyed because of a flaw.  The dragon that hatches and bonds with the teen is blind. This was a fairly lengthy fantasy; while I enjoyed it, I don't plan to read on at this time.

"Holt Cook was never meant to be a dragon rider. He has always served the Order Hall of the Crag dutifully, keeping their kitchen pots clean.

Until he discovers a dark secret: dragons do not tolerate weakness among their kin, killing the young they deem flawed. Moved by pity, Holt defies the Order, rescues a doomed egg and vows to protect the blind dragon within.

But the Scourge is rising. Undead hordes roam the land, spreading the blight and leaving destruction in their wake. The dragon riders are being slaughtered and betrayal lurks in the shadows.

Holt has one chance to survive. He must cultivate the mysterious power of his dragon's magical core. A unique energy which may tip the balance in the battles to come, and prove to the world that a servant is worthy after all."

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 4

Last night I finished The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud which my distant book group will be discussing tonight. Do you ever finish a paragraph and turn the page for more only to find that you've finished the book? That was my experience with this book. I have mixed feelings about this book and look forward to the discussion.

"Nora Eldridge is a reliable, but unremarkable, friend and neighbor, always on the fringe of other people’s achievements. But the arrival of the Shahid family—dashing Skandar, a Lebanese scholar, glamorous Sirena, an Italian artist, and their son, Reza—draws her into a complex and exciting new world. Nora’s happiness pushes her beyond her boundaries, until Sirena’s careless ambition leads to a shattering betrayal."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

The third and final book in Darynda Jones Sunshine Vicram series came out called A Hard Day for a Hangover which has some laugh out loud funny moments. Enjoying the heck out of it.

“Some people greet the day with open arms. Sheriff Sunshine Vicram would rather give it a hearty shove and get back into bed, because there’s just too much going on right now. There’s a series of women going missing, and Sunny feels powerless to stop it. There’s her persistent and awesomely-rebellious daughter Auri, who’s out to singlehandedly become Del Sol’s youngest and fiercest investigator. And then there’s drama with Levi Ravinder—the guy she’s loved and lusted after for years. The guy who might just be her one and only. The guy who comes from a family of disingenuous vipers looking to oust him—and Sunshine—for good.

Like we said, the new day can take a hike.”

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Kareni said:

recently finished Ascendant (Songs of Chaos Book 1) by Michael R. Miller which was about a teen who saves a dragon egg which is about to be destroyed because of a flaw.  The dragon that hatches and bonds with the teen is blind. This was a fairly lengthy fantasy; while I enjoyed it, I don't plan to read on at this time.

Sounds really interesting and since it's free on kindle unlimited, will have to read it. Thanks!

• Like 3

On 12/4/2022 at 8:22 PM, Vintage81 said:

I would love to participate. I mostly lurk in general, but I’ve been trying to make an effort to participate a bit more. I’d love to be a part of a continuing bookish thread. Thank you for taking the initiative!

• Like 5

I am very excited to have recently purchased a British Library Crime Classics Subscription. It’s not as favorable to ship to the US, but it’s worth it to me. 

Also, I’m not sure if memes are appreciated in this thread. I hope it’s ok to just post the text:

”All I want for Christmas is you.

Just kidding. 

There better be some books under that tree.” 😂

I’ve finished Little Women.  Also read a sweet little book, The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser.  
Currently reading, The Holiday Swap by Maggie Knox  

I also purchased this bookish snow globe from Barnes & Noble.  One for me, and one each for my girls. They were thrilled.  It plays Deck the Halls and looks great on our bookshelves.

Happy Reading!

• Like 5

I'm still slowly reading "Un-F--- Your Brain."

Interesting thing in yesterday's reading.  The author talked about how Pollyannas think and that if there's "learned helplessness," why not also "learned optimism"?

Basically, research shows that Pollyannas tend to see bad things as temporary and good things as more permanent.  And when they screw up, they see it as something they did wrong, not proof that they suck.  But when they have a good result, they view it as meaning they rock.

What do you all think?  Would it be a better world if we could train minds to think that way?

• Like 3

Finished Hard Day for a Hangover and now I want to go back and reread the trilogy in order.

Picked up and read Seven Day in June by Tia Williams which was quite good. Two very flawed, dysfunctional characters meet again after 15 years. Can they make a dysfunctional relationship into  a healthy one.

“Eva Mercy is a single mom and bestselling erotica writer who is feeling pressed from all sides. Shane Hall is a reclusive, enigmatic, award-winning novelist, who, to everyone’s surprise, shows up in New York.

When Shane and Eva meet unexpectedly at a literary event, sparks fly, raising not only their buried traumas, but the eyebrows of the Black literati. What no one knows is that fifteen years earlier, teenage Eva and Shane spent one crazy, torrid week madly in love. While they may be pretending not to know each other, they can’t deny their chemistry—or the fact that they’ve been secretly writing to each other in their books through the years.

Over the next seven days, amidst a steamy Brooklyn summer, Eva and Shane reconnect—but Eva’s wary of the man who broke her heart, and wants him out of the city so her life can return to normal. Before Shane disappears though, she needs a few questions answered…”

Williams recommended One Day by David Nichols as one of the books that inspired her writing, so that one is in the stacks now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Basically, research shows that Pollyannas tend to see bad things as temporary and good things as more permanent.  And when they screw up, they see it as something they did wrong, not proof that they suck.  But when they have a good result, they view it as meaning they rock.

What do you all think?  Would it be a better world if we could train minds to think that way?

Hmm.  Interesting thought! Probably. 

To me a Paollyanna is blindly optimistic, too cheery.  I'm more of a cup half full type of person and try to see things in a positive light, rather than negatively.  Can we train our mind to think that way?  I don't know. I think some folks are hardwired to be positive or negative, and then some of it is temperament.   I remember this writer who was in a class with me and everything she said or wrote was so negative.  When I suggested she try to look at things with more positivity, when providing feedback, it almost caused her to have a breakdown. She just couldn't think that way at all.  It was an interesting conversation but I had to talk her down off a fencepost so she wouldn't quit. 

• Like 4

I’ve had a couple of interesting finishes this week.  The first was the audio for Lessons in Chenistry which @Karenirecommended. I have held off because I really thought I would be the one to dislike it and didn’t want to have to say it!  It was great except for one part where something horrible happened in the storyline.  It was obvious it had to happen.  I knew it was about to happen but……. that the horrible thing happened just as I was finishing listening for the day.  I had to make myself start again the next day.  If I hadn’t known that Kareni loved the book I might have started something new.  I’m glad I kept listening.

A read an interesting book by a new to me author that was all about something I know next to nothing about, the history of the LDS church.  A Cry from the Dust was not the best book in terms of there were some highly unrealistic leaps to make it all happen but there was enough of interest that I will probably eventually try the next in the series because the main character is a forensic artist and I like forensic mysteries.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18850687-a-cry-from-the-dust

@AroundtheCorner Welcome and enjoy your subscription to the British Crime Classics.  I didn’t know they had a monthly subscription as I have only seen them sold as collections from the website,  not new release subscriptions.  I love Golden Age mysteries!  Both the American and British authors for that time period.  I have a huge collection that I started accumulating on my kindle while planning the Crime Spree that I still need to read.  I managed to buy close to 80 books to try!  😂 Who are your favorites of the authors?  As I explore I keep changing my mind but I really enjoy J. Jefferson Farjeon and am looking forward to reading his Mystery in White for my Christmas Mystery.

• Like 3

I quite enjoyed Ocean's Echo by Everina Maxwell which is a science fiction romance. It is set in the same world as the author's first book, but it absolutely stands alone. I enjoyed that first book, but I liked this one more. (This book would be a fine read for teens as well as adults.)

"Rich socialite, inveterate flirt, and walking disaster Tennalhin Halkana can read minds. Tennal, like all neuromodified “readers,” is a security threat on his own. But when controlled, readers are a rare asset. Not only can they read minds, but they can navigate chaotic space, the maelstroms surrounding the gateway to the wider universe.

Conscripted into the military under dubious circumstances, Tennal is placed into the care of Lieutenant Surit Yeni, a duty-bound soldier, principled leader, and the son of a notorious traitor general. Whereas Tennal can read minds, Surit can influence them. Like all other neuromodified “architects,” he can impose his will onto others, and he’s under orders to control Tennal by merging their minds.

Surit accepted a suspicious promotion-track request out of desperation, but he refuses to go through with his illegal orders to sync and control an unconsenting Tennal. So they lie: They fake a sync bond and plan Tennal's escape.

Their best chance arrives with a salvage-retrieval mission into chaotic space—to the very neuromodifcation lab that Surit's traitor mother destroyed twenty years ago. And among the rubble is a treasure both terrible and unimaginably powerful, one that upends a decades-old power struggle, and begins a war.

Tennal and Surit can no longer abandon their unit or their world. The only way to avoid life under full military control is to complete the very sync they've been faking.

Can two unwilling weapons of war bring about peace?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Last night I stayed up late to finish Tic-Tac-Mistletoe

by N.R. Walkerit was an enjoyable contemporary holiday romance. (Some adult content)

"Hamish Kenneally is moving from Australia to the US for a fresh start, beginning with Christmas at his sister’s place in Idaho. When a snowstorm diverts his plane to Montana and leaves him stranded two days before Christmas, he hires a car and drives right into a blizzard.

Ren Brooks has always called Hartbridge, Montana, and his family hardware store, home. After a few failed attempts at love, he’s resigned to being single forever—after all, no guy wants to stay in his sleepy little town for long. And after his dad’s passing earlier in the year, Ren’s Christmas is looking bleak. But when a car runs off the road in front of his property, Ren pulls the driver out and takes him home to get out of the cold.

With the storm and the holidays leaving Hamish with nowhere else to go, Ren kindly offers a place to stay. Hamish is certain he’s crashed right into a Hallmark Christmas movie, despite more car delays and road closures and the prospect of not seeing his sister for Christmas. And with help from Hamish, Ren is beginning to feel a little Christmas cheer.

These two unlikely strangers have more in common than they first realise, and after two days of Christmas decorations, cookies, and non-stop conversation, it looks like Christmas might be saved after all."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I'm enamored with the Queen Consort's The Reading Room where she talks about books, books, and more books. She picks four books a season which I think is a quarter and has a readalong with background and historical videos by the author. Her choices are  rather eclectic and it was just announced on Instagram the next season will start on Jan 13th and includes Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, Mrs 'Harris Goes To Paris by Paul Gallico. The Far Pavilions by M. M. Kaye, and Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead.  Which I just happen to have in my TBR pile.  Looking forward to reading along with the Queen consort.  

• Like 3

Read The Wizard Hunters by Martha Wells (author of Murderbot series) -- unlike any previous author, I have found myself really struggling to read other of Martha Well's books solely because I loved Murderbot so very much.  I had read Emilie and the Hollow World previously, although I didn't link the two at first, and it was fun but just ok, not loved.  However when I looked up all her other books, of course I saw that -- and I think it kind of prejudiced me against previous books? Or at least made me worried that I wouldn't love them?  Anyway, I had to force myself to try one --and then I tried The Cloud Roads and stuttered on the very beginning and gave up 😞 So... I have told myself time to start through my backlog and The Wizard Hunters was on it.  Turns out it was enjoyable, not in my best loved set, but I'm at least reading the next in the series The Ships of Air (in paperback format -- didn't realize til now how long it had been since I read a mass market paperback! -- somehow without realizing it, I've gone to mostly digital and if not, then trade paperbacks)

On these lines but opposite.. a previous best loved author CJ Cherryh -- started a new series back in 1994 -- Foreigner -- that I just couldn't get into past the first few books.   30 years and 21 books in this series later I keep telling myself I should try this series again because obviously it is a series that has worked for her more than her previous ones-- and some of her books are still in my top list (although not reread nearly as often as 30 years ago) -- so I keep thinking "give it another chance!" but haven't yet managed it.

AND on a strange but related coincidence, I am re-reading Lois McMaster Bujold's "The Hallowed Hunt" and enjoying it way more than the first time I read it (although that may be also because the Penric series gives a lot of background that makes this book make more sense to me)

Have you all had an author or book where you found yourself either avoiding the series even though you loved others by the author -- or enjoyed a book way more on reread? 

• Like 3