Menu

What would you call this class on a transcript?

This might be a silly question, so please forgive me. 😆

My DD is currently in 9th grade and for English this year she’s taking Lantern English’s full-year English program. She’s taken quarterly classes with them the past few years and we decided for her first year of high school to switch to the full-year program. For several different reasons we chose to put her in the 10th grade level, but I’m not quite sure how to notate that on the transcript without it looking confusing or like a typo (10th grade English in 9th grade). I know I can provide additional information about the class in the course description, but what do you think I should call the class on the actual transcript?

If details about the class would help, let me know and I can give you more info. Thank you! 

It looks like Lantern English calls it "Level V" (for 10th grade). So their naming is very general, and doesn't actually include the grade level. That means you could go with English 9 and describe course content in the Course Description document, as@mlktwins suggests.

I looked at the course outline and the reading list. From the course outline, from the amount of literature listed, I thought it was "honors" or "advanced." However, based on the reading list, it looks like only 6 of the works are read in full, and 7 of the works are read as excerpts. That no longer sounds like "honors" or "advanced," unless your student DOES go ahead and read the entirety of, and work with, all 13 works.

Based on that, if you are really worried, another option would be to just go with a descriptive title and skip the grade level. Example: English: Literature & Composition.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 10:29 AM, Lori D. said:

It looks like Lantern English calls it "Level V" (for 10th grade). So their naming is very general, and doesn't actually include the grade level. That means you could go with English 9 and describe course content in the Course Description document, as@mlktwins suggests.

I looked at the course outline and the reading list. From the course outline, from the amount of literature listed, I thought it was "honors" or "advanced." However, based on the reading list, it looks like only 6 of the works are read in full, and 7 of the works are read as excerpts. That no longer sounds like "honors" or "advanced," unless your student DOES go ahead and read the entirety of, and work with, all 13 works.

Based on that, if you are really worried, another option would be to just go with a descriptive title and skip the grade level. Example: English: Literature & Composition.

I was mainly worried about it looking like a typo. So either of your suggestions would solve that…thank you.

I was also wondering if it was worth acknowledging that she was taking a class that was above her grade level (at least according to Lantern), but based on what you said, sounds like it’s not. 😕 She’ll not be reading the entirety of all 13 works, unfortunately. For history, I have her doing Guesthollow’s World History which is literature based, so she’s doing quite a bit of reading there too. (Her English and History books are spread throughout the year.)

Edited by Vintage81

I'll just toss in...it's not obvious how to do honors, advanced, etc from the number of books read.  Kids at our local high school read 2 books in English, while our standard homeschool classes read 7 (plus a poetry or short story collection).  By comparison, everything that we do at co-op is honors. 🙂  I'd just rename the class so that there is no grade level and then if you need to specify somewhere, list Lantern English V.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just so you know, you don't have to decide this today, tomorrow, or even next year.  Put a place for it on the transcript and write your course description.  As you go through the next few years, figure out what you want to label it!

What you decide on now, may change as you get closer to college applications :-).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

To me English 9 means it’s an English class done in 9th grade. If you think it was advanced, call it honors. If it had a strong flavor (mostly covered British lit or World lit), you can name it that. But generally I would call it English 9 and describe it in course descriptions. 

Yes.  All 4 of our years are different and I just went with English 9, 10, 11 (Honors), and 12. It is working for us so far.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

To me English 9 means it’s an English class done in 9th grade. If you think it was advanced, call it honors. If it had a strong flavor (mostly covered British lit or World lit), you can name it that. But generally I would call it English 9 and describe it in course descriptions. 

That makes sense, thank you. I’ll do some thinking on whether or not to give it the honors designation. Although, I have been reading through past threads and I’m not sure it means a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. I will be sure to provide the details of the class in the course description. ☺️

• Like 1

Do you want people to know that she is taking 10th grade English in 9th grade?  If so, that should be in the title somehow.

If you don't want them to know this, you could call it Literature and Composition I or English I, or if there is some unifying theme, label it that way (this was my preference, as I liked to have my course titles convey as much information as possible).

5 hours ago, EKS said:

Do you want people to know that she is taking 10th grade English in 9th grade?  If so, that should be in the title somehow.

Well, I thought it might've been something to acknowledge, but now I'm not so sure. I understand that it's nothing on the level of doing an AP course/DE or anything like that. This DD is my first high schooler, and I don't know anyone in our public high school to compare to, so I'm honestly not sure if what she's doing is "advanced" or not. 

If you don't want them to know this, you could call it Literature and Composition I or English I, or if there is some unifying theme, label it that way (this was my preference, as I liked to have my course titles convey as much information as possible).

There's no unifying theme to the class (like British or American lit), so at the moment I'm thinking of going with either English 9 or English I: Literature and Composition. I'm still pondering on whether or not to call it Honors. (I'm thinking this would be the least confusing way to acknowledge that she took a class above her grade level and then provide all the details in the course description.) 

Edited by Vintage81

29 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I'm still pondering on whether or not to call it Honors. (I'm thinking this would be the least confusing way to acknowledge that she took a class above her grade level and then provide all the details in the course description.) 

To be honest, there isn't really that much difference between ninth and tenth grade material, at least in a regular public school classroom.  I don't know how it is with this particular course.

If she takes an advanced course on the other end--AP, DE, or whatever--that would show that she has been advanced throughout.  Also in your course description, you will need to list the resources, and you can state there that the course was intended for tenth graders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EKS said:

To be honest, there isn't really that much difference between ninth and tenth grade material, at least in a regular public school classroom...

This was what I was thinking, which is why I wouldn't list it as "honors" or English 10.

That, and the course content just doesn't seem to have enough volume and/or rigor to justify calling it "honors".

But, that's JMO, and YMMV. 😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2