Menu

Computer for 8 year old

TABmom

My 8 year old has been asking for a computer for awhile now. He wants to use it to “research” - mostly look up stuff about rocks. He’s had a kindle fire for a long time which seems to me to be good enough. But I think he wants something with a keyboard. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions for software to have already installed and ready to go when he opens it? Thanks.

You can buy bluetooth keyboards that will work with a Kindle Fire.   I have this one:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R63D97J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works really well.  I find it somewhat awkward, as an adult who is used to a large keyboard complete with number keyboard, but for an 8 year old, it's probably perfect. 

• Like 2

I put in another vote for a Chromebook if you're going to do a proper computer. Cheaper, simpler, and there are some models geared toward kids so they have slightly hardier exteriors. That's what they were invented for. He'll likely outgrow it by age 12 or 13 and need something else with some more power - assuming he's using it for classes or gaming at least a little bit by that point. But that's perfect timing because it'll be kaput by then and ready to be replaced.

• Like 1

I agree that a Chromebook may be the best option. They are light weight, relatively inexpensive, and forgiving of rough treatment. A Chromebook will be fine for “looking stuff up” and streaming YouTube videos. It will work with many/most educational games on the web, but it won’t be very good for hard core gaming which could be a good thing. There is no software to purchase separately. 

I work at a school that uses Chromebooks on a 6yr replacement cycle. Most of the Chromebooks are still working fine into their 5th year u less they sustained physical damage such as dropping down stairs)

For an 8 year old, I would be looking for a proper laptop. It’s right around 3rd-4th grade that I work on teaching touch typing and basic document processing if they haven’t already picked it up. By 5th grade my kids are doing basic slide presentations. It’s in keeping with what the public schools do here. It’s expected by 7th that you are very comfortable doing all of that because nearly all schoolwork happens through chromebooks.

I would go with a desktop.  They are almost indestructible and you can set them up in a public space.  But I have the Logitech bluetooth keyboard with the slot you put the tablet in and it works with my firetab, android phone and computer.  It has a disl with 3 settings for 3 devices.

I agree chromebook is a good idea.  I don't have the latest because it's been a few years for us, but I'd be looking at parental control options and being ready with guidelines and rules for use when it comes out of the box.   It's just easier to have that in place out of the gate then to have to pull back on it later.  Tech was only in public spaces in our house and had time limits for certain usages like gaming.