Menu

Are there American Girl Lesson plans?

WTMindy

a teacher's guide -one for each of the original girls but I think they are out of print. I was able to pick up two of them used through the curriculum sale boards. They would be helpful if you could find them.

Also, each girl has a world book such as Welcome to Felicity's World. My mom just recently bought two new ones at Sam's Club for a good price. These are filled with historical pictures of items and events of this time period of history. My dds love to look at these. Most libraries have them too.

HTH

P.S. Homeschool share has lapbooks for the American Girl books too!

http://www.homeschoolshare.com

These are under level 5-chapter books.

Edited by Kfamily

I don't know if it is the type of lesson plans you are looking for, but there is Portraits of American Girlhood:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Portraits+of+American+Girlhood/030406/1229469839-188629

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=697705&netp_id=458413&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers#curr

You can view diff samples at each place.

There are lapbooks at http://www.homeschoolshare.com/American_Girl_Lapbook.php

We read the set of books, checked out the cookbook, craft book, Welcome to So-and-so's World and bought the paper dolls. We spent about 6 weeks on each set of books but I was doing two at the same time (1 for each dd).

When we got to the last book, I would print out the lapbook templates and we would work through the mini-books, read a page or two a day out of the little inforamational books that come with the paper dolls, look at the crafts and recipies and the Welcome to ....World books.

There are also these out there:

http://www.knowledgeboxcentral.com/amgitsela.html This one only covers the Meet Kirsten book.

http://www.currclick.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=175 There are some for Kit and Felicity here. And right now they are really cheap.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

Just a plug for Portraits of American Girlhood. We did this a few years ago when my girls were in about 2nd grade and 4th grade and had a blast with it! It was so much fun and they still remember a lot of what we studied. Anyway, I think if you did that with the occasional lapbook, that would be so much fun! Kind of makes me wish my girls were young again.

• 4 years later...
Guest Hayley_Croft

I would also highly recommend Girls of American History.  We have used the Kaya and Felicity studies and are currently using Josephina.  The curriculum is like having a Pinterest board for AG with all the work already done for you.  The author gives TONS of ideas for crafts and field trips, as well as character studies and further reading.  My daughter is almost 7 and she loves American History because of AG and the GofAH curriculum.  The author has created studies for all of the older dolls, but is currently adding the newer girls as well.  She just added Caroline and her facebook page said that Marie Grace and Cecile should be ready by Labor Day.

Questions for you 2 new ladies who use the download AG curriculum (not POAG):

I realize that samples are very limited (for good reason), and so my perception of what is included is also limited. What I see besides scheduling the AG books are:

~~Suggestions for expensive craft kits (not a bad thing mind you, just not everyone can drop $20 or more each week)
~~Suggestions for expensive field trips and those that are not available everywhere
~~Assigned lapbook days
~~Assigned art days from Draw Write Now books
~~Suggestions for extra links and books
~~Character lessons
(If I have missed anything please accept my apologies.)

Here are my questions:
~~I realize that the aim here is to address kids who need more hands on. This is a good thing! I am wondering if there are ever crafts suggested that use materials commonly on hand, or ones that can last a full 3-6 weeks instead of a different one each week for those who can't afford what I see in the samples?
~~Are all lapbook components IN the download and printable? If so are they b/w or color? Or do you need to create them yourself?
~~How long are the files at the website accessible to those who have paid for a unit?
~~What sort of lessons are there in the book, if any. For example do they have writing assignments with some guidance? I noticed somewhere it was suggested to draw vocab from the reading. Is the spelling the same way?
~~What are the character lessons like?
~~Did I understand correctly that there is no science included?

Thanks for any help! I am totally happy with POAG, so if I were to purchase a unit it would be one not included in POAG. But others here may also like some more detail in case they are considering a year or so with an AG study. =)

Guest Hayley_Croft
I'd be happy to answer your questions as best as I can.  We have been very happy with the Girls of American History curriculum, especially because my daughter has mild sensory processing disorder and this is a multisensory program.  As far as the crafts being expensive, I have not had to buy anything extra so far except for a bookmark cross-stitching kit that I picked up at a craft store for $3.  Albeit, I do keep a well stocked craft closet because of my daughter's need for tactile stimulation, but most of the projects can be adapted easily for common household/homeschool supplies.  Several of the suggestions are for "kits", but we have had just looked at the pictures and made our own (example-teepee). I do agree that not everyone can find the suggested field trips in their areas, but I have been able to find inspiration for things I might not have thought of and this has led to some really interesting field trips.  For instance, I would not have thought to visit a fish hatchery, but because it was suggested in the Kaya study, we had a wonderful opportunity for a free tour of one just 30 minutes from our home.

Now to answer your specific questions:

~~I realize that the aim here is to address kids who need more hands on. This is a good thing! I am wondering if there are ever crafts suggested that use materials commonly on hand, or ones that can last a full 3-6 weeks instead of a different one each week for those who can't afford what I see in the samples? 

I think I covered that one above. :) 

~~Are all lapbook components IN the download and printable? If so are they b/w or color? Or do you need to create them yourself?

We do not use the lapbooks, so I am not certain about the quality.  But I do believe that they are black and white and the kit just links to where you can download the lapbook components.

~~How long are the files at the website accessible to those who have paid for a unit?  

As far as I understand, they are always accessible.

~~What sort of lessons are there in the book, if any. For example do they have writing assignments with some guidance? I noticed somewhere it was suggested to draw vocab from the reading. Is the spelling the same way?

There are no "lessons" included, just suggestions for crafts, writing prompts, lapbooks, etc.  Considering the low cost of the curriculum, I felt that it gave me more than enough ideas to keep us busy with learning. It also left room for our personalities and learning styles to fill in the blanks.

~~What are the character lessons like? 

There are no specific lessons, just a list of character traits encountered in each book to give discussion prompts.

~~Did I understand correctly that there is no science included?

If you are looking for a structured science program, this would not provide that.  But if you are approaching it from an "unschooling" view point, we have learned so much about salmon, horse care, forest fires, making apple butter, and many other real-life science lessons that I believe will stick with her longer than our structured science program. 

I hope that helps anyone who was curious! :)

• 1 year later...