Menu

WM in Chesapeake VA …..another mass shooting

Scarlett

That is our local Walmart. I haven’t gone there for years. It has been sketchy for quite a while. It is odd that it is so sketchy because our town is pretty nice. Even all the things surrounding it are nice. Dollar Tree has just put millions of dollars into a very nice, large development surrounding their headquarters quite close to that Walmart.

Wait a minute, I did go there once a year ago. I got hit up with a sob story for money in the parking lot.

15 years ago, one of my patients was a victim of an attempted kidnapping in that Walmart’s parking lot. Some guy tried to pull her into his van that was parked next to her. He was not successful.

• Sad 4

This is so beyond tragic. Not just this. Of course this. But ALL the mass shootings. All the shooting. All the guns. We feel so helpless. Is there really and truly NOTHING we can do in this country to decrease this? This can happen ANYWHERE! When they put people on the news and they say, “I never thought it would happen here” I just shake my head and think “where have you been?” cuz it’s happening all over the US…cities, rural,suburbs, schools, clubs, streets, stores… 

• Like 9

22 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

It's odd that it was a manager, and it was the breakroom.  he was targeting his own employees.  

Agree.  And he was smiling too.  Truly odd, since while psychopaths may very well smile when killing, they normally do not commit suicide. 

Unfortunately, these mass killings come in waves.

Truly awful.

3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

This is so beyond tragic. Not just this. Of course this. But ALL the mass shootings. All the shooting. All the guns. We feel so helpless. Is there really and truly NOTHING we can do in this country to decrease this? This can happen ANYWHERE! When they put people on the news and they say, “I never thought it would happen here” I just shake my head and think “where have you been?” cuz it’s happening all over the US…cities, rural,suburbs, schools, clubs, streets, stores… 

Same here. I fully expect it all of the time now. One of dh’s work mates is now working from home full time— because he fears he will snap at work.  Dh told me concerning stories all of the time about this guy.  

• Sad 4

14 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Things have been changed before.  It requires a really high level of sacrifice from those who do it plus a certain personality and skill set.  Most of us are better suited to be the support people of the chosen person 

1 hour ago, kiwik said:

The only way to change it is to stay and fight.

This is true and was actually part of our Thanksgiving dinner, but it feels so depressingly impossible to many in the US right now, unfortunately. Other countries have had a mass shooting event and collectively decided “never again” and made changes to prevent more shootings. Here, we have a mass shooting, and half the country grips their guns tighter while politicians say, “now is not the time to talk about guns”. Gun rights activists are more worried about losing their guns than about all the people being killed by them. It’s darned hard to figure out what to do with that. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I agree that the "never thought it would happen here" crowd is deluding themselves.

But I do totally understand the "I never thought it would happen to ME" feeling, because even though these are on the rise and seem to be getting worse and worse, they are also still statistically unlikely to happen to any particular individual.

It feels like it's getting harder and harder to understand the motives at play or the profile of potential mass shooters. Which, honestly, makes sense given that we're all living in this toxic gun culture.

• Like 2