Menu

Breakfast question

happi duck

A thin grazer has had a schedule change and they need a breakfast that lasts now that they can't graze.

What makes breakfast last: carbs, fat, protein, a mix?

I'm not asking for specific food ideas but wondering about what combo of carbs etc has worked for you, kwim?

Eta: I forgot to think about fiber too

Edited by happi duck

For my kids, a mix is best. They gravitate toward carbs, but then they crash. 

With the balance, they do better. Even then, I try to encourage whole grains for the carbs (oatmeal over cereal of most any kind, for example). My thin one also has an Rx for Boost Breeze, and he tries to fit one in at breakfast. (I know it's not as natural as other options, but it's paid for by insurance, it works, and he doesn't care for fatty foods in any kind of helpful quantity.)

We purchased little Dash waffle makers--one is a true waffle maker, one is a griddle, and one is a flat plate with a lip in the edge. All three can run at once, so they can put an egg on the flat one, a sausage on the griddle, etc. and make a breakfast sandwich, so it can be really quick, and they can be doing something else in the same room while it cooks, which is harder to do if they are flipping things on the stove. Pinterest has a lot of ideas for foods that can be made in a waffle maker that aren't just carbs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People are different. I've always operated most optimally on a carb heavy breakfast. Overnight oats are my go-to breakfast and I almost never get really hungry before lunch time. I make them with almond milk and a small amount of chia seeds and raisins, so it's a lot of carbs and a little bit of protein and fat. I can't tolerate much protein or fat early in the day because they make me nauseous. But again--people are different. He'll have to experiment and figure out what works best for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Carbs are digested first, then protein, then fat. So try to include healthy doses of protein and fat, plus complex carbs. DS's favorite high-calorie, high-protein breakfast is a burrito with scrambled eggs, cheese, sausage, black beans, potatoes, and salsa. That will "stick to your ribs" for a very long time, and it's easy to make a batch of them and freeze or refrigerate, and then quickly microwave or toast in a pan when needed.

Personally, I'm like Pawz4me, and I don't like a heavy or high-fat meal early in the morning, so I lean more towards protein smoothies, steel cut oats with berries, or a tofu scramble with lots of veg. Those keep me full for a long time — but I'm a fairly sedentary older adult with a slow metabolism. None of those would last DS until lunch, he definitely needs more protein and fat than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

People are different.

So true!! For me breakfast has to include protein to keep me feeling full. If I have a bowl of cereal of some kind (Tues and Thurs) I'm almost immediately hunting for something more in the fridge.

This is something my forum-time has made crystal clear to me.

Edited by Miss Tick
enough errors can make the meaning incomprehensible
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

fat and protein.  I have a protein smoothie for breakfast, and it lasts.  While I prefer the taste of whey protein powder . . my dr wanted me to use brown rice protein powder.  Then I throw in some frozen fruit chunks, and anything else I want in it and let it pulverize it.  I do about 12 oz of water, and 2+ cups of fruit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People are different, but calorie for calorie baked potatoes have been shown to be the most satiating. A Spanish omelette lightened up by baking & cooling the potatoes first instead of frying them first, then reheating slices in a nonstick skillet and pouring in a mix of one whole egg & several egg whites helps too. I leave out the onion in the traditional recipe & toss in chopped bell pepper or a bit of broccoli or greens before baking the egg mixture in. I find if I eat this until I’m full (a little less than half of a 12” skillet for my appetite), I don’t get hungry for about six hours. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a reactive hypoglycemia sufferer since my teens, my high protein smoothie is the only thing I've found that lasts through the morning.  (I never have time for a snack at work ... I barely have time to pee.) 

1 cup almond milk
1 serving whey protein powder
1/2 cup Icelandic or Greek yogurt 
2 cups loosely packed kale (about 2 leaves curly kale or 4 leaves flat)
1 cup frozen berries
1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax seeds.  

I drink this in the car on the way to work at about 7:30 am and can go until noon.  

I really wanted steel cut oats to work for me due to the supposed heart benefits, but even when I put in nuts and seeds and butter, I was ravenous 3 hours later and could barely function.  

• Thanks 1

DS17 has to go high protein, very low carbs for breakfast at 8:30am to last until 3pm (after class) to eat. He gets car sick so he can’t eat on the car ride to community college. He tried a high protein burrito but felt dizzy so even a burrito is too much carbs in the morning. His limit is about half a burrito “skin” but can eat the entire burrito filling.  I have to go all meat and some scrambled eggs for breakfast  at 7am to last until lunchtime. Eggs would get my husband full until lunchtime but eggs give me heartburn if I eat more than one at a time.

• Thanks 1

What works for me:

big bowl of mixed raw greens (plain)

Breakfast bowl with:

couple cups mixed fresh and frozen fruit

1/3 cup oats or other whole grain

1/3 - 1/2 cup beans

1/4 cup walnuts or other raw nuts

2 T flax

sprinkle of seed mix (chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds)

sprinkle of unsweetened dried fruit 

soy milk

This keeps me from feeling hungry for at least four hours. I am very active (17, 000 - 20,000 steps per day).

Edited by Selkie
  • Thanks 1

I aim to get protein. But I also believe myself to be hypoglycemic. I know you didn't ask for food ideas but for me this means if I eat breakfast it's probably Greek yogurt and fruit or oatmeal and fruit. If I eat toast it's a complex carb (Ezekiel bread). And if I treat myself to something like pancakes I try to pair it with eggs or bacon or something with protein. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

As a reactive hypoglycemia sufferer since my teens, my high protein smoothie is the only thing I've found that lasts through the morning.  (I never have time for a snack at work ... I barely have time to pee.) 

1 cup almond milk
1 serving whey protein powder
1/2 cup Icelandic or Greek yogurt 
2 cups loosely packed kale (about 2 leaves curly kale or 4 leaves flat)
1 cup frozen berries
1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax seeds.  

I drink this in the car on the way to work at about 7:30 am and can go until noon.  

I really wanted steel cut oats to work for me due to the supposed heart benefits, but even when I put in nuts and seeds and butter, I was ravenous 3 hours later and could barely function.  

I'll have to try this. I hate having to try and wolf some food at work to stave off a crash. I've never found anything that can get me from 7:30 to noon. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I'll have to try this. I hate having to try and wolf some food at work to stave off a crash. I've never found anything that can get me from 7:30 to noon. 

I keep peanut butter crackers with me. But I prefer not to have to snack every time. I do think I’m meant to eat smaller meals more often but lately try to fill up on water because of weight loss goals. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

For me it is a mix.  Protein is a must, but protein and carbs lasts better than just protein. A little fat helps but it’s not as noticeable as the other two. But if I just have carbs that will definitely not stick with me, even slower digesting whole grain carbs like oatmeal.  And I’m not very hungry in the morning, so I have to make sure that I prioritize the protein, or I get full on carbs and don’t want to eat the protein. But I’ll regret it two hours later if I can’t snack.

• Thanks 1

Breakfasts that keep me full for hours are steel cut oats with fruit and cream, breakfast burritos with sausage, egg, cheese, and potatoes (or a frittata), and whole wheat avocado toast with eggs. The wheat bread I use for my toast has poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds. 

In the summer I make a smoothie with whole milk yogurt, banana, peanut butter, and oats. 

• Thanks 1