Menu

Oboe questions....

Dd (11) is homeschooled, but trots across the street to the middle school to play in the band and sing in the choir. Our district has been wonderful. She's the only HSer to do this, but it works out beautifully for us. She loves it, and it's a nice social outlet for her since we do not participate in any HS groups around here.

But anyway.....dd has played the piano for five years, the flute for two, and has been asked by the band director to try the oboe, as there is no oboeist (sp?) in the middle school band. Dd was thrilled, and today the director took her aside to see if she could make a noise on the double-reed instrument. Lo and behold, dd took to it like a duck to water, and after an hour of practice can play the first few songs in the lesson book. Right now she's using the school's oboe. Fine for now, but eventually, we'd like to get her an oboe if it's something she wants to stick with. Knowing her, it will be. I checked online and WOW, are they ever expensive! On ebay, used oboes are going for over $1,000! There are a couple priced less than $500, but they also state that they've had major cracks repaired. Probably not a good thing, right? And they're not even made of grenadilla wood.

So my question is, WHY are they so expensive? And do oboeists play a school instrument until high school? I was seriously blown away by the prices. Decent student model flutes are a fraction of that, and though dd plays my flutes and we didn't purchase one we did look into buying a piccolo and again, a fraction of the cost of an oboe.

So all you oboe enthusiasts out there, or music teachers, can you please share some oboe insights?

Thanks so much!

Astrid

I don't know that I ever heard of a student oboe the way one has student flutes or trumpets. If it is any consolation they were that expensive in highschool over 20 years ago which is why I always rented the school one. Sorry I can't be more helpful. On a good note(pun intended) though, I was one of 22 flutes in 8th grade. Generally around 18-22. I immediately went to 2nd oboe and in high school was the principal oboist. Of course I was the only oboist, but if your dd is at all gifted/diligent/committed she could do a whole lot of things that an average flutist might not get to.

I can't really answer your questions, but I'm shopping for an Oboe too.

My 12 year old is going to play it next year. I was told that he needed a wooden instrument. He has a wooden Clarinet, and it is noticeably better than our plastic one.

I was told that there is more scholarship opportunities for Oboe players than any other instrument because good players are so rare.

I can't really answer your questions, but I'm shopping for an Oboe too.

My 12 year old is going to play it next year. I was told that he needed a wooden instrument. He has a wooden Clarinet, and it is noticeably better than our plastic one.

I was told that there is more scholarship opportunities for Oboe players than any other instrument because good players are so rare.

OOOOH, I hadn't even thought of scholarship opportunites!

Well heck, bring on the oboe! :-)

astrid

a little saxaphone, can do a wee bit of flute, and was asked to play oboe in middle school/ highschool. It was very expensive even then-- a good wooden oboe can run 2K easily. That is why I didn't play it. No school oboe, family couldn't afford one.

Wooden is important. I guess that is why they are called woodwinds. ;)Plastic doesn't have the same tone- there is a significant difference in price. It is a very delicate instrument-- and very complicated. THe open reed is very complex. I would think a bassoon would really kill the budget.

More people play starter instruments like flute, clarinet, etc. --- greater numbers of people and instruments lead to lower cost versions. But, the more specialized instruments (say, alto flute, oboe, piccolo, bassoon...) don't have as many people playing them. We had an excellent band in middle school, but we still didn't see the Bassoon until HS.

Also, being able to play things like the Bassoon & Oboe are less crowded for music scholarships (although, I had such a horrible experience in my college marching band in college and wouldn't have played concert bassoon for them for any scholarship -- and they were ADVERTISING!).

There was a time I thought I would be a music major -- focusing on music education -- so I spent a lot of time in high school learning every instrument I could.

I played the oboe in high school and college. I got by with a plastic one (my parents bought it after renting for two years) and even got offered several scholarships with the plastic one. I did get a wooden one before I started college. Just sold it on Craigslist last week!

I agree, there are many more scholarship opportunities with the oboe!

Astrid,

I have an oboe you are welcome to if you want it. I played in high school and the first year of college, but haven't played it in 30 years. It needs to be cleaned, tuned up, and have the pads changed. PM me if you are interested.

You are so sweet! If Astrid doesn't want it I do. :D That is what we need to do. Help each other out. Lets see what do I have. 4 loud disobedient children, more Christian music cd's than I would ever listen too and dh's 500 t-shirts. Hmmm . . .any takers? :D

Oh yeah, a 13 year old minivan in need of its 4th(yes 4th) tranny and struts.

My dad is a band director (retired PS) and runs the Central Oklahoma Homeschool Bands (shameless plug). My middle dd is a clarinet player who wanted to try the oboe. I was able to track down an older one in good shape for around $300--but I looked a LONG time--and had my dad hunting too! Sometimes my dad can find excellent deals on used instruments...

Oboes are expensive because they are complicated. The wood has to be turned just right or it will crack... they also have more keys than clarinets/saxophones do and they have to be 'adjusted' constantly...

Besides the instrument itself there is a HUGE cost involved in the reeds. It can be very difficult to find a reed should one break! Unlike other woodwinds that use reeds the double reeds of the oboe cost over $5 each--better ones are around $10. Last year in Austin (a decent size city) no music store had them in stock. I ordered off of E-bay.

If your dd starts to play oboe it is best if she learn how to make her own reeds--so she can clip and repair her own. It is also a profitable hobby--there are some local college students who are making reeds to pay their way through college! I went to a large high school--the oboe and bassoon players all made their own reeds. The band director hired a special person to come in and teach them...

My dad is a band director (retired PS) and runs the Central Oklahoma Homeschool Bands (shameless plug). My middle dd is a clarinet player who wanted to try the oboe. I was able to track down an older one in good shape for around $300--but I looked a LONG time--and had my dad hunting too! Sometimes my dad can find excellent deals on used instruments...

Oboes are expensive because they are complicated. The wood has to be turned just right or it will crack... they also have more keys than clarinets/saxophones do and they have to be 'adjusted' constantly...

Besides the instrument itself there is a HUGE cost involved in the reeds. It can be very difficult to find a reed should one break! Unlike other woodwinds that use reeds the double reeds of the oboe cost over $5 each--better ones are around $10. Last year in Austin (a decent size city) no music store had them in stock. I ordered off of E-bay.

If your dd starts to play oboe it is best if she learn how to make her own reeds--so she can clip and repair her own. It is also a profitable hobby--there are some local college students who are making reeds to pay their way through college! I went to a large high school--the oboe and bassoon players all made their own reeds. The band director hired a special person to come in and teach them...

:iagree: You are one informed person.

Looks like you have a pretty good answer as to why oboes are so expensive (wood/cracks/lots of keys needing lots of attention.) Dh just chimed in. He says that Fox and Yamaha have excellent student level oboes for a reasonable price. And I would like to second the idea of making (or at least scraping) her own reeds! There is a bit of an investment involved up front, but it will save a ton of $$ in the end, especially if she does stick with it, and she will be much happier playing on her own reeds.

I just have to add that your line about your dd taking to it like a duck to water made me laugh! I have always called dh's beginner students "the ducks." :D

-Robin

I just have to add that your line about your dd taking to it like a duck to water made me laugh! I have always called dh's beginner students "the ducks." :D

-Robin

Yeah....I didn't even realize how truly precise that common simile is when talking about a beginner oboe student. QuaaaaaaK!

thanks for the info!

Astrid