Menu

Perimenopause -- ladies who are going through this, do you find that...

The PMS is worse and lasts longer? By worse, I mean are you even more emotional (weepy, sad, anxious, etc.) than you used to be (when you were younger/before the premenopause changes began) in the days leading up to your period? By lasting longer, I mean does the "emotional-ness" either begin earlier or hang on later (or both) than just the week before your period? I can't seem to figure out my "emotional self" these days! What I've described above describes me, and I wonder if it is the hormonal fluctuatations making all this happen. FWIW, I am 48yo & had very regular 26-30 day cycles until this past spring, when I began having much more erratic cycles -- for a few months, they were as long as 35 days, then they became much shorter (the past several months, they've been as short as 21 days).

ETA: I also have a lot more trouble sleeping than I used to. I go to sleep but wake up several times a night or I wake up after 4 or 5 hours and can't get back to sleep.

At 45, my cycles have become much heavier, sometimes shorter in duration (as in, "What the heck! I didn't expect you for another week!"), and the week before it strikes I am weepy and depressed.

Basically, it's the pits. I am just about ready to do menopause and get it all over with and behind me:tongue_smilie:Unfortunately, I don't actually have any control over that.

I really do think that when the weather is nice, when I exercise, and when I avoid junk food, the symptoms are much lighter. Also, essential fatty acid supplements seem to help.

So, you are not alone!

This is normal. When I was about 45 I was having 3 weeks of PMS at a time. I went on a low dose antidepressant to combat the moodiness. Two years later I'm back to ~1 week of PMS but now very erratic cycles - sometimes skip a month, sometimes have two cycles in one month. I cut way back on the antidepressant use to where I only use it about four days a month.

There are many other ways to address this but my moodiness was making me miserable and I chose to attack that symptom as opposed to other physical symptoms. When my moodiness was under control the rest of it was not hard to bear. Your doctor can help you with this - it is a wild ride but normal.

When I was about 45....

Dana, is that you in your avatar? I've always thought so, and if so, you look like a teenager! It surprised me to see you say you are 45+!

And now that it's been mentioned, I also have trouble getting to sleep, and my doc has offered an antidepressant for as-needed use. I have not taken him up on that yet, but the day may come...

What you describe sounds very familiar. I'm also 48 and my cycles are getting weird. Some months are light and some require Slow Flow. Often, I wake up and feel ready to start the new day around 3 or 4 a.m. I'm nodding off around 9 or 10 p.m. The worst part is the weight I have gained and a sad lack of motivation. I lost 17 pounds just before my dd's diagnosis of type 1 diabetes over a year ago and I regained it all eating nervously those first months. Boy, I could kick myself:glare:

Dana, is that you in your avatar? I've always thought so, and if so, you look like a teenager! It surprised me to see you say you are 45+!

And now that it's been mentioned, I also have trouble getting to sleep, and my doc has offered an antidepressant for as-needed use. I have not taken him up on that yet, but the day may come...

AuntieM, you've made my day! :party:

Sleep is a huge problem for me lately. I encourage all of you to have your blood checked to rule out thyroid or other issues. The nurse was just as shocked as me to find my hormone levels to be NOT perimenopausal in spite of the very symptoms you are all describing.

The A/D doc prescribed felt like a miracle drug to me...and it was very low dose. 1mg of Adavan before bed. I slept like a baby and the hot flashes disappeared and my mood lifted significantly...which will happen when one gets sleep. :tongue_smilie:

The PMS is worse and lasts longer? By worse, I mean are you even more emotional (weepy, sad, anxious, etc.) than you used to be (when you were younger/before the premenopause changes began) in the days leading up to your period?
The duration of PMS and not-PMS have been more or less reversed. I am not impressed. :cursing:

Slow Flow is a "menstrual flow support" supplement by Vitanica. I took their prenatal vitamins during my last few pregnancies. They were the only ones that would stay down! A couple of Slow Flow does exactly what its name suggests...bring a "gusher cycle" down to something normal. Too many capsules and it will stop the thing, but it will come back in a few days, so moderation. They seem perfectly safe and I've used them off and on for several years as needed. I usually purchase mine locally, but I found it at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Flow-Menstrual-Support-capsules/dp/B00065KEBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1229469222&sr=8-1

Y'all are singing my song! I'm 48 and living in a hormonal twilight zone half the month -- moody, waking up at 4 or 5am, asleep before anyone else in the house.

Since we're on this topic, I have to share with a sympathetic audience my grocery store adventure last month. I was moody. It was a crazy busy week, and all I wanted to buy was a lousy box of oat bran. I stood there in the cereal aisle for several minutes, searching in vain for oat bran and it just unglued me that they didn't have any! I literally left my cart in the middle of the aisle and walked out of the store before I made a spectacle of myself because I wanted to either rip the head off the store manager or just fall into a sobbing heap in the middle of the floor. I had to sit in the car a few minutes to cool off before I could drive to another store (where there was a box of oat bran, in the cereal aisle, just as it should be.) It was such a bizarre experience to be overcome by such powerful emotions over something so trivial. Hormonally psychotic -- that's what I plead!

Not currently experiencing the symptoms myself, but I would highly recommend Christiane Northrup's book The Wisdom of Menopause. There are a number of herbs that help support the journey and balance the hormonal rollercoaster. Women's support is actually the subject of my current lesson in the herbalist course I'm taking.

(Please, somebody, remind me of this when I start.)

Jenn - I've gotten to the cart-ditching, cooling off in the car place in the grocery store before. I'm pretty sure it's them and not hormonal. :glare: