Menu

Science in a nutshell earthworks - Tami or anyone?

Julieofsardis

I saw Tami's recommendation for these in another thread and was wondering if I could get a little more information.

What materials are included with the kits?

Which particular kits did you like the best?

Is there a teacher guide book included?

Is there really enough material for 1-3 students, so that after one use, I could resell?

Are the journals similar to lab reports, and do they include purpose, materials, hypothesis, prodedure, and conclusion?

Anything else you'd like to include would be great.

Thanks

Julie

Hi Julie, I have quite a few of the "Nutshell" science kits.

What materials are included with the kits?

Pretty much everything you need. Only things like paper towels may not be included. But they generally had everything -- paper clips, tape, what have you.

Which particular kits did you like the best?

I dont know that I have a favorite, it has been a while since we've had them out. I used them for earth/space science and for physics.

Is there a teacher guide book included?

Yes, there is an activity guide and three copies of the activity logbook with each kit. We actually never wrote in any of the logbooks, I generally copied them to put inside our science binders for the year.

Is there really enough material for 1-3 students, so that after one use, I could resell?

There really is enough material for 1-3 students, or even more. That said, I'm not sure about resale -- have you seen them for sale used anywhere? I think in most cases you can get the kit back into a pretty much original condition, but in a couple you assemble things that may be difficult to disassemble, kwim? I know they are expensive...

Are the journals similar to lab reports, and do they include purpose, materials, hypothesis, prodedure, and conclusion?

I think they are similar to lab reports, in that they give space for recording results and ask conclusion-type questions. But they are not laid out in a formal lab report manner, there aren't the formal sections you mention -- it's pretty much just recording experiment results and making conclusions based on those those results. In a couple of instances they may have you make predictions before conducting the experiment (like a hypothesis), but this isn't standard.