Menu

Class of 2023 College Acceptances and Decisions Thread

29 minutes ago, idnib said:

Arcadia, I'm so happy that after your journey you have a welcoming place for your DS to go.

UCR has a long standing reputation of being friendly to homeschoolers so that makes it even more reassuring. He has picked his date for transfer orientation and for academic advising session.  My shopaholic husband has already started dorm shopping. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

UCR has a long standing reputation of being friendly to homeschoolers so that makes it even more reassuring. He has picked his date for transfer orientation and for academic advising session.  My shopaholic husband has already started dorm shopping. 

Congratulations!! I hope he has a fantastic experience!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Congratulations!! I hope he has a fantastic experience!

My husband is hoping that DS17 would be able to get admitted there too next year. The “extra year” at community college has given DS18 more time to feel confident enough to stay at a dorm.   He has already made his wish list for junior and senior year computer science electives.

ETA:

We are also happy that their CS program is ABET accredited.

”The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (CS) Program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of ABET.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, idnib said:

Arcadia, I'm so happy that after your journey you have a welcoming place for your DS to go.

@Arcadia, I hope he knows that he has a huge group of people here cheering for him!!!! ❤️

Edited by rzberrymom
  • Like 10

On 4/30/2023 at 6:54 AM, Eos said:

I love that some kids are still deciding - sorry for their parents, though!

He went to the 11th hour before committing to MIT.  I am happy with his choice.  The west coast east coast exchange will do him good.

• Like 21

4 hours ago, gstharr said:

He went to the 11th hour before committing to MIT.  I am happy with his choice.  The west coast east coast exchange will do him good.

Hurray!  My ds loved MIT and has made life long friends. If your ds needs help choosing a dorm, my ds can add his two cents on the personality of each. 

• Like 3

My son decided on Hillsdale. It was between a full ride at Bama and a basically equivalent offer at Hillsdale with some outside scholarships he earned added in. Other options just cost so much more they didn’t make sense for him. He got invited to a scholars weekend at Hillsdale and the rich conversations with other students sealed the deal. 

• Like 18

We’ve gone all in—I really should post a picture, but my kid in the UCLA sweatshirt, posing next to UCLA Sister and UCLA Grandpa. Yep, bought those shirts too. I stopped when they begged me to get an outfit for the dog. 😂

Edited by rzberrymom
  • Like 7
  • Haha 6

DS18 doesn’t like swag unfortunately because my husband loved shopping. He does not wear any clothing where brands are obvious since he was a kid due to personal preference. He feels strongly that he should not be paying money to advertise for an entity. He would pick t-shirts where the brand logo is the same color as the t-shirt so that it’s very difficult to see what brand it is. The brands on his outerwear are hard to guess. He has free swag from his community college and that stays at home on his study desk and gets treated as a memento.

• Like 2

When DS went to Case Western as his last college visit, on Facetime he was saying he was still open to different schools, but I could see the tops of "CWRU" on a very new looking sweatshirt he was wearing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Everybody has a t-shirt from their school. The next "swag" purchase from me is going to be the required full meal plan for freshmen. 😂

If that counts as swag, then the first would be the deposit to be paid at acceptance ($250), followed by mandatory orientation fee ($100) and then the housing deposit ($200, kid has not complete his housing application yet).  

• Like 3

Some schools sent keyboard stickers along with their acceptances. I thought that was cute. I would laughingly shell out for a full set of stickers in school colors that just repeated "studystudystudy" across all three lines of the keyboard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

50 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Some schools sent keyboard stickers along with their acceptances. I thought that was cute

DS18 would have love those. We have spare keyboards so he would have just stick the stickers on a spare and use that as a display item.  He has a pop socket swag from SCU that he is still using as a prop for something (not his cellphone) despite being rejected because no one can see the school logo anyway since the logo part is faced down on the table. 

My guess is that if his engineering school has swag, he would not mind having an item or two. I have had lots of swag (mainly free tshirts) from my engineering school and from my dorm but didn’t bother keeping any free swag from my alma mater. It is like at his community college where he has been there since 10th grade. His “loyalty” is primarily to the physical sciences, mathematics & engineering department and secondarily to the community college. His department’s study area has textbooks, kettle, instant coffee packets, various tea packets, snacks and cups for students to use if they don’t have their own.

The college that he didn’t want to go to gave a swag that resembles (1) Burger King paper crown for kids (2) Monkey God (Sun Wukong) head band. We felt it was the weirdest swag we have received and my husband gets plenty of swag from work. 

ETA:

His current external keyboard looks like this

image.jpeg.bfaf3886b8e709e882ba9e3d3ed3558b.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 6

On 5/6/2023 at 7:08 PM, Arcadia said:

If that counts as swag, then the first would be the deposit to be paid at acceptance ($250), followed by mandatory orientation fee ($100) and then the housing deposit ($200, kid has not complete his housing application yet).  

No. no, no! That is not swag.  Must wear colors to represent, Homie.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Now, this might interest my son very much!! If it is alright to mention names, what university sends those swags?

UCSC. It is supposed to resemble the “top” of the banana slug which is the school mascot. It is paper though, thinner than the BK crown. UCR sent a wristband which can also be used as a bag charm. His SCU swag was from their open house. They gave him a notebook with attached pen and a Broncos pop socket. He is using those at home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...