Menu

Class of 2023 College Acceptances and Decisions Thread

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to add a couple of thoughts... Son chose SMU for multiple factors, including getting 1 of 20 full ride scholarships, however, the instant sense of community and connection with both students and admin along with the leadership and networking opps at the Cox school of business made the decision.  He did not want to be a small isolated fish at an elite college.

Finally, we did ultimately benefit greatly from a homeschool education consultant. It is important to find someone who you really connect with, and is supportive. We spoke with several, and our son still recalls his shock upon hearing one consultant state 'you don't even have a ticket to the elite school lottery' when discussing building a balanced list and applying to the lottery schools. 

Well, what a relief it is all over!  Onward!

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

DD committed to UCLA!

It came down to UCLA and Berkeley, but UCLA will take more of her DE credits and Berkeley is a bit too much grime and crime for my kiddo. ☹️

Congratulations! Got her updated on the first page.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, idnib said:

DS committed to Case Western Reserve University! In the end it came down to where he felt he fit in and the program. We're very happy his scholarship put it in range for us, financially.

Congrats!  DH and I met there as undergrads many many years ago.  

I don't see this thread often and wanted to congratulate all of your children and wish them all the best!  🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, idnib said:

DS committed to Case Western Reserve University! In the end it came down to where he felt he fit in and the program. We're very happy his scholarship put it in range for us, financially.

Got him updated on the list.

Congratulations to you all! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, idnib said:

Congratulations to him. I hope I can write this same post in 2024.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Acorn said:

Congratulations to him. I hope I can write this same post in 2024.

Fingers crossed...

Not that I'll have much insight by the time your kids applies, but feel free to PM me with questions and I'll help if I can.

32 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Mine is also opting for UCLA. 

Wonderful!!!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 6:35 PM, Lecka said:

My son was accepted to the University of Oklahoma today.  

It is very likely he will attend there.  Oklahoma City Community College is not off the table, but it is less likely.  

What a relief!!!!!!!!

Will your Ds go to Univ of OK? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Excellent! 
What were the deciding factors? 

The biggest thing is their very integrated co-op program. Everyone must do co-ops to graduate. DS will benefit from getting hands-on experience in the field. He seems a bit mystified by adulthood and I think seeing it in practice will help give him a direction to paddle in. From my parent point of view, there seems to be more support academically and for co-ops than he would ever have received at the Big 10 engineering department he was admitted to.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

The biggest thing is their very integrated co-op program. Everyone must do co-ops to graduate. DS will benefit from getting hands-on experience in the field. He seems a bit mystified by adulthood and I think seeing it in practice will help give him a direction to paddle in. From my parent point of view, there seems to be more support academically and for co-ops than he would ever have received at the Big 10 engineering department he was admitted to.

So good! That adult mentoring is  so helpful to launching as a young adult in this complex world. Jumping straight from academia into work/adulting is hard. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

True! I feel like I fell more than jumped 😄

My first job out of high school while waiting for college to start was at a library shelving books. The pay was decent but I am short so that was a bad job fit. My second job was taking care of the stationery department at a supermarket so that was easy since the display shelves are low enough and stationery items are lightweight.

After working at retail, engineering internships were easy in terms of dealing with colleagues and customers. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS17 is being awarded his associate degree in computer science. He has completed all the requirements by last quarter.  He is applying for transfer in fall but technically class of 2023 for high school graduates.

That is so amazing! Congratulations to him. He can probably just get a job without transferring lol.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

That is so amazing! Congratulations to him. He can probably just get a job without transferring lol.

He is also a slacker like me 🤣

DS18 did not decorate his mortar board last year so we are reusing the gown, tassel and mortar board. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Please, you’re no slacker, you’re the one I turn to when I need help finding something lol. 

Degreeworks has bugs with the degree audit function. DS17 and I presented the guidance counselor with a small stack of documentation on why he met all the requirements and they got it approved despite software issues.  Both my kids learn the degree audit process the hard way. More software bugs this year than last year.

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

@Miss Tick Has your Ds made a choice?

@pgr, @h2bh, @EmilyGF@gstharr, @Arcadia @threedogfarm, @strawberries

What about your kids? Final decisions yet? 

Not yet. He is going to new admit day in Northern Cal tomorrow. It seem to be between this school and MIT. However, there is a long shot in Philly still in the race.  Cornell-Dyson was turned down. I am letting him make the decision. Or, i am trying to. . Each has its unique advantage for his goals. A GF heading to Berkeley is a factor.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, gstharr said:

Not yet. He is going to new admit day in Northern Cal tomorrow. It seem to be between this school and MIT. However, there is a long shot in Philly still in the race.  Cornell-Dyson was turned down. I am letting him make the decision. Or, i am trying to. . Each has its unique advantage for his goals. A GF heading to Berkeley is a factor.

Does he have a May 1 deadline? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gstharr said:

Not yet. He is going to new admit day in Northern Cal tomorrow. It seem to be between this school and MIT. 

One thing that was very good for my ds at MIT was that the school lets students take any class that they want. You do not have to have the prereqs (they are just for guidence). If you think you are ready, then you can take the class. This allowed my ds to skip a bunch of classes that he had self studied in high school but not for credit. It was very nice not to have to waste his time on classes with content that he already knew. 

• Like 3

The other thing my ds really liked about MIT was the dorm situation. Most kids stay in the same dorm all 4 years, and each dorm has a different personality. What is so good is that all 4 years of kids interact. The youngers can learn from the olders and the olders can mentor the youngers. This was a very good thing for my ds.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:24 PM, freesia said:

However, if a miracle happens and we get the money over and above tuition and room and board, he really wants to go to an aviation program. So, that would be LeTourneau most likely.

LeTU is my husband’s Alma Mater; he went for Aviation & is now a CA for a major commercial airline. He’d be happy to speak with your DS about the decision, if you’re interested. No recruitment, just information - the good, the bad, & the ugly. 😉

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

LeTU is my husband’s Alma Mater; he went for Aviation & is now a CA for a major commercial airline. He’d be happy to speak with your DS about the decision, if you’re interested. No recruitment, just information - the good, the bad, & the ugly. 😉

Thanks so much. The miracle didn’t happen, but he got great scholarships to go to Cedarville. Aviation is on the Back burner but still a goal. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Any news?!

DS18 is going for UCR since he felt welcomed and safe enough there. Besides the food court having Panda Express clinched the deal 🤦‍♀️ He hasn’t declined his second choice SJSU yet but I didn’t see a decline button either on the student portal so I guess not accepting means the candidate declined.  

• Like 22

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS18 is going for UCR since he felt welcomed and safe enough there. Besides the food court having Panda Express clinched the deal 🤦‍♀️ He hasn’t declined his second choice SJSU yet but I didn’t see a decline button either on the student portal so I guess not accepting means the candidate declined.  

Panda Express for the win! Seriously though, a boy with food he likes is a good thing. 😎 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Panda Express for the win! Seriously though, a boy with food he likes is a good thing. 😎 

My boys and I kind of have the Panda Express menu memorized.  It is good for homesickness though.

ETA: 

Panda Express menu is similar to what I typically stir fry at home. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Arcadia, I'm so happy that after your journey you have a welcoming place for your DS to go.

• Like 10