Menu

Digital Calendar Peeps

BlsdMama

I really WANT to go digital but I've figured out my hang-up.  I like this BIG desk calendar that give me this "big picture" view - everyone writes everything on it, me, kids, DH. I'm afraid of not having that.  I've input my stuff into Google Calendar but I'm so afraid of  missing stuff.

Google calendar can accommodate multiple calendars, all color-coded for at-a-glance viewing. Each of our 4 family members uses it, and we have a separate 'family' calendar on which anyone can put, well, activities for the family.  It does require some training if everyone is used to using a paper calendar, or other digital calendar, or no calendar at all. But we've been doing this for years.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, marbel said:

Google calendar can accommodate multiple calendars, all color-coded for at-a-glance viewing. Each of our 4 family members uses it, and we have a separate 'family' calendar on which anyone can put, well, activities for the family.  It does require some training if everyone is used to using a paper calendar, or other digital calendar, or no calendar at all. But we've been doing this for years.  

And you can duplicate individual (or reoccurring ) schedule items to multiple calendars (if you don't want to view a mish mosh of colors of different people's calendars).  You can opt to view some or all of your family's calendar items.  This is for Google Calendar and I love that aspect.  I stopped needing to view the college age kid's stuff.

• Like 3

I love that you can put in a recurring event such as a birthday or a bill due date and it can be set to repeat indefinitely. No rewriting everything over and over on paper calendars. I have my whole tax calendar in there. It’s a relief to know these dates are permanently set in there. I am a former Erin Condrin (sp) user. 

My brain remembers things differently when I write them down. So, for me, we have a duplicative system. We have a shared digital calendar, which is great for everyone who is out and about with their own commitments, and we have a big paper calendar which is kind of family + me. I sync them all once a week, for me, on Sundays when I am looking at what needs to happen for the next week. I really love the digital calendar, though, because when I'm out and about doing appointments and errands, I can see what is going to work for everyone involved.

I do find that I "miss" putting stuff onto paper, occasionally, but because I look at my digital calendar first thing in the morning, and then look at the paper one a few minutes later while I'm making coffee, I get them synched up if some last minute thing came onto the calendar. Being afraid of missing an appointment is just a human thing, I think, especially when life is very busy with a large family. I had that fear 20 years ago, when we were still all paper.

Google Calendar was a complete bust for me. I hate that in the monthly view it doesn't wrap text, but rather cuts off most of the information that I need to know at a glance. That was a deal breaker...I refuse to click into an appointment every time I need to see all the basic details (who, what, when, where).

So, as in most things, I reinvented the wheel. We have a shared digital calendar in Google Sheets. It is formatted just like a paper monthly calendar. Each day has a small cell at the top with the date number and then a large space (with text wrapping!) where we can write appointments, etc. Plus, we can use color coding (text, border, and cell) to mark either days or events in any way that is important to us.

I really like Week Agenda. It’s an app that gives me a week-at-a-glance format, so it looks like an open paper planner. I can swipe with one finger to go forward a week, two fingers to go forward a month, and three fingers to go forward a year  

I am an Apple user but think there’s an android version too. 

ETA: I guess it’s actually Week Agenda Ultimate. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not

I'll add my vote for Google calendar. We tried a number of different digital calendars and none really worked for us. We each added our gmail accounts so we can see each other's schedules but we can also choose not to sync things that don't matter to anyone. I love that I can access it on all my devices. I like seeing the large calendar on my laptop but I still have the convenience of using it on my phone and tablet. Our family, including extended family is firmly settled in the Google/Android ecosystem.

I do sometimes miss a paper calendar but each time I buy one thinking I'll go back to paper I end up not using it. Suddenly the year is almost over and I once again try to convince myself if I buy a paper calendar for the next year I'll definitely use it this time. Never happens though. 

One of the things I love about a digital calendar is noore reminder cards from doctors, the dentist, the hair salon, etc. I just put the next appointment in Google right there and leave without another card that I'd end up losing. 

• Like 3