Menu

Making Coffee at Home – for Dummies – Aeropress/Other Options

Negin

Back in my college and grad school days, I used to make coffee and drink it like it was going out of style. Recently, I’ve been enjoying it once more. I don’t want to keep buying coffee drinks.

I’d like to make coffee that actually tastes good, and is hopefully not overly complicated, or too much of a production.

This week, I just started making cold brew, without any equipment other than a coffee grinder.  It’s delicious and I love it. I could do this forever. The only problem is: the cost. Cold brew needs a lot of beans to get a relatively small amount. So sadly, cold brew may be more of a treat than a regular, daily thing.

We live outside the U.S. and will be visiting briefly again very soon. I’d like to order or buy whatever I need, since options are limited here. I’d appreciate any thoughts or tips.

Right now, I’m considering an Aeropress, but I’m open to options.

I was considering the French Press, but read that it’s a pain to clean.

Other options, the Moka Pot or the Pourover.

I’ve been doing a bit of research, but due to time limitations (we are leaving in a few days), I feel overwhelmed.

For simplicity and easy clean up pour over is my choice. I do have a French press, and it works okay in a pinch. It is a bit messy to clean up but not so much that it would be a deal breaker if I preferred the coffee made in it. I've never used an Aeropress, so I can't comment on that. It sure gets great reviews.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Thanks 1

I've used an aeropress since 2014. (I went back and checked my orders.) I really like how easy it is to use and that I don't get any grit. I'd used a French press prior to that and while I liked the flavor, I didn't like the grit left in the bottom of my cup. I don't get that grit anymore unless I reuse the paper filter too long or the filter isn't seated properly. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's not difficult to master. What you essentially make is espresso, so you'll add water to achieve the strength you want.

A downside is that it's more difficult to make several cups at a time. You could do that easier with a French press. 

I'm getting ready to replace it this month and noticed they now make a to-go version that comes with an attached cup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Chemex is my favorite! 

I'm surprised about the cold brew.  I thought it made something very concentrated and you added hot or cold water to each serving.  You saved me an experiment!

That's what I thought the cold brew was, too. I made it for awhile, but it was a pain removing all the grounds. 

• Like 2

Another Chemex fan here. The tricky part for you might be getting the filters. Sometimes I can get them locally, other times I order directly from the company. We've been using a Chemex for 20 years and have fine-tuned our method using weight of beans. In the summer we use it for iced coffee.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Negin said:

This week, I just started making cold brew, without any equipment other than a coffee grinder.  It’s delicious and I love it. I could do this forever. The only problem is: the cost. Cold brew needs a lot of beans to get a relatively small amount. So sadly, cold brew may be more of a treat than a regular, daily thing.

Pour over (the kind that sits on any cup/mug) is my favorite for convenience and great when traveling. My husband likes the french press but I find it a pain to clean so he use he wash.

2 hours ago, happi duck said:

I'm surprised about the cold brew.  I thought it made something very concentrated and you added hot or cold water to each serving.  You saved me an experiment!

2 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

That's what I thought the cold brew was, too. I made it for awhile, but it was a pain removing all the grounds. 

I use a single 70g/2.5oz pack of coffee grounds to water in a 1400ml/48oz Nalgene bottle. I use a filter when reaching the bottle 1/3 of my Nalgene bottle to catch the grounds.  My husband do need to dilute the cold brew, he doesn’t like strong coffee.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Maybe I'm doing things wrong, but my French press leaves the coffee fairly gritty. For that reason, I'm thinking of buying an Aeropress. I've been using the French press for a decade.

(If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know what to change!)

Emily

Are you grinding your coffee too finely?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How much coffee are you wanting to make at one time?  

I enjoy my French Press.  It takes a bit more time to clean than other methods, but it isn't that bad.  My daughter has one and lives where she has to be very careful that no coffee grinds go down the kitchen drain; it is harder to wash the french press out at her house becuase all of the grinds are not packed together.  At my house, most of the grinds go in the compost bin, but I can wash out the French Press in the sink without worrying that the few remaining grinds getting int he drain because I have a garbage disposal.  

I also enjoy a moka pot.  It is a little less "hands on" than a French Press and is easy to clean because the grinds are packed in the basket.  You must have a burner to put it on.  The French Press can be used if you have a source to boil water (electric kettle or microwave) but no burner. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Another Chemex fan here. The tricky part for you might be getting the filters. Sometimes I can get them locally, other times I order directly from the company. We've been using a Chemex for 20 years and have fine-tuned our method using weight of beans. In the summer we use it for iced coffee.

My ds weighs his beans and does a timed pour. I think pour over tastes fantastic. It makes a difference, also, if you use bottled water. I like distilled. I say all this, but I can’t even drink it. I do taste it or have a very small cup when he visits. There is a world of difference in the taste when made this way. 

He’s so serious…he has a whole set up at work. People have come out of their office to walk down the hall to see what the noise is. It’s just ds grinding his beans. Then they stand around (intrigued) watching the whole process of his coffee making. Lol. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have two French presses. One is glass. One is double-walled metal. I love them both. They're not a pain to clean at all. After I have enjoyed my coffee, I rinse the plunger. I dump the grounds in the trash. I throw the plunger and the carafe in the dishwasher. Done. 

If washing by hand, I do exactly the same thing, but instead of the dishwasher I give it a quick once over by hand. Since I rinsed off the coffee grounds (which takes mere seconds to do), it's quick and easy to soap it off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much. You've been so helpful.  I have read, and I remember from back when I was a coffee snob, that the quality of the beans, and having them freshly ground coffee is primary. I’m just looking for a method that’s not overly complicated. I would prefer something similar to cold brew, since that’s my favorite (for now). I’m the only coffee drinker in the house. If only the cold brew method didn’t use so much coffee. It’s unbelievable to me how much it uses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Maybe I'm doing things wrong, but my French press leaves the coffee fairly gritty. For that reason, I'm thinking of buying an Aeropress. I've been using the French press for a decade.

(If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know what to change!)

Emily

I drink French press coffee frequently. (I also have a pour-over for making just one cup and I like that, too.) Typically the very last swallow will have some super-fine silt. I just don't drink to the very last drop. I would not say my coffee is gritty at all--I wonder if you plunger is tight enough or if you are pushing it down unevenly. It's also possible your grind is too fine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Negin said:

Thank you all so much. You've been so helpful.  I have read, and I remember from back when I was a coffee snob, that the quality of the beans, and having them freshly ground coffee is primary. I’m just looking for a method that’s not overly complicated. I would prefer something similar to cold brew, since that’s my favorite (for now). I’m the only coffee drinker in the house. If only the cold brew method didn’t use so much coffee. It’s unbelievable to me how much it uses.

I love the taste of cold brew. It does use lots of coffee!!

My best recommendation, if you are looking for best taste, is bottled or distilled water, even for tea, etc. It makes such a big difference. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

I've used an aeropress since 2014. (I went back and checked my orders.) I really like how easy it is to use and that I don't get any grit.

Thank you. Is the aeropress fussy about water temperature? I really don't want to have to buy an electric kettle with temperature settings. What I mean to say is that I'd prefer not to. 

1 hour ago, Negin said:

Thank you. Is the aeropress fussy about water temperature? I really don't want to have to buy an electric kettle with temperature settings. What I mean to say is that I'd prefer not to. 

Well, to be honest, I didn't know I should wait for the boiling water to cool off before pouring out in. I thought it was tea that needed cooler water and coffee needed hot water. So I guess not? 🤷 In general, I think my coffee is good, but I'm not a connoisseur. 

• Like 1

Sharing some links that I’ve come across for anyone who may be interested. I have a tendency to go down rabbit holes and there’s often no stopping me once that happens.

I wish that I didn’t need coffee, but these days, I do. I could probably get by with tea. I hate green tea, and wish that I didn’t, since I know that it’s beneficial.

What Coffee-Brewing Method Makes the Best-Tasting Cup?

The Best Ways to Make Coffee, According to Baristas

How to make the best, smooth cup of aeropress coffee

And just in case you didn’t know….

Some coffee brewing methods leave all or some of the cholesterol in the coffee. Only paper filters can remove it. Many coffee snobs think it’s better to remove the cholesterol because it’s less bitter. Some people don’t want to remove the oils in their coffee. But fine stainless filters supposedly do not remove these oils. So, if this matters to you, whether it be for health or taste preferences, paper filters will remove it. (I prefer unbleached filters for my occasional cup of decaf). 

Clean, bottled water and quality single-origin beans ….very important. My son thinks medium roast tastes best. 

I have to say, when done right, the flavors that can be extracted from coffee are amazing. 

Anyway, this is just FYI. And all this is coming from someone who only drinks an occasional cup of decaf, so you can take it all with a grain of salt, lol. 

Yes, I make a small cup of decaf using the pour over method my son gave me. Why bother with all that when no decaf can taste as good as a cup of precision-made pour over? Because decaf needs all the help it can get. What you end up with is not comparable to caffeinated pour over, but you get a really drinkable, nice tasting cup of coffee, as opposed to an obviously decaf bitter cup of something that faintly resembles coffee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, Tree Frog said:

I've used an aeropress since 2014.

23 hours ago, 73349 said:

I've used an Aeropress and liked it

23 hours ago, Anne said:

I love my aeropress

23 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

Hubby loves his Aeropress. 

19 hours ago, lulalu said:

For one or two cups an areopress can't be beat.

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm still undecided. If I could, I would just stick with cold brew. I may do that. Not sure.

If I do decide on a method, I'm leaning towards the Aeropress. For those who use that, do you use a Burr grinder? Also, do you feel the need for an electric kettle with temperature control? 

Sorry to sound so indecisive. I'm at this point in my life where I'm tired of making the wrong decisions when it comes to purchases. It's hard where we live. We can't return things easily at all. 

Since you are thinking through all these things so intensely……

….obviously you are going for the very best taste. 

I’ve never tried an Aeropress…so there’s that caveat…..but…..

IMO these things matter regarding taste:

Using only glass or stainless steel parts.

Distilled water.

The chosen type of beans. (Organic, single origin).

Unbleached paper filters to remove cholesterol. 

I think these factors all affect taste. Considering all this, there’s only one method that I’m aware of that meets the paper filter/all glass parts requirement. That’s Chemex. 

Otherwise, it doesn’t seem you can go wrong with all the above choices. 

See, I think a cup of tea tastes vastly different when made and served in glass and using distilled water. It really does. When my plastic water bottle sits in my car in the summer, I can taste the plastic. Not so with glass. 

So, since you are researching this so deeply, I thought I would mention this. Even my coffee snob son uses plastic parts, much to my chagrin. 

Honestly, I think there’s a good reason why Chemex is, well, made that way. And why it’s so popular. 

Cold brew is made using a glass jar and nothing else. And it tastes great. It’s just not practical sometimes because it hogs the grounds. 

This is ONLY my humble opinion. I’ve always been a stickler for using pure water and glass for making any kind of tea, herbal tea, or coffee.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to like the French Press.   But it only seemed to last for several months and then something would go wrong.  One the glass broke, the next I got a metal carafe and the spring popped out and I couldn't figure out how to get it back together.   Another had something happen to the plunger.   

I then switched to this pour-over.   It has the good parts of the french press but easy cleanup and it travels well.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LK8HLT4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

For me, I didn't want anything with a filter because I wanted all those lovely coffee oils.   But, I don't want the grit either.   When I make a quantity of coffee, I pour most of it in until I get a large amount of grounds, then dump those grounds, then pour the rest and leave it to rest/drip.  

For travel I like that any random container that can hold hot water can work for making coffee.  I take my Yeti coffee cup and the pour-over thingy and that is it.  Well, and coffee.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Using only glass or stainless steel parts.

I think these factors all affect taste. Considering all this, there’s only one method that I’m aware of that meets the paper filter/all glass parts requirement. That’s Chemex. 

See, I think a cup of tea tastes vastly different when made and served in glass and using distilled water. It really does. When my plastic water bottle sits in my car in the summer, I can taste the plastic. Not so with glass. 
Cold brew is made using a glass jar and nothing else. And it tastes great. It’s just not practical sometimes because it hogs the grounds. 
This is ONLY my humble opinion. I’ve always been a stickler for using pure water and glass for making any kind of tea, herbal tea, or coffee.

You've just opened my eyes. All my life, I kept wondering, rolling my eyes, and laughing at the supposed silliness of my Persian family and relatives using glass when making tea. I've always mocked them, since as far as physics goes, the glass being a conductor, making it all hot, and hard to hold in one's hands, etc. Now I see why. It does taste better. Thank you for all your tips. I'm going to look into the Chemex, as well as all the other tips that you so kindly mentioned. 

Thank you to everyone! Feel free to continue posting and sharing your thoughts. I really do appreciate them all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Negin said:

You've just opened my eyes. All my life, I kept wondering, rolling my eyes, and laughing at the supposed silliness of my Persian family and relatives using glass when making tea. I've always mocked them, since as far as physics goes, the glass being a conductor, making it all hot, and hard to hold in one's hands, etc. Now I see why. It does taste better. Thank you for all your tips. I'm going to look into the Chemex, as well as all the other tips that you so kindly mentioned. 

Thank you to everyone! Feel free to continue posting and sharing your thoughts. I really do appreciate them all. 

Chemex is terrific *if* you like most of the coffee's oils filtered out. 

Tastes differ on that issue. My wife and I have a Chemex (more than one, actually) and a pandemic-worthy stockpile of filters on hand, but the truth is that for *us* stripping out the oils negatively affects our enjoyment of the coffee. Less rich, more pallid to our tastes.

So we rarely use our Chemex. But I've kept mine for over 40 years, as filtered over-over coffee has its own thing.

What matters is what YOU like.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

What matters is what YOU like.

Bill, this is my problem. I don't know, and I wish that I did.

I love:

a good, strong Arabic/Turkish coffee

Vietnamese Iced Coffee, and all the high-caloric iced coffee drinks, which are more desserts than anything.

Cold Brew

I hate:

the taste of instant or regular, black (boring, dull) coffee

--

When I have coffee or tea, I must add milk to it. That's about all I know. 

Edited by Negin
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Negin said:

Thank you, Negin! I’m just relieved that you didn’t run away from me rolling your eyes! Lol. We all have our preferences. I think coffee tastes good with the oils in, too, but I love the bright, clean taste that a proper pour over can give, using the paper filter. But of course, you are free to choose. You came here for opinions….so that’s mine, for what it’s worth. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Negin said:

Bill, this is my problem. I don't know, and I wish that I did. I love the taste of a good, strong Arabic/Turkish coffee. I also love Vietnamese Iced Coffee, and all the high-caloric iced coffee drinks, which are more desserts than anything. Also, as mentioned before, I love cold brew. I hate the taste of instant or regular, black (boring, dull) coffee. 

Oh, Negin. If you had a really good pour over coffee black, you see. Oils or not. You’d absolutely ruin it with cream or sugar!!! 😁

I wish I could be of more help with picking out the flavor you might like. I just don’t know enough about that. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Negin said:

Just my personal opinion, but even the drinking container makes a big difference.   I used to have a great-aunt that had the most amazing coffee.   She always claimed she didn't do anything special.  But she had these lovely china cups.  I eventually figured out it was the cups.   My brain just said, "Oooh, special!"    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Negin said:

Bill, this is my problem. I don't know, and I wish that I did. I love the taste of a good, strong Arabic/Turkish coffee. I also love Vietnamese Iced Coffee, and all the high-caloric iced coffee drinks, which are more desserts than anything. Also, as mentioned before, I love cold brew. I hate the taste of instant or regular, black (boring, dull) coffee. 

So Arabic/Turkish is on one end of the spectrum of bold richly-flavored coffee that tend to carry a bit of sediment in the drink. It isn't dull. It isn't "refined." It is flavor packed. If this is your taste then French Press, Moka pot, Arabic/Turkish might suit you better than Chemex or other filtered pour overs. I tend to live on this end of the spectrum myself.

Filtered coffee loses something for my taste and my wife feels the same way.

We typically have French Press. Sometimes Moka pot, and sometimes Arabic coffee.

One interesting method--that almost no one uses and is a minor bother to use and clean, truth told--is the siphon/vacuum method. This style is unique because it produces the cleanest coffee imaginable (almost a tea-like clarity) while not stripping out the oils. Very refined brewing method. At a different extreme than French Press or Moka pot or Arabic. 

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

siphon/vacuum method

One of these!

https://www.amazon.com/Kendal-Tabletop-Siphon-Syphon-Coffee/dp/B01CH4DYZE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=2WSZU76IX8MZZ&keywords=siphon+pot+coffee&qid=1666634565&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjk4IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=siphon+pot%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&psc=1

My son has one. He asked for it years ago for a birthday. He doesn’t use it as much these days. It’s fun to watch coffee being made in these. Such a contraption!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Although less "Victorian" a contraption, I think I'd go for the convenience of a stovetop Yama.

https://www.amazon.com/Yama-Glass-Stovetop-Coffee-Siphon/dp/B002CVTKW4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1S30WBPBNWY71&keywords=siphon+pot+coffee+yama&qid=1666635229&sprefix=siphon+pot+coffee+yama%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

They do produce a unique brew. I've never had coffee that seemed as "refined" and elegant as when using the siphon/vacuum method. Exceptionally "clean" coffee, yet it doesn't strip out any flavor components. Especially great with complex coffees that are medium to medium-light roasted. Very nuanced.

Bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Although less "Victorian" a contraption, I think I'd go for the convenience of a stovetop Yama.

https://www.amazon.com/Yama-Glass-Stovetop-Coffee-Siphon/dp/B002CVTKW4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1S30WBPBNWY71&keywords=siphon+pot+coffee+yama&qid=1666635229&sprefix=siphon+pot+coffee+yama%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

They do produce a unique brew. I've never had coffee that seemed as "refined" and elegant as when using the siphon/vacuum method. Exceptionally "clean" coffee, yet it doesn't strip out any flavor components. Especially great with complex coffees that are medium to medium-light roasted. Very nuanced.

Bill

Very interesting! Now I’m in the mood to go drag all the things needed (that son ordered and stores here) to make a good cup of coffee out of the cabinet so I can use them to make “drinkable” decaf. 

The best coffee I’ve had was/is made by ds. I haven’t traveled anywhere fancy or had exotic types. But I know what you mean by nuanced. It’s worlds different from IHOP or Starbucks. To me, it is so clean and has many complexities. It’s really amazing that coffee can taste that good, and I’m sure there are lots of even better coffee out there. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Very interesting! Now I’m in the mood to go drag all the things needed (that son ordered and stores here) to make a good cup of coffee out of the cabinet so I can use them to make “drinkable” decaf. 

The best coffee I’ve had was/is made by ds. I haven’t traveled anywhere fancy or had exotic types. But I know what you mean by nuanced. It’s worlds different from IHOP or Starbucks. To me, it is so clean and has many complexities. It’s really amazing that coffee can taste that good, and I’m sure there are lots of even better coffee out there. 

I'll be very curious to get your impressions of the siphon/vacuum coffee once you make some yourself.

I used to think that if Queen Elizabeth were to pop over for a visit, that siphon/vacuum method would be my go-to method. Sadly, that ship has sailed.

The udder "cleanliness" and clarity of coffee makes it very special to me (a guy who tends to like "muddy" coffee) especially since it has a very light body while retaining all the complex notes in the nose and taste.

Not the most convenient method, perhaps, but a super-interesting option for those who prefer "clean" coffee that is bright and flavorful.

Will standby for your feedback.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I'll be very curious to get your impressions of the siphon/vacuum coffee once you make some yourself.

I used to think that if Queen Elizabeth were to pop over for a visit, that siphon/vacuum method would be my go-to method. Sadly, that ship has sailed.

The udder "cleanliness" and clarity of coffee makes it very special to me (a guy who tends to like "muddy" coffee) especially since it has a very light body while retaining all the complex notes in the nose and taste.

Not the most convenient method, perhaps, but a super-interesting option for those who prefer "clean" coffee that is bright and flavorful.

Will standby for your feedback.

Bill

Oh, no Bill! Did I give the impression that I was going to go siphon my coffee? Oh dear, I wouldn’t have the slightest idea how to do that. Lol. He has that contraption at his house several states away. I have here a shelf full of pour over stuff. Hand grinder, scale, Chemex-type carafe, goose neck kettle, filters. So he can have coffee when he visits. It’s fun to practice making the coffee to his precise instructions, and the coffee isn’t bad. Much better than any decaf I’ve had.  But the coffee must be fresh. 

I had it all sitting out, but I shoved it all up on a shelf in the cabinet. I’ll get it out when he comes home, unless I make some decaf. I have no other way to make coffee! 

• Like 1