Menu

Anybody else panicking?

Roadrunner

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully mine's accepted into the school she wants, but she still needs to write the scholarship essay, personal statement,  resume, and get LoR from at least 2 people.  Thankfully this one is open until February 1!  She just started an 8 week English 2 class, so that will probably take a lot of her writing energy until December!  

FWIW,  my oldest drove me crazy.  I tried to help.  Refused to help.  Reminded 2x a week, remained silent for 2 weeks.  In the end, I think Senior year is just emotionally hard on some kids.  They get stuck, distracted, overwhelmed, busy- all the feels.  She survived and got a good scholarship.   Prayers for those whose kids are being a bit difficult 🙏 

• Like 8

I let Dd skip a planned English paper this month since she’ll do plenty of writing for scholarship applications. Only two of the five schools she’s applying to require essays for the regular application. She’s been admitted to the other three. They all require an essay for competitive scholarships/honors college though. She has brainstormed for two, but not actually done any writing…

• Like 2

Yep here too x 2 kids 😬🤪!!!

I had to sit on mine to finish their essays.  They said they have another week.  I’m like NOPE!  They are done as of yesterday.

Hoping to be done with all their parts of Common App this weekend and then my stuff goes in.  Will be glad when this part is over!

• Like 7

I just keep putting on my most non-judgemental expression and my most non-judgemental voice tone and asking for status. They are so close, so close!

DS came home from piano this week and said, "hey, piano teacher says it costs money to apply???" Yes, but that doesn't mean you can use that as an excuse to skip that last essay!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Been there three times so far but have a few years off until #4 applies, although I'm helping a kid pro bono and she said "I don't know if I applied to school X yet. Maybe. Maybe not". You have my sincere sympathy. It will work out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My son turned out to have a personal narrative essay for an English class, and he was able to pick a section and use it as his essay with minor changes.

He’s applying to one school with an 80% acceptance rate, which is good, because he’s barely doing what he needs to do for a basic application.  

But his application is turned in and he just needs to have his transcript sent! He turned it in yesterday for a priority deadline of November 1st.  Then there are rolling admissions so I hope he will find out soon!  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I am going to start swallowing a raw egg yolk daily now in anticipation of all the screaming I might need to do over the next two weeks. 

Literally sitting on the couch, writing my guidance letter, laughing out loud.  Thank you!

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I am going to start swallowing a raw egg yolk daily now in anticipation of all the screaming I might need to do over the next two weeks. 

We abandoned early admission. Things are much more relaxed now. 😎 But talk to me in December. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, bibiche said:

We abandoned early admission. Things are much more relaxed now. 😎 But talk to me in December. 

But early action might come with scholarship money. I really want several applications in places where merit $$$ are given to those applying early. 

Also, I don’t have mental power to wait until April for decisions. I need to know he got in somewhere/anywhere by Christmas and be assured that he won’t be sleeping on my couch next Fall. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

But early action might come with scholarship money. I really want several applications in places where merit $$$ are given to those applying early. 

Yes!  We are all early action except for one, but that one doesn’t have an early action option.  I need this part done so we can move on.  Once our first 3 are in by the 1st, the rest will be easy and I want them all in by mid November.

• Like 2

Well, Dd is accepted to two regional state U’s, where our state lottery scholarship and automatic merit aid together will cover her tuition and fees. Competitive scholarships depend on those as yet unwritten essays, plus interviews. Financial aid, of course, will not come out til April.

These are not her first choice options, but she IS in somewhere and we can afford to pay the room and board. So she will have somewhere to go, even if her preferred schools don’t work out. All 5 of her schools are good choices where she could do well and be happy. Working hard here to cultivate a “bloom where you’re planted” mentality.

It is nice to know that in the midst of this craziness! I am glad we are not in the selective school race.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

DD’s EA application was due on Saturday. She started the essays 9 months ago (!) and finished 2 hours before the deadline…

And then once that one was turned in, it immediately set off an avalanche of other schools that would be sooooo easy for her to apply to…

First one is the worst. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Also, I don’t have mental power to wait until April for decisions. I need to know he got in somewhere/anywhere by Christmas and be assured that he won’t be sleeping on my couch next Fall. 

Wow I just said this to Dd because I can’t wait until next year, and I need to know what merit we’re getting and usually that’s better (or more?) through EA. We’re butting heads here. I can’t seem to relay the urgency I feel. 

• Like 2

DS17, homeschooled K-8, now in public school, wrote his college essay for his final last year and got 100%. I thought we were golden.

Nope.

This year, for the first time, he has an English teacher whom he respects, and this English teacher told him it wasn't good enough and he needs to completely rewrite.

Argh.

• Sad 5

11 hours ago, mlktwins said:

You are much nicer than I am at this point 🤣🤣🤣!  I’m so over this!

Just thinking of all of you. If I released my inner feelings the resulting stress bomb would probably distract all of the distractable seniors in the US. I'm imagining the headline: High School Senior Actually Dies From Application Induced Stress - The resulting sinkhole from this stress-induced death is quickly consuming the Midwest and spreading toward both the Appalachians and the Rocky Mountains. Scientists hope the mountain chains will contain the spread, although the psychic damage is continuing to spread rapidly. College Board has issued a statement that there will be no refunds for score reports sent to any schools that have been consumed...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I hear you. Not quite sure how we will survive not having answers before the spring - that early decision was going to determine future actions as well- but it just wasn’t happening. The essays weren’t ready, the department where he wanted most to study imploded, he’s reevaluating other schools based on their over reliance on visiting profs, gap year programs are being more seriously considered… Everything got upended. We kinda decided as a family that the stress wasn’t worth it. It’ll all work out is my new mantra. 

• Like 3

I had a sloth last. year. And the college counselor we hired was worth every single penny I paid her to avoid being the nag. Although I did stress plenty - was this process ever going to be completed?????  

And here I am, back in the midst of the college app again this year with my current senior, who is very engaged in the process. The lack of complacency has led to a steady stream of emotional highs and lows.  Maybe it's a trade-off???  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I agree!  My current senior really understood this when she heard it yet again during an in-person information session.  I guess I didn't use quite the same words and neither did the other admission counselors.  This one said that she had a "boatload" of money for the early applicants.  Turns out "boatload" is a word that gets the attention of teens.  Who knew????  

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Just thinking of all of you. If I released my inner feelings the resulting stress bomb would probably distract all of the distractable seniors in the US. I'm imagining the headline: High School Senior Actually Dies From Application Induced Stress - The resulting sinkhole from this stress-induced death is quickly consuming the Midwest and spreading toward both the Appalachians and the Rocky Mountains. Scientists hope the mountain chains will contain the spread, although the psychic damage is continuing to spread rapidly. College Board has issued a statement that there will be no refunds for score reports sent to any schools that have been consumed...

I totally understand!!!  But if there seems to be ample free time for cell phone perusal and other fun things while mama is stressing out trying to make sure everything gets done - that is when I take a stand 🤣!!!  The worst will be past us soon and we will all be able to breathe for a bit!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, threedogfarm said:

I had a sloth last. year. And the college counselor we hired was worth every single penny I paid her to avoid being the nag. Although I did stress plenty - was this process ever going to be completed?????  

If I had it to do all over again....

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I totally understand!!!  But if there seems to be ample free time for cell phone perusal and other fun things while mama is stressing out trying to make sure everything gets done - that is when I take a stand 🤣!!!  The worst will be past us soon and we will all be able to breathe for a bit!

Definitely looking forward to January when all deadlines have been met. Waiting is easier than this. Dd will have a scholarship competition weekend at her first choice school in February.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

These kids may be parents one day.  They will understand down the road 😁!!!  I hope I am still around to witness some of this fun -- LOL!

I will plan a specially long visit around this time and place myself with popcorn in the living room. 🤣

• Haha 4

I feel for y’all. I had three in five years and no one even applied anywhere high stakes and it was still exhausting. I have a five year break between kids #3 and #4 and I can see I still won’t be ready to do it again.

#4 is in 9th grade now and says she wants to live at home and commute to not very competitive local U. I’m trying to get that commitment locked down somehow. Someway to make the musings of a 14 yo legally binding…lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Everything feels high stakes though. He is writing Indiana University essay (one letter at a time), which should be a safety for him, but it really doesn’t feel like anything is a safety. We though University of Arizona would be one, but friends came back from visiting, and I would rather have him on my couch than send him there after those reports. 

• Sad 4

I had one kid who eagerly did the work to apply to 12 schools, and another who applied to ONE and whom I had to force to also apply to the state flagship as a safety in case finances don't work out.

Was his school the perfect one? No, not with the unexpected major change (for his final major, it wouldn't have been on our list). But it was fine and he got into an excellent grad school. I couldn't have made him apply to more.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

Yep. We had one on our list that responded with a yes within a week. They even sent a giant envelope with huge "Yes!" printed on the front. It was surprisingly helpful to our stress levels. 

One still needs to finish common app one application or fifty. 😉

21 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Don’t get salmonella and drop dead before you finish your guidance letter. Only cooked eggs until then. 

(before anyone jumps on my neck, RR is familiar with my sense of humor). 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Our state one is worst than Common App by far. 

Depends on the kid of course, but I thought our state app was kind of a relief. We’ve been told over and over that they want the facts on the essays. Content, not style. Tell, not show. Details, examples—who you are, what you’ve done, why you’ve done it. No worry about entertaining an AO, having a great hook in the first line, etc.

So straightforward, thank goodness!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

Depends on the kid of course, but I thought our state app was kind of a relief. We’ve been told over and over that they want the facts on the essays. Content, not style. Tell, not show. Details, examples—who you are, what you’ve done, why you’ve done it. No worry about entertaining an AO, having a great hook in the first line, etc.

I wish somebody had told us that because mine took a complete opposite approach to them. 

On 10/21/2022 at 7:33 AM, EmilyGF said:

DS17, homeschooled K-8, now in public school, wrote his college essay for his final last year and got 100%. I thought we were golden.

Nope.

This year, for the first time, he has an English teacher whom he respects, and this English teacher told him it wasn't good enough and he needs to completely rewrite.

Argh.

Does this English teacher have much experience reading and evaluating college admissions essays? What makes an effective application essay isn't always what makes a good English essay. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

Dd has done two state U apps. No essay at all. Just data, scores, and transcript. Acceptance notification within a week. Lovely! 

Competitive scholarships/Honors College apps for these U’s do require essays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Dd has done two state U apps. No essay at all. Just data, scores, and transcript. Acceptance notification within a week. Lovely! 

Competitive scholarships/Honors College apps for these U’s do require essays.

Our state has four essays on it’s app. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Does this English teacher have much experience reading and evaluating college admissions essays? What makes an effective application essay isn't always what makes a good English essay. 

I expect he knows something, since it is a top-50 public school and they make a big deal out of helping the seniors with their essays. But he probably knows more than me!

And we'd ask for more feedback on the new draft, but he's on family leave right now for the next five weeks.