Menu

NEED ADVICE ASAP - baking professionals and wannabes

sheryl

My sister and her husband will be coming to town in the next 2 weeks.  They have a milestone wedding anniversary coming up soon.  I'm planning on a little celebration.  DH and I will take them out to dinner and I thought of a decorated cake.  Was planning on buying one but I can not find what I want "exactly".  It's tricky because -

1.  Sister just found out she's diabetic

2.  She's allergic to almonds and raspberries that can be typical in baked goods

So, I NEED ideas from y'all TODAY please b/c I need to turn this around quickly.   The one bakery here needs only 48 hours notice and they come highly recommended.  I've spoken with them but they won't seem to minimize the the icing on the cake.

QUESTIONS -

1.  Is royal, buttercream icings the only icings to decorate with?  Because they are stiff from setting up with that butter! Right?  If I buy a custom cake then I don't know if she would scrap most/all of the icing off.  I hope she would and have a very thin slice.  
2.  Do I consider the other people eating the cake?  The rest of us can have a small slice but none of us will want a big slice.  
3.  Do I skip the decorating icing (wanted to add script of "Happy Anniversary") for a mousse?  
4.  Do I make the cake myself so I can apply a thin layer of icing and do scant decorating as well as my attempt of scripting piped icing.  I've done it a few times but it will not look professional.   
5.  Skip the cake?  Just wanted to have a food there to celebrate with a few family members.  Adding script HAPPY ANNIVERSARY is a bonus.

OTHER?  

Cakes and celebrations just go together.   If there is ANY way to keep cake idea or some dessert onto which I can pipe this phrase would you please let me know?  Will need link with excellent tutorial. 

Thanks!

Edited by sheryl

Hey, did you know that screenreaders often can't cope with text in all caps? For some stupid reason they read text in all caps out letter by letter. Which means that people who use screenreaders have to endure hearing these words spelled out.

Even if nobody here uses a screenreader, text in all caps is also harder to read. Can you please not do that?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

What about a Pavlova covered in fruit (obviously not raspberries)?

OK, for you and everyone.  I don't know what a Pavlova is.  Please tell.  Link?

5 minutes ago, Danae said:

If you make a less sugary dessert you can make a little banner on toothpicks that says happy anniversary instead of piping it.  

I'm relying on y'all to help with specific idea.  Love the banner idea.  Link?

2 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Hey, did you know that screenreaders often can't cope with text in all caps? For some stupid reason they read text in all caps out letter by letter. Which means that people who use screenreaders have to endure hearing these words spelled out.

Even if nobody here uses a screenreader, text in all caps is also harder to read. Can you please not do that?

I didn't know that.  Sorry about that and will do!  Thanks for lmk!

18 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Cakes and celebrations just go together. 

Not necessarily, if someone is diabetic. Do you know what your sister would actually like and could reasonably enjoy? (I know under some circumstances people with diabetes can enjoy some desserts but do you know that about your sister? If she is recently diagnosed, does she even know?)

Pavlova:   https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/pavlova/

What is pavlova? Pavlova is a dessert popular in New Zealand and Australia. It’s not as common here in the states, but I hope to help change that! A texture lover’s dream come true, pavlova is made from egg whites that are slowly baked in a relatively cool oven. The egg whites take on a chewy-crisp texture on top, a soft marshmallow texture inside, and a crunchy crisp texture around the edges. That’s three completely different textures in one single bite. The crunchy edges are just like meringue cookies.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just order the cake as is with frosting. She can choose to remove or limit the frosting herself. 

I wouldn't write on a mousse. An adult doesn't really need that anyways. Get a pick that says what you want at a decorating store or ask the bakery if they have one. 

Another lighter option, is to have them use a whipped cream topping. It will need to be refrigerated like the mousse tho. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tap said:

Just order the cake as is with frosting. She can choose to remove or limit the frosting herself. 

I wouldn't write on a mousse. An adult doesn't really need that anyways. Get a pick that says what you want at a decorating store or ask the bakery if they have one. 

Another lighter option, is to have them use a whipped cream topping. It will need to be refrigerated like the mousse tho. 

Right.  I may go this route.  I am going to read these replies and decide.  The baker won't change the icing.  I explained the situation.  I don't understand why they won't since this would be a custom cake.     ????  I have not bought a custom cake before so I'm venturing into new territory here.  Need by Oct 28 or 29 so I need to decide quickly.

• sheryl changed the title to NEED ADVICE ASAP - baking professionals and wannabes

Just make the cake the usual way.  She will choose how to eat it or not. Not all diabetics choose to do things the same way.  One of my close friend’s would feel very funny that you customize it on her behalf.  She would be like I can handle the cake as is. She tells you flat out that she can knows what to do and don’t change anything for her.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Now I'm considering I bake a favorite cake of hers found in our Mother's/Grandmother's recipe book and custom the frosting.   Good idea or no?  

How about something relatively healthy like a carrot cake with nuts she can have baked in a fancy Bundt pan. Then either no frosting or just a very light decorative drizzle of thin icing.

Edited by Frances
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Right.  I may go this route.  I am going to read these replies and decide.  The baker won't change the icing.  I explained the situation.  I don't understand why they won't since this would be a custom cake.     ????  I have not bought a custom cake before so I'm venturing into new territory here.  Need by Oct 28 or 29 so I need to decide quickly.

They won't modify it too much, because to professionally decorate a cake, there needs to be a certain amount of frosting to make it look its best. If you try to go too thin, with a butter cream or cream cheese icing, then it will get crumbs mixed in and make the cake look messy. Frosting is also one way how bakers quickly level out any inconsistencies in cake shape.  You can't do this with a thin layer of frosting. You can ask if they do a 'skim coat cake'. But that is where part of the cake shows through. I am not sure if that is what you want or not. 

• Thanks 2

Have you looked at Bundt cakes? They are iced instead of frosted. That is much thinner. There are bakeries in my town that just do Bundt cakes but they are also easy to make with a Bundt pan.

Have you considered pie or cheesecake? I prefer pie to cake and ask for that for my birthday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Just make the cake the usual way.  She will choose how to eat it or not. Not all diabetics choose to do things the same way.  One of my close friend’s would feel very funny that you customize it on her behalf.  She would be like I can handle the cake as is. She tells you flat out that she can knows what to do and don’t change anything for her.  

Yes, she may fall in to that category.  So many considerations.  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Frances said:

How about something relatively healthy like a carrot cake with nuts she can have baked in a fancy Bundt pan. Then either no frosting or just a very light decorative drizzle.

The carrot cake, yes.  We do have a recipe for that that's been in the family for years.   I think that it's a great recipe and would reserve that for another event.  Thanks for the reminder!

8 minutes ago, Tap said:

They won't modify it too much, because to professionally decorate a cake, there needs to be a certain amount of frosting to make it look its best. If you try to go too thin, with a butter cream or cream cheese icing, then it will get crumbs mixed in and make the cake look messy. Frosting is also one way how bakers quickly level out any inconsistencies in cake shape.  You can't do this with a thin layer of frosting. You can ask if they do a 'skim coat cake'. But that is where part of the cake shows through. I am not sure if that is what you want or not. 

Yep.  They do create a skim coat cake that is called watercolor.  I know it's just the name but my sister/her dh love the ocean - water.  đŸ™‚Â 

5 minutes ago, Tap said:

Have you looked at Bundt cakes? They are iced instead of frosted. That is much thinner. There are bakeries in my town that just do Bundt cakes but they are also easy to make with a Bundt pan.

Have you considered pie or cheesecake? I prefer pie to cake and ask for that for my birthday. 

Bundt is good but I will probably not go that route for this.   But, a pie or cheesecake are both excellent ideas too!  đŸ™‚Â Â 

If you want to cut down on the sugar specifically in the frosting, then I agree with others who suggest a bundt with just a drizzle or a glaze. 

You could also bake your regular round layers (maybe go with something like a carrot cake or a banana walnut cake that could incorporate nuts for some protein to balance the sugar), use a little frosting to hold the layers together and then dust the top with powdered sugar. (Try hitting Google for "naked cake" to see what I mean.)  Bonus points for using a stencil to make a design with the powdered sugar. Add some fresh fruit and a "Happy Anniversary" pick, and it'll look lovely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

If you want to cut down on the sugar specifically in the frosting, then I agree with others who suggest a bundt with just a drizzle or a glaze. 

You could also bake your regular round layers (maybe go with something like a carrot cake or a banana walnut cake that could incorporate nuts for some protein to balance the sugar), use a little frosting to hold the layers together and then dust the top with powdered sugar. (Try hitting Google for "naked cake" to see what I mean.)  Bonus points for using a stencil to make a design with the powdered sugar. Add some fresh fruit and a "Happy Anniversary" pick, and it'll look lovely.

I won't be using a bundt for this particular occasion.  But, like your ideas with cake and nut batter.  My dusting with powdered sugar doesn't seem to work well.  But, I've not done it often.  

Just now, rebcoola said:

You could ask if they do naked cakes it's a decorative look where you can see the cake through the frosting. It uses less frosting but on purpose for the look so they maybe more willing.

Yes, noted.   The one baker does make a naked cake.  Thanks much!  

If I were making a cake for a recently-diagnosed diabetic, I would really try to have something that is low sugar and diabetic friendly, like a dark chocolate mouse or a rich but not too sweet cake topped with very lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh strawberries (which are low glycemic). Something like this:

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 11.04.54 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

If I were making a cake for a recently-diagnosed diabetic, I would really try to have something that is low sugar and diabetic friendly, like a dark chocolate mouse or a rich but not too sweet cake topped with very lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh strawberries (which are low glycemic). Something like this:

Someone suggested a French bakery not far from us.  Their menu looks amazing and similar to your suggestion so I may go that route

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

If I were making a cake for a recently-diagnosed diabetic, I would really try to have something that is low sugar and diabetic friendly, like a dark chocolate mouse or a rich but not too sweet cake topped with very lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh strawberries (which are low glycemic).

My 12yo went to a birthday party and came home talking incessantly about the cake.  It was a homemade chocolate cake and lightly sweetened whipped cream served with it.  He insists I have to do the same for his birthday.

I'll say if it pleases a 12yo wanna-be foodie, it's probably a great direction to go for grownups. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I think this is the right thought. Low sugar. Low carb (because carbs convert to sugar). High protein. Because it’s depressing to eat just a thin slice of your own celebration item—so make it totally diabetic friendly.

I would not attempt a frosting decoration. Go with either edible flowers or non-edible stuff you can put on top like signs or figurines or some combination thereof.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Thanks 1

I really wouldn't choose a sweet dessert as a way to "celebrate" a special occasion for a newly diabetic person. (I'd even hesitate to do it for an established diabetic with whom I could discuss, "What kinds of treats really work for you?" Or, maybe I could ask if they are the kind of diabetic who can have a high-sugar food and compensate simply by changing their dose. If they were well-established.)

But for a newly diabetic person --  If I was that person, I'd really be hurt. I'd feel like, "So, to celebrate supposedly-me, I get to watch all of you chow down on something I can't enjoy more than a mouthful of, possibly ever again? How is this fun?"

Can you celebrate in a not-sweet, or not-food way? Is there an "everybody loves bacon" kind of way to make an indulgent-feeling savory food into a celebration? Or not food at all? Like a sidewalk chalk mural, or balloon bouquets, or something?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

As someone who has been diabetic for a long time, I’d just ask your sister.  She may have fantastic glucose control, especially if she’s on some of the newer medication(I am assuming T2D here), and a piece of cake would be fine. Or she may find that any sugar/carbs and her meds make her feel sick, or she needs to offset it with some protein, or any number of things. 

with the newer GLP-1 agonist drugs, I’ve been able to eat a reasonably sized slice of cake with very little impact to my blood sugars.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Because she is newly diagnosed, and the cake is for her anniversarry, I would go with something diabetic-friendly at a minimum. 

I'd still be reluctant to have a specific food intended for her to eat, though. Instead of food, why not print some fun and special photos? You can make a small photo board for the 'special' bit if you like, and then have some loose photos to pass around. 

3 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Just make the cake the usual way.  She will choose how to eat it or not.  

It's not really 'for' her if she isn't comfortable eating it. A cake for someone else's birthday, when a diabetic just so happens to be present? Sure. A cake for a diabetic, newly diagnosed, who might have to choose not to eat it? Not so much. 

I'd cut to the chase and ask sis if there's any celebratory/special food that she likes and knows she can eat. Once you know what the food item is, you figure out how to make it look special (which might mean a sign attached to the dish, maybe with their photo, as opposed to something on the food like icing). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

My 12yo went to a birthday party and came home talking incessantly about the cake.  It was a homemade chocolate cake and lightly sweetened whipped cream served with it.  He insists I have to do the same for his birthday.

I'll say if it pleases a 12yo wanna-be foodie, it's probably a great direction to go for grownups. 

Yes, I've been considering whipped something.  Thanks!  đŸ™‚Â 

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I think this is the right thought. Low sugar. Low carb (because carbs convert to sugar). High protein. Because it’s depressing to eat just a thin slice of your own celebration item—so make it totally diabetic friendly.

I would not attempt a frosting decoration. Go with either edible flowers or non-edible stuff you can put on top like signs or figurines or some combination thereof.

Edible flowers.  Nice.  I've bought them 1 time!  Thanks!

4 hours ago, bolt. said:

I really wouldn't choose a sweet dessert as a way to "celebrate" a special occasion for a newly diabetic person. (I'd even hesitate to do it for an established diabetic with whom I could discuss, "What kinds of treats really work for you?" Or, maybe I could ask if they are the kind of diabetic who can have a high-sugar food and compensate simply by changing their dose. If they were well-established.)

But for a newly diabetic person --  If I was that person, I'd really be hurt. I'd feel like, "So, to celebrate supposedly-me, I get to watch all of you chow down on something I can't enjoy more than a mouthful of, possibly ever again? How is this fun?"

Can you celebrate in a not-sweet, or not-food way? Is there an "everybody loves bacon" kind of way to make an indulgent-feeling savory food into a celebration? Or not food at all? Like a sidewalk chalk mural, or balloon bouquets, or something?

See below

3 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

As someone who has been diabetic for a long time, I’d just ask your sister.  She may have fantastic glucose control, especially if she’s on some of the newer medication(I am assuming T2D here), and a piece of cake would be fine. Or she may find that any sugar/carbs and her meds make her feel sick, or she needs to offset it with some protein, or any number of things. 

with the newer GLP-1 agonist drugs, I’ve been able to eat a reasonably sized slice of cake with very little impact to my blood sugars.

Agree.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, happi duck said:

Happy Anniversary written in melted chocolate on the platter and a selection of fruit especially berries.  A lightly sweetened Greek yogurt based dip could go with it too.

Very creative!

2 hours ago, katilac said:

Because she is newly diagnosed, and the cake is for her anniversarry, I would go with something diabetic-friendly at a minimum. 

I'd still be reluctant to have a specific food intended for her to eat, though. Instead of food, why not print some fun and special photos? You can make a small photo board for the 'special' bit if you like, and then have some loose photos to pass around. 

It's not really 'for' her if she isn't comfortable eating it. A cake for someone else's birthday, when a diabetic just so happens to be present? Sure. A cake for a diabetic, newly diagnosed, who might have to choose not to eat it? Not so much. 

I'd cut to the chase and ask sis if there's any celebratory/special food that she likes and knows she can eat. Once you know what the food item is, you figure out how to make it look special (which might mean a sign attached to the dish, maybe with their photo, as opposed to something on the food like icing). 

Bolt and Katilac,  My sister is newly diagnosed but is a quick study on the subject.  She's working with a nutritionist as well.  I do appreciate your concern here so please don't misinterpret.  But, there are biggie issues if a person can't "gauge" a dessert now and then.   We will all enjoy a small deck of cards size slice of dessert.   She eats desserts but adjusts so she "allows" for it.  I can not ask her b/c it's a surprise.  This is "for" my sister but her husband as well so I'm taking 2 people in to acct. "mostly".  She just made 2 cheesecakes using sugar.  Not a substitute but the amount is scant in the whole recipe.  She'll have a small slice.  We went out to lunch 2 weeks ago and she ordered dessert.   So, I'm not worried about the deck of cards size of dessert.  It's about portion control, knowing her numbers and her limit.  

I do appreciate your help and just wanted to explain further.

• Like 2

I don’t find them super attractive but a common thing is these naked cakes where they don’t frost the outside, just the inside layers. Google naked cake if I’m not making sense. 

I think it’s super easy to avoid almond in cake — because I hate it lol I always use vanilla extract instead. Alternatively you can use other flavors. 

You could do cookies or cupcakes or something where one is different than the others. 

Ask the couple their preference. Is it a surprise?? 

When I frost my own cupcakes I do not pipe it on like bakeries. I hate all that height. It’s too much. 

When I hear royal icing I think cookies. Buttercream can be cookies or cakes. Alternatively you can do ganache. But there will probably be a thin layer of buttercream or cool whip type topping on any cake. Even if you wrap in fondant there will be icing as glue under. 

Maybe certain airy whipped toppings aren’t as sweet. 

You could just not do a cake at all and have a spread with misc items (meat, crackers, fruit, cupcakes, etc) and people just take what they want. Dessert wouldn’t have to be focal point. Just one of the choices. Banner on wall or balloons instead of a topper on dessert. 

• Thanks 1

There are multiple people in my family and in-laws with diabetes. Each one has a completely different approach toward managing their sugar. One just changes insulin dose. She eats dessert often but it can’t be a surprise because it changes carbs for previous meals. Another only eats sugarfree fake sugar products. I would discuss with your sister ahead of time. 

• Thanks 1

I am not diabetic, but I avoid sugar and carbs because diabetes runs in my family.  My absolute favorite special occasion cake is America’s Test Kitchen’s flourless chocolate cake.  No artificial sweeteners and it can be made very low carb if you use 80% or higher chocolate.  It just has baking chocolate, eggs, butter, and coffee (can be decaf, if that is a problem).  It uses a springform pan, and looks impressive.  It’s rich and decadent, and everyone loves it. Best of all, it’s super easy to make.  http://primopezzo.com/intense-and-silky-flourless-chocolate-cake-from-cooks-illustrated/

Edited by Amy in KS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Another option could be strawberries dipped in dark chocolate and drizzled with little white chocolate; they look gorgeous, taste amazing, and feel like a special treat, even though they're pretty healthy and low glycemic compared to most desserts.

I had gestational diabetes, and chocolate covered strawberries were a special treat!  I could manage a couple of chocolate covered strawberries, or strawberries with unsweetened whipped cream, more easily than just the strawberries by themselves.  

I would have had as much, if not more trouble, with most cakes than I would with the icing.  The fat in the icing would help.  The carbs in many cakes would exceed the carbs in the icing.

Could you do an ice cream cake with no sugar added ice cream?

• Thanks 1

I didn't read the entire thread (it would be better not to offer cake to a diabetic at all, in my opinion, as I have many diabetics in my family and that is what we do).

But, for a newly diagnosed diabetic, if you insist on a cake for them, you could make a Keto Cake with a monk fruit based sweetener. This is the option that is as close to no-carb/non-sugary/"natural" as I can think of. There are commercial cake mixes for Keto-Monkfruit cakes available (Lakanto brand mixes are available on Amazon or WholeFoods) or you can find a keto cake recipe online that uses monk fruit.

https://www.lakanto.com/products/cake-mix

https://www.lakanto.com/blogs/recipes/instant-pot-keto-birthday-cake?_pos=13&_sid=330274d62&_ss=r

https://www.lakanto.com/blogs/recipes/sugar-free-classic-carrot-cake-no-added-sugar

Edited by mathnerd
  • Thanks 1

I had another thought - what about a tiramisu?

The savoiardi are lightly sweetened but you can check the package of them against the sugar in say, a cake, and you can adjust the sweetness of the marscapone and cream without issue.  It has a wow factor but contains protein and adjustable carbs, and is rich enough to stop at a single piece and feel sated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My advice is that whatever you do, share the dessert surprise with her BEFORE you go out to dinner. That way, she can account for the carbs or otherwise prepare for the dessert when she chooses what to eat at dinner. So, have the cake displayed on the table or kitchen counter in a lovely way, give her a hug, tell her it's for later.

Unless you are extremely close, and she shares everything with you, she likely has feelings about her diabetic diet that she is not sharing with you. Some of my feelings -- worry about what I could eat, grief and sadness, and the desire NOT to have other people watching what I choose to eat in an attempt to monitor my diet for me. Choosing what to eat in a restaurant can also be tricky, and it's not always about what I choose to order but also can be about what I really wanted but couldn't have, or what looks good on the other person's plate.

You cannot control any of this emotional stuff for her. But you can help by letting her know ahead of time that there will be dessert later IF she wants some.

Just choose a lovely dessert and let her decide how much to eat. Don't bring up her diabetes during the evening but let her handle it.

It's sweet that you care about her in this way.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I had gestational diabetes, and chocolate covered strawberries were a special treat!  I could manage a couple of chocolate covered strawberries, or strawberries with unsweetened whipped cream, more easily than just the strawberries by themselves.  

I would have had as much, if not more trouble, with most cakes than I would with the icing.  The fat in the icing would help.  The carbs in many cakes would exceed the carbs in the icing.

Could you do an ice cream cake with no sugar added ice cream?

Well, because I have to turn this around quickly and I have much going on right now, I'm more than likely going to buy this little rectangular tiramisu from our local specialty store.  There are no raspberries or almonds - they printed off the ingredient list for me.  I would like to sprinkle chopped walnuts on top but that would probably not be acceptable.  The walnut would add a crunch but it would help offset.  I don't know if she's eaten sugar-free ice cream.  She's managing her condition well.  As I said, she'll eat dessert here and there so this small portion should be just fine.  Thanks!

14 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I had another thought - what about a tiramisu?

The savoiardi are lightly sweetened but you can check the package of them against the sugar in say, a cake, and you can adjust the sweetness of the marscapone and cream without issue.  It has a wow factor but contains protein and adjustable carbs, and is rich enough to stop at a single piece and feel sated.

Yes, I saw this reply earlier today and am just now responding.  I am getting the tiramisu.  It will be fine.  Each piece will end up being about the size of a deck of cards.  Mascarpone is delightful.  Would it be weird to sprinkle chopped walnuts on top. Yay or nay? 

10 hours ago, Storygirl said:

My advice is that whatever you do, share the dessert surprise with her BEFORE you go out to dinner. That way, she can account for the carbs or otherwise prepare for the dessert when she chooses what to eat at dinner. So, have the cake displayed on the table or kitchen counter in a lovely way, give her a hug, tell her it's for later.

Unless you are extremely close, and she shares everything with you, she likely has feelings about her diabetic diet that she is not sharing with you. Some of my feelings -- worry about what I could eat, grief and sadness, and the desire NOT to have other people watching what I choose to eat in an attempt to monitor my diet for me. Choosing what to eat in a restaurant can also be tricky, and it's not always about what I choose to order but also can be about what I really wanted but couldn't have, or what looks good on the other person's plate.

You cannot control any of this emotional stuff for her. But you can help by letting her know ahead of time that there will be dessert later IF she wants some.

Just choose a lovely dessert and let her decide how much to eat. Don't bring up her diabetes during the evening but let her handle it.

It's sweet that you care about her in this way.

Yes, those are also good points.  We are close.  We share quite a bit.  I know she "was" stressed out when she first learned she has it but she's quickly studied, met with her dr, working with nutritionist, etc.  She does not want any of us to not order what we want.  She usually has seafood for dinner out.   I can NOT NOT tell her about the cake.   This is for my bil too.  Due to circumstances we'll have dinner out one night and probably have dessert the next night.  But, she knows her limits.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

If you do decide to use a sugar alternative- please let everyone know.  Sugar alternatives can be an gi issue for some especially those with IBS or other related gi issues. 

Will not be using a sugar alternative.  Buying tiramisu.  đŸ™‚Â Â 

8 hours ago, sheryl said:

Yes, I saw this reply earlier today and am just now responding.  I am getting the tiramisu.  It will be fine.  Each piece will end up being about the size of a deck of cards.  Mascarpone is delightful.  Would it be weird to sprinkle chopped walnuts on top. Yay or nay? 

Why on earth would you do that?  

9 hours ago, sheryl said:

It isn't something I would be comfortable with, but I'm sensitive to textures.  Part of the draw for me with tiramisu is the heavenly thick creaminess of it. Paired with a strong cup of black coffee, it's one of my favorite desserts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sheryl said:

I don’t eat tiramisu ( I hate coffee) but that would ruin the dessert to me.  I eat several desserts ( eclair cake is very close to tiramisu) that are like tiramisu and I want to enjoy the rich, thick creaminess of it.  

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:08 AM, itsheresomewhere said:

If you do decide to use a sugar alternative- please let everyone know.  Sugar alternatives can be an gi issue for some especially those with IBS or other related gi issues. 

Yes, I'd want to know. I rarely eat sugar alternatives as it seems they are usually compensating with something like aspartame or sucralose. I avoid foods with those. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Yes, I'd want to know. I rarely eat sugar alternatives as it seems they are usually compensating with something like aspartame or sucralose. I avoid foods with those. 

Right, I don't eat the yucky chemicals either.  I have the ingredient list and all is good!