Menu

FYI - if you have a cat . . . .

gardenmom5

5 minutes ago, lmrich said:

oh no!

We had a cat who very much loved one of our daughters, and the cat brought presents to her bed!

we're getting reluctant to leave a door open for him.  In the last 10 days - he's brought (or tried to) bring three (living) rabbits in the house.   

he's also brought in two mice.  One - was dead under the dining room table.  The other trapped itself in a box before I found out about it.  I didn't know there was a second one . . . . I put it outside.  I'm trying to explain to him, -  he'd better kill them outside. . . . 

Edited by gardenmom5

I was out walking in the neighborhood and saw a neighbor's cat take a rabbit. He headed across the porch and disappeared around the corner of the house. I considered going and knocking on the door to warn them but wasn't 100% that was the right house...Maybe the cat crept on from the backyard. But I felt bad for them if say a kid went out on the back porch to find the small dead rabbit. 

What say you cat people? Should I have chanced the wrong house to warn them? 

54 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

I was out walking in the neighborhood and saw a neighbor's cat take a rabbit. He headed across the porch and disappeared around the corner of the house. I considered going and knocking on the door to warn them but wasn't 100% that was the right house...Maybe the cat crept on from the backyard. But I felt bad for them if say a kid went out on the back porch to find the small dead rabbit. 

What say you cat people? Should I have chanced the wrong house to warn them? 

Nah, chances are if the cat did this once he does it a lot. We used to have a cat that left us daily presents. We always knew to look. 

• Like 1

As a kid, our indoor cat left a present of a almost dead bird in the middle of the living room floor.  If it hadn't seen my foot coming and made a noise I would have stepped on it.  There was a small gap under the garage door and the bird must have come in.   

Not just cats though.   The last time we boarded our dog, mice moved in.   Our dog killed one and left it in the living room for us.   It was all wet from being in her mouth so it looked like poop. I reacted like it was poop (which wasn't a problem with this dog)   I felt horrible later.   I'd rather get a dead mouse as a present than have a live one in the house.  

3 hours ago, Emba said:

My cat hunts a lot but I guess he doesn’t love me. He just eats what he catches. I think I’m fine with that.

Maybe he doesn't like the food you buy for him . . . 

3 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

As a kid, our indoor cat left a present of a almost dead bird in the middle of the living room floor.  If it hadn't seen my foot coming and made a noise I would have stepped on it.  There was a small gap under the garage door and the bird must have come in.   

Not just cats though.   The last time we boarded our dog, mice moved in.   Our dog killed one and left it in the living room for us.   It was all wet from being in her mouth so it looked like poop. I reacted like it was poop (which wasn't a problem with this dog)   I felt horrible later.   I'd rather get a dead mouse as a present than have a live one in the house.  

as gross as animal poop is to step on, this was more gross when I realized what happened.  My throat is still slightly sore from screaming. 

we had a mice problem in our garage for several years - but they never got in the house.  Dh did traps and baits of various types, and barely put a dent in the population.  Every once in a while, there'd be a "big stink" because one got trapped somewhere and died. . . 

I got a rolling log trap to go over a 5 gal bucket, baited with peanut butter.  In four months - we caught 30 mice (including four that were in 1ds's car and did $eek$ damage.  We'll NEVER buy another Nissan!  1dd had the same mouse damage in her camry from parking it outside, and it cost half as much to fix)  and that seemed to be the last of them.  we keep it "up and running" in the winter, and might catch a couple that manage to get in the garage over the winter.