Menu

Would Friendly Biology be considered college prep?

5 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

Or any of the "Friendly" courses. I'm looking a a college prep that is budget friendly and easy to implement and easy to understand. This looks good by my son wants to be sure it would prepare him if he wants to go to college. He's in 10th grade. Thanks!

I used Friendly Biology last year with my 9th grader (who is likely not college bound). No, I wouldn't consider it college prep. 

• Like 1

When you say "college prep"... What exactly do you mean?

If you mean: is it 1.0 credit of Biology? -- because you know colleges typically want 3-4 credits of high school Science with labs for as part of their admission requirements, and the student is NOT planning to take any college Biology courses even as the Natural Science gen. ed. course...

Then, probably yes. While light/not-rigorous, and meant for non-STEM high school students who either struggle with science or just need to check that box in order to apply to the average college, Friendly Biology would likely check that box.

If you mean: will it prepare a student for college-level Biology courses? -- because your student will be going into a STEM field...
Then, no. Friendly Biology will probably not provide enough coverage at enough depth to work as solid prep for stepping directly into future Biology courses.

Edited by Lori D.

My kids are using/have used the Friendly science courses. Mine are college bound… but for art and something plant related. Neither are strong academically, and I basically wanted something that would teach the basics in a way they could remember. So far, I’m happy enough with it. I think a few Wondrium courses rounds it out nicely.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:12 PM, Lori D. said:

When you say "college prep"... What exactly do you mean?

If you mean: is it 1.0 credit of Biology? -- because you know colleges typically want 3-4 credits of high school Science with labs for as part of their admission requirements, and the student is NOT planning to take any college Biology courses even as the Natural Science gen. ed. course...

Then, probably yes. While light/not-rigorous, and meant for non-STEM high school students who either struggle with science or just need to check that box in order to apply to the average college, Friendly Biology would likely check that box.

If you mean: will it prepare a student for college-level Biology courses? -- because your student will be going into a STEM field...
Then, no. Friendly Biology will probably not provide enough coverage at enough depth to work as solid prep for stepping directly into future Biology courses.

My son wants to take courses that would be ncaa approved in case he decides to play ball in college. He's not interested in anything science related. I just want to be sure the courses he takes would likely be college prep so it would be approved by ncaa. He's in 10th grade this year. He's been homeschooled all his life but wanted to try public high school. It lasted for 5 weeks and wanted to come home. Now I'm trying to come up with courses for him.

Edited by Mom28kds

15 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

My son wants to take courses that would be ncaa approved in case he decides to play ball in college. He's not interested in anything science related. I just want to be sure the courses he takes would likely be college prep so it would be approved by ncaa. He's in 10th grade this year. He's been homeschooled all his life but wanted to try public high school. It lasted for 5 weeks and wanted to come home. Now I'm trying to come up with courses for him.

Ug. "NCAA approved" is a whole special thing.

The 16 core credit courses required by NCAA all have to be done with text/materials or online course providers that NCAA approves of. From past years of seeing posters here go through the NCAA process, it seems like very traditional/standard textbook programs, or certain online courses, are what are most frequently accepted by NCAA to meet their requirements.

Division I and II requirements: the 16 core courses
4 years of English
3 years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
2 years of natural/physical science
1 year must be lab science if your school offers it
1 additional year of English, math or natural/physical science
2 years of social science
4 additional years of English, math, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy

You must complete 10 of the core courses by the end of your junior year (before the start of your seventh semester). Seven of the 10 core courses need to be in English, math or natural/physical science. The grades in these seven courses will be “locked in,” meaning you will not be allowed to retake them to improve your grades.

You might put out a separate thread for advice about NCAA approved courses. There's also a number on the linked NCAA webpage that you could try to see if they can give you info about homeschoolers -- several years back, NCAA did away with the homeschooling liaison, but what with so many students at home or switching to homeschooling during COVID, they may have someone back in that position again.

Here are some OLDER threads on NCAA (all of these threads, plus more, are linked on PAGE 4 of the big thread "College Motherlode", pinned at the top of the WTM College Board). So, things have likely changed since these threads, but these might give you a starting point:

Overview topics
NCAA Eligibility Center: our experience (personal experience) — Sept 11 2018
A high school athlete’s journey (personal experiences over 18 months of the process) — Jan 23 2012
NCAA follow up (continuation of above thread) — Jan 14 2014

NCAA and Homeschoolers
Warning: NCAA Eliminated the Homeschool Department -- Aug 15 2017,
Navigating NCAA and planning high school - help, please! -- Oct 24 2014
Moms of athletes: talk to me about NCAA requirements — Dec 4 2015

Eligibility: Core Requirements / Transcripts / Records
NCAA Div I transcripts (what is the NCAA process?) — Jan 20 2016
NCAA homeschool requirements (transcript and core requirements) — Oct 14 2015

Approved / Not Approved coursework
NCAA and planning ahead (approved courses?) — Feb 3 2018
NCAA (approved classes) — Mar 4 2015
DS and NCAA (does NCAA allow you to count credits from middle school) -- Jan 22 2015
NCCA: help (acceptable courses? Common Core required?) — July 22 2015
NCAA rejects K12 courses — April 28 2015

Edited by Lori D.

3 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Ug. "NCAA approved" is a whole special thing.

The 16 core credit courses required by NCAA all have to be done with text/materials or online course providers that NCAA approves of. From past years of seeing posters here go through the NCAA process, it seems like very traditional/standard textbook programs, or certain online courses, are what are most frequently accepted by NCAA to meet their requirements.

Division I and II requirements:  16 core courses
4 years of English
3 years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
2 years of natural/physical science
1 year must be lab science if your school offers it
1 additional year of English, math or natural/physical science
2 years of social science
4 additional years of English, math, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy

You must complete 10 of the core courses by the end of your junior year (before the start of your seventh semester). Seven of the 10 core courses need to be in English, math or natural/physical science. The grades in these seven courses will be “locked in,” meaning you will not be allowed to retake them to improve your grades.

You might put out a separate thread for advice about NCAA approved courses. There's also a number on the linked NCAA webpage that you could try to see if they can give you info about homeschoolers -- several years back, NCAA did away with the homeschooling liaison, but what with so many students at home or switching to homeschooling during COVID, they may have someone back in that position again.

Here are some OLDER threads on NCAA (all of these threads, plus more, are linked on PAGE 4 of the big thread "College Motherlode", pinned at the top of the WTM College Board). So, things have likely changed since these threads, but these might give you a starting point:

Overview topics
NCAA Eligibility Center: our experience (personal experience) — Sept 11 2018
A high school athlete’s journey (personal experiences over 18 months of the process) — Jan 23 2012
NCAA follow up (continuation of above thread) — Jan 14 2014

NCAA and Homeschoolers
Warning: NCAA Eliminated the Homeschool Department -- Aug 15 2017,
Navigating NCAA and planning high school - help, please! -- Oct 24 2014
Moms of athletes: talk to me about NCAA requirements — Dec 4 2015

Eligibility: Core Requirements / Transcripts / Records
NCAA Div I transcripts (what is the NCAA process?) — Jan 20 2016
NCAA homeschool requirements (transcript and core requirements) — Oct 14 2015

Approved / Not Approved coursework
NCAA and planning ahead (approved courses?) — Feb 3 2018
NCAA (approved classes) — Mar 4 2015
DS and NCAA (does NCAA allow you to count credits from middle school) -- Jan 22 2015
NCCA: help (acceptable courses? Common Core required?) — July 22 2015
NCAA rejects K12 courses — April 28 2015

Thank you so much!!!