Menu

DD7 thinks she MUST HAVE Samantha, the retiring AG doll. WWYD?

Abbie has never mentioned Samantha before, but last week when she found out that Samantha was sold out on the website, she wept and wailed about how much she wants her. I have not heard her talk about Samantha before, so I was a little surprised. MIL went to the AG store in Chicago, and there were no more Samanthas. Their suggestion is to wait for the new doll coming in January, since there will be accessories etc. available for her.

On the AG website, you can still order Samantha, although she's backordered until May (since birthdays are in March this means Abbie will have to wait a LONG time for Samantha - like next Christmas, unless she wants to try to earn her before then).

Here's the thing. I think Abbie is suffering from wanting what she can't have. I don't think she will die without Samantha. But, if she has her sweet little heart set on this doll and only this doll, I'm willing to get Samantha for her. However, I think it makes more sense to see what she thinks of the new doll, who is sure to be lovely, and see who the new doll of the year is going to be.

The question is, do I pose this to Abbie, and see if she really does want Samantha? She's a child who gets her heart set on something and rarely changes her mind. Or, do I just tell her that we can't get Samantha and encourage her to look forward to the new dolls?

I'm torn. I hate to see her so disappointed, but at the same time, I have no idea where this came from. She's never mentioned that Samantha would be her "next doll," if there were to be one - she already has Marisol and Elizabeth. Why not Felicity, for Pete's sake? Ah, my sweet Abbie-girl. She is not known for making a great deal of sense (a trait she has most likely inherited from her mother).

My dd did something similar. She had never mentioned Samantha, and had been quite adament that she wanted one of two other dolls. She wouldn't even tell me which one she wanted more! Then, she realized that this was her last chance at Samantha, and she started telling me she wanted her instead. Um... the order had already been placed for one of the others, so I felt a bit stuck. I asked her if that meant she liked Samantha better than the other two she had mentioned before, and she explained her reasoning - that this was the last chance, and that the others would still be available at her birthday. Big dreams, this one!!! When I told her it was unlikely she would get another one at her birthday, if she even got one at Christmas, and did she really want Samantha or one of the other ones, she said she still liked the others better. Problem solved.

I hope your situation resolves as easily!

Honestly, I would get Samantha now...if your daughter would be very careful with her. Even if a special edition comes out eventually, Samantha will be worth something some day. I have toys like this that are worth money now, and I'm very, very glad that I was indulged as a child, and received them.

It is an indulgence though...obviously no one will be bereft of childhood joy forever if they don't get a certain toy or doll. But if it's possible...and your daughter is willing to wait, I would let her.

I think I would explain the wants vs. needs issue. We are going through this right now with a DS, and we just aren't getting one. I figure they have enough electronics time between the TV and the computer, so I don't want to add another device in the mix. Things may change in the future, but for now we aren't getting one.

Yeah, we were at AG in Chicago Sunday and Samantha is GONE. Have her fall in love with a different doll - tell her Sam. had to go back to 1904. :-(

I think it is STUPID of them to remove one of the more popular dolls - unless they plan to bring in an new doll from 1894 or 1914......

My 8 yo dd did the same thing when she found out Samantha was retiring. She had expressed no interest in this doll until then!!

When I found out that several of the items were already soldout or backordered, I told her that it didn't make sense to get her when she wouldn't have a chance to get any more clothing or accessories in the future.

Oddly enough, she also decided last minute that she liked Josefina as well! After wanting Elizabeth for two years! Well, Mema ordered Elizabeth and that's what she's getting - byt dd finally admitted that she likes all the dolls so I think she will be happy!

But I thought the whole Samantha thing was a good lesson for her - Lately it seems that my kids get everything they want (for Birthdays and Christmas). It helps to realize that they can't have everything they want.

Honestly, I would explain to my daughter the concept of advertising. She is doing to deal with this over and over in life. The idea that "it's the last of it's kind," a "must have", "retiring soon." These are just gimicks. Easier to learn it at 7, then struggle with it at 35.

Thanks, ladies. We did talk about it - and she decided that she would be happy with the Samantha mini-doll. I'm going to see if I can order that for her birthday.

She really likes Samantha's dress, and I think would have been happy with that, but nearly all her stuff is gone. You can still order the doll with her basic accessories on the website, and I think her nightgown or something, but that's about it. If I could have ordered just the dress, I would have.

She's not going to be hard on the doll, but it would be for playing, rather than for collecting, so it's not something I'd get for her with future value in mind at this point. I have 2 Mary Kay Barbies in my closet that no one is allowed to touch for that reason. Heh.

We got a teeny peek at the new doll of the year for 2009, and the movie, Chrissa, I think her name is, and now she might want Chrissa instead of Samantha. So, I think it was good for her to see that there will certainly be other dolls she will be interested in, and that Samantha is not the doll to end all dolls, necessarily. :lol: I know I get too invested in silly things like this - but I do like to make my girls happy and sometimes it's hard to gauge just how important these things are to them, you know?

Thanks again. I appreciate the input so much!

My dds were the same way. Apparently though they had wanted Nellie all along. they had never expressed interest in Samantha so I didn't think they would care that she was being "archived" but they were upset. They bought Nellie with their own money and my mil bought them Samantha for Christmas (it's in my closet and they will be so surprised!)