Menu

Pneumonia, Amoxicillan, & Rashes! Oh my!

We took our daughter to the E.R. on 2/12/08 and found out she has Pneumonia. They gave her an antibiotic shot and a Rx for Amoxicillian. She has been taking the Amoxicillian (1tsp 4x/day) since 2/13 and has had a rash on her bottom for the past 3days. Her bowel movements are all out of wack (loose, runny) and the rash covers her bottom (redness with a spot of broken skin).

I spoke with the advice nurse with her pediatrician's office and was told to:

air dry as much as possible

no wipes; wet paper towel to clean

soak in tub for 10 min. with 2T of baking soda when needed

use Lotrimin cream (if skin is not broken)

...call back in (3) days if not better.

I called...and got no answer:O(

And to make matters more complicated...we just moved to a different county (same state) and the insurance my daughter has will only cover E.R. visits out of county.

Any and all advice at this point will be greatly appreciated. Do I need to change antibiotics? She has about (6) more days to go. It hurts me to see my baby hurt, kwim?

Thank you all!

But my ds was in neo-natal intensive care for the 1st 2 weeks of his life. He was on antibiotics that whole time, and his bottom was so sore from the rashes that he bled.

I soaked my little boy's behind in salt water a LOT. It really helped him to scab up nicely and dry the sores. Then I dried him off with a hair dryer set on warm. I set him on a blanket on his tummy (which was on a shower curtain) in the sunshine as much as I could.

I wonder if your child could take acidophilus?

Yup:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T080400.asp

This would help the intestinal tract and the rash. Keep giving it for a full 2 weeks after the antibiotic is done--it takes a long time for the antibiotic to get out of the body.

Good luck--

But my ds was in neo-natal intensive care for the 1st 2 weeks of his life. He was on antibiotics that whole time, and his bottom was so sore from the rashes that he bled.

I soaked my little boy's behind in salt water a LOT. It really helped him to scab up nicely and dried the sores. Then I dried him off with a hair dryer set on warm. I set him on a blanket on his tummy (which was on a shower curtain) in the sunshine as much as I could.

I wonder if your child could take acidophilus?

Yup:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T080400.asp

This would help the intestinal tract and the rash. Keep giving it for a full 2 weeks after the antibiotic is done--it takes a long time for the antibiotic to get out of the body.

Good luck--

Bless you Jean! I clicked on the link above and found all the answers to my questions. I really appreciate you sharing this with me! I hope this will help someone else!

Jean's advice was *excellent*. I just had one more piece of advice to share. My 2nd dd was a very sick infant and because of all of her meds, she suffered with lots of diaper rash. Rather than wet paper towels, I found that putting warm (tepid) water in a spray bottle, spraying her bottom and then patting dry with a very soft cloth made her so much more comfortable. It would be worth a try, I would think. Blessings to you and your wee one. I hope the rash clears quickly!

Lisa

Jean's advice was *excellent*. I just had one more piece of advice to share. My 2nd dd was a very sick infant and because of all of her meds, she suffered with lots of diaper rash. Rather than wet paper towels, I found that putting warm (tepid) water in a spray bottle, spraying her bottom and then patting dry with a very soft cloth made her so much more comfortable. It would be worth a try, I would think. Blessings to you and your wee one. I hope the rash clears quickly!

Lisa

Lisa I would have never thought of using a spray bottle! Wisdom abound on these forum:O)

Thank you!