Menu

Queen Elizabeth II has passed away

Catwoman

I saw this poem. I thought it was particularly nice. 

“Phillip came to me today, 
and said it was time to go. 
I looked at him and smiled,
as i whispered that "I know"

I then turned and looked behind me, 
and seen I was asleep. 
All my Family were around me, 
and I could hear them weep. 

I gently touched each shoulder, 
with Phillip by my side. 
Then I turned away and walked, 
with My Angel guide. 

Phillip held my hand, 
as he lead the way, 
to a world where King's and Queens, 
are Monarch's every day. 

I was  given a crown to wear
or a Halo known by some. 
The difference is up here, 
they are worn by everyone. 

I felt a sense of peace, 
my reign had seen its end. 
70 years I had served my Country, 
as the peoples friend. 

Thank you for the years, 
for all your time and love. 
Now I am one of two again, 
in our Palace up above.”

Poem borrowed from and written by unknown author

It’s certainly the end of an era. Feels strange even though I have no connection to this whatsoever. What a life. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I love that!

I have found myself singing God Save the Queen off and on all day.   Having grown up in a former British Colony, she made a huge presence.   

In fact, she became queen while on holiday in Kenya.   

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3

I was within 5 feet of her during a parade when I was in my teens. An American girl next to me said, "The Queen wears brown pantyhose!" This was in the 80's in England.

She lived a long and useful life with much grace and good humour. She died peacefully at home. I hope for the same when my time comes.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t get it. 

She's walking off into (wherever) with a beloved pet (she's raised corgis for ever) and Paddington Bear (a British children's character that she recently had CGI tea with in a little sketch for her 70th year reigning) who are keeping her company, and making sure she doesn't feel alone. The Corgi is trailing banners reminiscent of the 70th year celebration and the bear is trailing tea sandwiches, which (I think) both the Queen and the Bear said that they enjoy taking along when they travel anywhere (in the sketch). The mood is warm and comfortable, a bitter-sweet transition to (wherever), with emphasis on 'a job well done' and well-celebrated by the recent 70th year 'Jubilee' celebrations.

Although many corgis probably predeceased the Queen, I don't think there's any implication that Paddington is going away / dying with the Queen inherent in the image. He's just being kind and walking with her as a friend.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 13

18 minutes ago, bolt. said:

She's walking off into (wherever) with a beloved pet (she's raised corgis for ever) and Paddington Bear (a British children's character that she recently had CGI tea with in a little sketch for her 70th year reigning) who are keeping her company, and making sure she doesn't feel alone. The Corgi is trailing banners reminiscent of the 70th year celebration and the bear is trailing tea sandwiches, which (I think) both the Queen and the Bear said that they enjoy taking along when they travel anywhere (in the sketch). The mood is warm and comfortable, a bitter-sweet transition to (wherever), with emphasis on 'a job well done' and well-celebrated by the recent 70th year 'Jubilee' celebrations.

Ooooh. Ok.  I thought it was a child and I could not figure out who that was suppose to be.  Makes sense Now. Thank you. 

27 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I thought his speech was nice…

Especially paired with the knowledge of just how seriously she took her constitutional duties both as head of state and as being answerable to God as head of the church. I am sure that various monarchs throughout time wielded those roles in various ways to various ends, but she seems to have been especially earnest about them (and I gather that her father was very earnest as well, at least about his head of state role--not sure about his religious beliefs). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I feel unhappy at passing out of the second Elizabethan era, for complicated reasons. 

A child at school told me, unprompted, not to feel sad about the Queen dying, because 'she died in a nice, warm bed.'

Which is very true!

I hope that's how I go.

• Like 4