Menu

Austin TX area people…..hotel question

Ottakee

My daughter and I need a hotel for one night in Austin.  We fly out at 9:30am so need to be to the airport about 7:30am.

i am looking at the Drury Inn on 135 North which is about 14 miles from the airport.  Is that way too far away?  How is traffic during rush hour on a Monday?

if this is too far away, any other good hotel suggestions near the airport?  They seem to be either above $200/night or have really bad recent reviews.   I don’t need fancy, just clean and safe.  Drury is appealing due to free dinner and free breakfast but if it is too far away I would like to know that.

Way too far. It’s going to take you an hour or more if there’s an accident. 

Most hotels near the airport are going to be $150-$200 minimum. There is a La Quinta and a Wyndham Garden near-ish to the airport. You can probably get a room closer to $100. Try to stay near Highway 71 or Montopolis. You don’t want to be north of the river on IH-35 if you can avoid it. 

Edited by Big Buckin' Longhorn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Have you looked at the Hampton Inn in Buda? It’s by Cabela’s, free breakfast, and not horribly far. 

(ETA: you could use 45 and 183 as a workaround off 35. It will still be an early morning, but not horrible.)

Buda is still quite a distance from the airport. I used to live in a house close enough to the airport I could not get home once when a president was flying in. And my kid's daycare was in Buda. It was a 30-45 minute drive everytime I had to do it.  That 45/130 is a toll road. and it does not have any manned stations to take cash. It might well be faster despite taking you out of your way. I know when going to the airport from 24mi north I often travel down on the toll road due to being more consistent.

I do travel as part of my job and we book at the Microtel Austin Airport. It's fine. Not great, but the guys have never had any problems there and they all have flights to catch, so it works ok. The management is very responsive. The LaQuinta in Kyle, TX is another place we stay if we want nicer, but it's farther away. The talent stays at the Hampton Inn Austin Airport South, but it's too expensive for the regular crew. (They're in Austin 2-3 times a year for a week, but it's been several months since they've been there)

4 hours ago, scholarly said:

I do travel as part of my job and we book at the Microtel Austin Airport. It's fine. Not great, but the guys have never had any problems there and they all have flights to catch, so it works ok. The management is very responsive. The LaQuinta in Kyle, TX is another place we stay if we want nicer, but it's farther away. The talent stays at the Hampton Inn Austin Airport South, but it's too expensive for the regular crew. (They're in Austin 2-3 times a year for a week, but it's been several months since they've been there)

The micro tel is what I was looking at last night.  Thanks for letting me know it would be safe, etc.

Does it have to be a hotel? Because honestly, I would stay in a cabin at McKinney Falls State Park since it is right next to the airport. It is quieter and more fun than any hotel. The only downside is you would need your own linens and you have to use campground bathrooms. But if you exit the park northeast onto Hwy 183 you will be alongside the airport. Don't exit the park to the west, though or you will be on I-35 and stuck in traffic for all eternity.

1 hour ago, Clear Creek said:

Does it have to be a hotel? Because honestly, I would stay in a cabin at McKinney Falls State Park since it is right next to the airport. It is quieter and more fun than any hotel. The only downside is you would need your own linens and you have to use campground bathrooms. But if you exit the park northeast onto Hwy 183 you will be alongside the airport. Don't exit the park to the west, though or you will be on I-35 and stuck in traffic for all eternity.

Linens would be the issue due to flying otherwise I would be totally for that

15 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

Can you give me the dates or PM me the dates?    There are a few weekends where major events will make staying in Austin extremely expensive... For travel times-- rush hour around 7am is not bad-- it is HORRID around 8 near the airport...

I will pm you